Sunday, July 10, 2005

Funeral for a friend.


'bye Teach. I'll miss you like a milkshake. Posted by Picasa


You get to a certain place, a certain point in the arc of your life, and unless you’re an idiot, you do some things better.

You’ve seen this and that once or twice before – different masks, same gremlins -- so you’re more apt to know a genuine crisis from a bug on the windshield. You know the difference between the buttery hum of a wee dram of good single-malt from skull-busting stupidification dog-water. You know how to tie a full-Windsor. You know how to be a good lover. You get comfortable wearing your own skin and don’t get too cranked over fire and boat drills.

I mean, how do you get a hard-on for the latest fad-rags when you've survived parachute pants ;-)

Those are the upsides.

One of the downsides is that some immaculate Saturday mornings your have to put on you church shoes, tie a neat, black full-Windsor, and go to the funeral of a friend.

Just one of those things, so you put a gloss on the Rockports, straighten up, remember the manners and hymns your mother taught you, and go be there for your friend.

Most of us have a teacher or two who saved our lives when we were little. The adult who, in my case, looked around conspiratorially, and pressed a not-exactly-authorized-for-my-age group copies of “The October Country” and “The Illustrated Man” and so forth into my hands and whispered, “I think you’ll like this.”

But the kinetic energy needed to bulldog us out of one orbit and into another – even marginally – grows as we do. There’s a gravity that comes with the sureties of years, and as beneficial it is to grow in ease and certainty, the escape velocity required for new ideas and new beliefs can also become very high.

It’s a trade and a balance. Balance of trade. Something like that.

I was lucky enough to have such a teacher/mentor/friend as an adult. One of those force-of-nature people.

To hear her eulogized today, you might have thought (if you were just passing by) that she was some kind of G-rated heroine; kind, loyal, god fearin’. There were a lot more words like that – words that maybe too often we associate with, well, not weakness, but with a certain goody-two-shoedness that implies that you won’t open up someone’s skull with a verbal snow-shovel if the situation calls for it.

Ha!

She was a broad, in the purest Sinatra sense. Honest and honorable. A smile measured in megawatts. Liked good wine and good martinis. And dancing. Held court like a pro. Knew every-fucking-body, and loved hooking her friends up with each other. And somewhere along the line someone taught her to cuss really well. Grabbed life by the fistful, as if friendship and the pleasures of living were her simple due, occasionally withheld from her like a lazy student trying to skate past completing a paper.

Uh-Uh. She wasn’t going to allow that, and sometimes just had to pick life up by the ankles and explain that you didn’t screw with some people.

She deployed all of those skills to teach.

She had had breast cancer for a long time. She had all the surgery and the chemo -- got right up in its face, fought it like a Berserker, rallied, faltered, and then died last week.

There were a few of us there that knew each other, and we did what you do; Told stories, comforted each other and talked smack about the people who weren’t there :-)

As long as things like gay-bashing aren’t on the menu, I’m mostly fine with church. I know most of the songs, and when to say “Amen”. People who stood and eulogized were applauded, which I didn’t know people did. The chapel has a decent AV setup and they did a slide-show with a sound-track, which I didn’t know people did either.

Church, when it invites me to sit in quiet contemplation, and listen to music and tales, is when I like it best. When there is an occasion where the power of the group and the music and our shared thoughts are palpably more powerful than the simple sum of those present. When something undeniably bigger than all of us is invoked and bears us up. It gave me a chance to think about my friend without interruption, and in the company of people doing the same.

Please resist any temptation that leans towards “I’m sorry.” Baby, never forget that we all have to take that long last walk someday, and she took her's with class and grace.

I’m lucky that she passed my way; whether that had anything to do with anything divine – whether “the divine” even exists outside our imagination – isn’t knowable. And its really not important. Communion with great souls and kind hearts is either holy per se, or such a fine simulation of what holiness should be that specific proofs are not required.

