Monday, July 11, 2005

Harder! Deeper! Harder! Deeper.


Nope, still not deep enough yet. Posted by Picasa

Go read all of Bob Herbert in the NYT today; like someone or other says on “The Simpsons” about every nine episodes or so, he says what we’re thinking.


July 11, 2005
It Just Gets Worse

Back in March 2004 President Bush had a great time displaying what he felt was a hilarious set of photos showing him searching the Oval Office for the weapons of mass destruction that hadn't been found in Iraq. It was a spoof he performed at the annual dinner of the Radio and Television Correspondents' Association.

Close to 600 Americans had already died in Iraq when Mr. Bush was cracking up the audience with his tasteless photos at the glittering Washington gathering. The toll of Americans has now passed 1,750. Tens of thousands of Iraqis have died. Scores of thousands of men, women and children have been horribly wounded. And there is no end in sight.

The C.I.A. warned the administration in a classified report in May that Iraq - since the American invasion in 2003 - had become a training ground in which novice terrorists were schooled in assassinations, kidnappings, car bombings and other terror techniques. The report said Iraq could prove to be more effective than Afghanistan in the early days of Al Qaeda as a place to train terrorists who could then disperse to other parts of the world, including the United States.

Has the president given any thought to leveling with the American people about how bad the situation has become? And is he even considering what for him would be the radical notion of soliciting the counsel of wise men and women who might give him a different perspective on war and terror than the Kool-Aid-drinking true believers who have brought us to this dreadful state of affairs? The true believers continue to argue that the proper strategy is to stay the current catastrophic course.
Americans are paying a fearful price for Mr. Bush's adventure in Iraq. In addition to the toll of dead and wounded, the war is costing about $5 billion a month.

Whatever one's views on the war, thoughtful Americans need to consider the damage it is doing to the United States, and the bitter anger that it has provoked among Muslims around the world. That anger is spreading like an unchecked fire in an incredibly vast field.

The hole we're in is deep enough. We need to stop digging.


As always, a thick slice of perfectly grilled, bone-in steak from Mr. Herbert, who, if we weren’t living in Bizarro America, would have David Brooks’ office, salary and teevee gigs (not so much with the electric pink wardrobe however.) And BoBo would be plying his trade on the cold, 2:00 D.C. streets, offering up his famous bareback “Ownership Society” special for $25 though the anonymous open windows of the cars of Conservative Congressmen DownLow and Denial.

And what Bob Herbert is describing is, of course, exactly what a Responsible Adult would do. Our nation’s children, fortunes and reputation are trapped in a burning building called Iraq. The cause is arson, and the man still who started the blaze is still lobbing Molotov cocktails through the bedroom windows.

What we Liberals and Progressives will never forgive is that long after it was clear that this Administration had lied incessantly and catastrophically to get us into a war, the conservatives still stood beside him and backed his play. Long after it became glaringly obvious that the conflagration George W. Bush had voluntarily and unnecessarily started was making everything worse by any yardstick you care to use, conservatives not only refused to join the bucket brigade, they actually strolled around the block and carefully locked the doors so that no one could get out.

Then knelt on sidewalk to pray for Sweet Baby Jesus to send the Stay The Course Fairy, who will magically make everything OK. Or holed-up in the safety of a hotel bar in Vegas to pass fierce little resolutions expressing solidarity with the people that they would never in a jillion years support with their own skin, even if their lives depended on it.

Which, according to them, it does.

After Watergate, there were a fair number of people who opined that Nixon shoulda just owned up to it early. Should have taken some responsibility, fired some token deck-hands as over-zealous and gone on teevee to say he was truly sorry for the actions of a few underlings who were blinded by loyalty, and that that would have done it. It would’ve cauterized the wound and Nixon would have survived.

I think it might have worked, if only because it would have been a very astute political read of human nature American Style. Why? Because we love forgiving people in this country. We love surprise confessions and contrite villains. We love the drama of a redemptive Second or Third Act.

Iraqgate II: The Wrath of Cheney, OTOH, has dragged on far, far too long. Too many of the darkest speculations of the anti-War factions have proved to be irrefutably true. The lies, stacked atop one another like Party of Lincoln Logs, are now piled so high that any hope of climbing gracefully back down from them is gone.

The Bush Administration never gave a shit about this country except as raw material for their cronies to loot and political patronage for the Christopaths who gave them the White House. This country – the actual county; the complex, brilliant, diverse, maddening, potential of a place – is alien to them.

If they cared about the lives of the kids they piss away into the sands as they chase down their Imperial Mirage, they would have been straight with us from the start. They would have given us the facts – level and true – and then ask for our trust based on that essential act of faith between a people and its government. Or, at least, if for no other reason than raw political motivation, they would have come to us as a Nation once the truth was finally clear and tried to play it off as if they were as baffled as anyone else.

I mean, what was the plan here?

They had to know the lie would not last, so what was the plan – not for after Victory – but for after the treasonous charade that faked us into Bush’s War started to come apart?

Based on current behavior, I am compelled to believe that part of the strategery was to give the world that creepy Bush-giggle and basically say, well, fuck it! GW dropped hundreds of thousands of US soldiers into harm’s way and threw the world into chaos...which means he got what he wanted. He wove for us a noose of lies, dragged us into the desert, stranded us there and made us hostage to events, which I have to believe was the plan all along. Like a drunk driving a car into ravine, the Bush “plan” seems to be to make sure the situation is so disastrous that getting around to holding the criminals who caused the problems in the first place will probably only start long after GW has finished his Presidential Lib’ary.

I wonder? Can you court martial the Commander-in-Chief? Skip past the political difficulties of getting a neutered Republican Congress to hold him to account for anything, including war crimes?

Just curious.

The second party of the plan seems to be the Deny Everything. Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny. And then Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny Deny some more. I mean, let’s get serious; any party that goes out of its way to court fucktards in significant numbers that believe in Creationism will pretty much believe any crazy shit you tell them, as long as you bang a bible and bash a queer while you’re saying it.

Besided, the Republicans are the only modern political party to have impeached a President. Over trivia. They set the bar so stratospherically high in order to take their revenge on Clinton, they cannot afford any admission of error or falsehood of ANY kind.

No, as long as these thugs hold the reins of power, the Truth is off the table. And the resources of the government and the Nation will turn ever more away from attending to the People’s Legitimate Business, and ever more towards serving the Great Lie until covering up the Treasons of George Bush becomes the all-consuming job of the entire Executive Branch.

Which means we can look forward to another three years of lies spiraling ever wider and wilder, as the Bush Administration and their minions hunker down behind the bodies of the fallen, screaming “Everything’s Fine!!” as the fire rages on, the roof beams collapse and the walls come tumbling down.

54 comments:

drumwolf said...

They do way more than just deny. They also try to take certain facts out of context or take certain things and blow them out of proportion for their own ends. And they try to project their own misdeeds on us. It's the three D's: Distort, Deny and Deflect.

Anonymous said...

You forgot the fourth D: disassemble......

Anonymous said...

Here's a meme for you:

What did the lying bastard know, and when did the lying bastard know it?

I think I'll freeway blog that one.....

Anonymous said...

Link doesn't work.

www.freewayblogger.com

You know how to find it.....

Anonymous said...

Alright Chillrun's; enough of the "liberal arts" :-)

Time to work on the math. (I know it's not as much fun, but it IS the root of all knowledge.)

About 10 days ago, 103 members of the Iraqi Parliament (the same one that bushCo is SOOO proud of!) signed a petition demanding that junior set a timetable for withdrawing from Iraq.

That's 103 out of 275, which (wait a minute, I gotta take off my shoes and socks) I believe leaves them 35 short of a simple majority. As in; a DEMOCRATIC simple majority.
And this is the second time they've done the petition thingy; they picked up 20 more signees in about a week. I wonder how long it will take them to get that other 35?
And when all those purple fingers come together, and make one BIG purple finger (the middle one) and they show it to George Bush, is he going to do an Oliver Cromwell and say:

"No, this is not what I meant by an independent Iraq. You have sat too long for any good you may be doing. (12 weeks...)

Parliament is dissolved. Go home to your families and your concrete blast barriers; and to your 120 degree heat and your 6 hours of electricity a day;
Cherish the car-bombings and assassinations I have brought you.
They are the REAL indicators of democracy; NOT biting the hand that has bestowed it upon you.

God save the King. (That would be me.)"

Anonymous said...

Once again, drifty, you have put my choatic thoughts and feelings into a beautiful rant that says it all.

I wonder with Mac, "Does all this blogging just make us feel better because we know the rest of us are out there, or is there some hope that all this talking we're doing will amount to something that makes a difference against the vast Conservative nutso machine?"

I KNOW it makes me feel better! I hope and pray that all this talking will lead to making a difference. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Driftglass- is that photo of the Climax Molebdenum Mine in Colorado? Just curious.

Seems like the system is going to have to break down a fair bit more before our society can make the requisite shift in consciousness that will take us to new level of organization, one that is more functional.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what kind of mine that is, but the metal is spelled MOLYBDENUM. It's special to me because at the last Bohemian Grove meeting, the high priests of the Great Cee-mint Owl put me in charge of world molybdenum prices. If I do a really good job, I get charge of chromium and tungsten as well. WOW! All of periodic group 6B to myself! Happy happy joy joy!

Drunk with power, Monster from the Id

Anonymous said...

Molybdenum- thanks Monster. Perhaps I was thinking of mole and need to get some good Mexican food.

Anonymous said...

Well put Driftglass. And I agree, we won't see anything for the next three years but the continued degradation of the media, the government and the robbing of anything physically able to be carted away.

It's almnost quaint, one of the first lies planted by this administration was the previous executives stole stupid stupid from the office and vandalized things. This administration, from the outset, has done so, very publicly, on a, quite literally, global scale.

It makes me sad.

Anonymous said...