Then a long drive back, 70’s hits on the radio, with planned detours for work, dinner and drinks with a friend. It was going to be a long and rather sad day, and I had already mentally projected myself right past the afternoon and was busily worrying myself mentally into the evening when I hit the Michigan Avenue bridge on Lake Shore Drive. This is where the Chicago River joins with the lake, and during the boating season the bridges up and down the river are balletically raised periodically like an ultra-slow-motion kick-line to allow the taller vessels through.

That’s what the blog post picture is: just after noon on this sparkly summer day, they raised the bridge and brought traffic to a stop. A really long stop too. This big, stone hand just imposed its itself on the busiest street in the busiest city for a thousand miles in any direction, at a few ticks after noon on a busy summer Saturday and told us all, like it or not, busy or not, we were all just going calm the fuck down and relax now.

After awhile people started getting out of their cars and seeing what’s what, plus I have to figure out that anything weird gong on with a lot of people and traffic is going to trigger at least a little, subliminal terrorist fear. And I bopped along to my radio, and took a few pix, and then the thought came to be, “What would my friend have done?” I thought about it seriously for a minute, wondering what might she actually DO, and what I might actually do if she were here and I wanted to crack us both up a bit...

...so I got out of my car and danced :-)

Just for a few seconds and not well – trust me, me dancing is not a pretty sight – but a little Zorba-on-the-beach. Danced in the middle Michigan Avenue in the middle of the day, in the middle of Saturday traffic.

Now how many people have done that and live to tell the tale?

Then we were rolling again, and life resumed its forward motion at its original speed, but because of the day and the company, the memories and the music, the reflective pause and the bit of dance, I was a just the littlest iota different and and happier than I had been when I rolled out of bed this morning.

I think, as a teacher, she would have been delighted.

And I think, as a friend, she would have said, well shit Driftglass honey, as long as you're up, how about bringing this old lady another martini. And tell the bartender not to be so fucking stingy with the Ketel One this time.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing thse simple and moving words about just being human. This is the antidote to the insanity of our times. Peace.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding...

Mister Roboto said...

And I don't doubt for so much as a second that your friend would be deeply touched by this entry on your blog about her. :-)

Mister Roboto said...

And if you're wondering what ol' Loveandlight is doing up at Stupid O'Clock on Sunday morning, the answer is doing a favor for somebody who probably doesn't even really appreciate it. :-(

Anonymous said...

i love this blog.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thank you.

jojo

Mentis Fugit said...

Lovely, lovely stuff, but what's with the otiose bursts of line noise, aka smileys? Your writing if far too good to need them.

Anonymous said...

As I read this, I reflected on the words I would use to honor those I love, should they pass away. When the time comes, I hope I can approach the eloquence of your example, Driftglass...

Anonymous said...

All I can say Driftglass is 'Wow!"

The emotion is palpable in your words.

Rare gift, that. Especially here in the so-called wild and wooly blogosphere.

Just keep on keepin' on.

LowerManhattanite

Anonymous said...

Nice Eu Drifty. I hope I can earn one that moving.

Anonymous said...

well done.

-Marek

Anonymous said...

I like your heart, drift.

A couple of days ago, I was, for gawd's sake who knows why, thinking about a poor little girl that a lot of us, me included, had concluded was "ugly", and although i don't have a specific memory of hurting her, I do recall our teacher giving us lectures about personal atttacks. 5th Grade??? Two miles out of Georgetown (D.C.) was my stomping grounds, although I spent 3 years in "Carpentersville, Ill" as a 5-7 y.o., and recall walking sideways into the wind;<)

Then I read your post about how you had been (or felt, brother man, we ALL had SOMEONE bigger, stronger and smarter *picking* on us. It's how we coped that matters: You seem to have done *ok*, perhaps because of those wonderful Broads that saw the potential?) bullied, and had felt remorse for taking it out on someone weaker....Seemed like we were on same wave length (hold on, I ain't going there), then when I was reading THAT post, I started thinking "surely, he (driftglassman) must have had a teacher at that school (you alleged NO ONE came to your rescue, untrue, the Broad helped give you armor stronger that you realize, friend) that recognized your potential, and gave you the ammo to survive, gave you the strength to thrive), and WHOA, here THAT is.