It just keeps me from giving up.
History isn't all that encouraging. We all knew that Tricky Dick was a lying asshole (feel free to substitute your own noun) all the way back to his House of Representatives days. Way back THEN he won by character assasination. So he was condemned for cover-up, but later it was confirmed he was into the Watergate thing from the start. Still the house didn't fall until we all heard about his cheating on taxes.
We get only a four year break until 12 years of Reagan-Bush. For Californians that meant 16 years of Reagan! I'm depressing myself. Now we've got this shit stick, uh twig.
The surviving Democrats usually respond by trying to be like those who win (steal) the election.
Thank you all for giving these creeps the finger. GO DRIFTY

Anonymous said...

MSNBC on-line poll:

Fire Rove?

86%---yes

11%---no

3%---don't know

Sheeeitt! Is our side voting early and often? :-)

Mr. Natural said...

I liked Macs question...are we only talking blog-talk to make each other feel better? If so, that's fine, but I like to think that our poli-talk blogging will weight things to a thoughtful tipping point one of these days. Just THEN I read here that dipshit's fucking NUMBERS ARE UP. Thanks to people like DRIFTY here and hunderds of others who all work together to help each other retain some sort of hope for the future! I read over at upper left that "Kicking Ass" was coming back. LINK http://upper-left.blogspot.com/2005_07_10_upper-left_archive.html#112114464191744567

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we are talkin' to each other, to make us feel better.

We should. It's awful to think that you're alone in your dispair, at what these rich shitheads and their too-dumb-to-even-have-any-self-interest supporters, have done to us.

When I read that Condoleeza Rice had had an Exxon oil tanker named after her (since, quietly RE-NAMED) I wanted to bite the heads off some chickens.

Now, I have a support group...

My name is Tanbark, and I'm an ameriKan...

Anonymous said...

Absolutely concur on Bob Herbert.

He is a shing star in a dark journalistic sky.

Anonymous said...

Bush is a Texan Steer & Queer......I don't see any horns!!!!!!!!!!, LOL!!!!!!!!!.

Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed

Anonymous said...

Post your Ad to everyday after that, you'll also be able to generate a Viral Traffic Streams absolutely FREE!

Anonymous said...

Hello! What at great blog you have going. I blog about business marketing. I am also offering the eBook "Adsense Empire" to my visitors.... Stop by & get your copy today

Anonymous said...

how can i start a blog

Anonymous said...

Take a moment and really look at the good work you have here. Anyone visiting will appreciate it.
car part portland

Anonymous said...

Hi, Fellow! I like your blog!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a ways to make money
site. It pretty much covers ways to make money related subjects.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

can i get more info?

Anonymous said...

This is a very nice site. I was out looking for "canned pumpkin + low-carb recipe" and found your blog in the process.

Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

If you really want to dig into this, you should check out laser eye surgery green bay

Anonymous said...

One of the better results I saw from my fasting experience was that I have more self control over my eating habits. I have always been a binge type of eater. After my fast, I felt like I could restrain myself easier. It is proberbly a mental attribute. I mean I can go without eating for 7 days then I sure can keep myself from eating something I shouldn't.
Link to this site. vegan weight loss diet

Anonymous said...

This new breakthrough home internet based business opportunity gives you many of the benefits of owning a huge shopping center that sells over one million in-demand products - without the headaches and expense of running a "regular" shopping center!

Anonymous said...

One of the better results I saw from my fasting experience was that I have more self control over my eating habits. I have always been a binge type of eater. After my fast, I felt like I could restrain myself easier. It is proberbly a mental attribute. I mean I can go without eating for 7 days then I sure can keep myself from eating something I shouldn't.
Link to this site. 6 week weight loss plan

Anonymous said...

Although I don't think you can use fasting as a diet or weight loss program, I do feel that it can be a great start to a proper weight loss diet and exercise program. I think it is definitely something that everyone should do at least once a year.
Link to this site. exercise

Anonymous said...

A good read. Thaks for all the good info.

Regards,
Stock Options Trader
option volatility trading

Anonymous said...

It's time to take charge of your future and independence by having your own business!

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on telework I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on telework and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the telework related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Good comments. But, I do not agree with most of them. People sure have a lot of time on their hands.

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!! Black Horse

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!! Black Horse

Anonymous said...

Hey just to let you know that yes I am promoting this but if you dont want to save at the pump then dont go to the site but I believe no matter who you are gas is just to expensive.

The goverment is using it and many other huge company's. This is not just some fly by night company or product. This is the real deal.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Nice job you've done here.

Sincerely,
Stock Trader
trading option forum

Anonymous said...

A good read. Thanks for all the good info.

Regards,
Stock & ETF Trader
make money option trading

Anonymous said...

Interesting reading... Keep up the good work...

Regards,
Stock Trading Guru
forex trading signal

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both
reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my www auto trader com site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

I am a fan - very cool stuff!!
mini forex

Anonymous said...

This blog looks good and works well - good info. Message from reputable affiliate programs

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a online marketing home based business site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my stock trailer site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a stock trailer site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my stock options site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

LETS GO!! - Very Nicely said!

Pete - http://www.easy-forex-broker.ssr.be - easy forex

Anonymous said...

online forex trading - Hello, keep up the great work. I had a nice read on this site.

Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following shops blog, it is cool to!

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my antique cars for sale tucker site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following roulette Blog, it is cool to!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Emini Daytrader
forex
http://www.daytradingcourse.com