Following me, or am I too obtuse?

Your obvious perception of what today's msm truly is: a threat to our cherished way of life, yes? Another convergence.

But, THIS is glorious:

"Communion with great souls and kind hearts is either holy per se, or such a fine simulation of what holiness should be that specific proofs are not required."

DG, what if I stated it this way: The Ceremony, the Ritual, IS the Religion? I won't Bush ya and explain the obvious.

I am not university educated, and I know, it shows.

But, once, I lived on an Indian Reservation, in Northern California. They had an opening for the local high school for a welding instructor, with a teaching degree, OR 5+ years of industrial experience. I had, at that time, 15+. I got the assignment.

Buddy, there is NOTHING, short of the birth of your children, that is a is as wonderful, as watching that *light bulb* literally go off in a young person's mind, and you connect.

I connected with you tonight. You made light bulbs go off in this
old head (see, I disproved your *inertia of old age theory* by using YOUR inspiration): we are feeling sympathy pains, so to speak, survival tactics intelligent folks resort to when under stress/attack.

Know this: I am here for folks like you. A good, solid citizen, a mature adult, the kind of American we need many many more of.
Thanks, friend.

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan so you might like canine influenza

Anonymous said...

Imagine the power of tens of thousands of other web sites being able to easily

Editor said...

Nice blog that you have here.

I have a breast cancer walk site. It pretty much covers Cancer related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-) Cheers / Roger

Anonymous said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know that you blog is lovely! I usually search for used car prices blogs, and found that yours is one of the best... Wanted to say that when searching for used car prices yours usually pops up! keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

Search engine optimization, submission and highly-targeted traffic can be found exclusively at www.TheOnlinePromoters.com

Anonymous said...

The ultimate internet marketing website is www.TheOnlinePromoters.com

Anonymous said...

Good stuff here. Surfing for baby nursery rug sites, actually. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Always in a rush and I don't know why. The last site I was on was about baby nursery rooms which was okay to read. Your's was better.

Anonymous said...

Know anyone who is looking to buy a vehicle or Kia save them thousands.


Kia

Anonymous said...

I really like what you are doing with your blog, and encourage you to keep it up.Genuinely, Lamonica Breast Enlargement Bras

Anonymous said...

WOW....Do you know or have you ever heard of Gotting Money from government grants ..If you are interested in finding out how to get more info on government grants visit us at http://allgrants4u.com... There are so many things you can get grants for.. Homes, school, work, business, college..ect.. Find out how everybody is getting money from government grants today... Quit living in poverty educate yourself and improve your life..

Anonymous said...

Hey, cool blog you got here. I'm a nut case surfer, but l know what I like.
Have a good one!
Always looking for breast_cancer!

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger:)

Cannot understand well enough my situation...... My web blog does not recieve a snigle comment so far...... Nothing!! We like Urs a lot, in fact it is one of my favorites.. Hope We have some sucess as well:)

Regards,
make money fast and easy

Anonymous said...

Few people even scratch the surface, much less exhaust the contemplation of their own hardcore phone sex experience. hardcore phone sex

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainlygot my attention and interest. I was looking for Accessories information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

Anonymous said...

HEEEEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO BLOGGERSSSSSS..

I would like to tell everyone I know about a new web site for website hosting... If you are looking on ways to mkae money starting a business and need a site to host it on . Visit http://webhost-er.com/ Today

Anonymous said...

When looking for news about adult girl gorgeous personals single I got your blog I liked it a lot.
Regards, Kate from Adult Singles

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my adult massage winchester uk site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my adult massage winchester uk site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following vehicle blog, it is cool to!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a toyota matrix infant car seat site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.