Wednesday, November 15, 2023

R.I.P. Zandar

One of the last of the Liberal bloggers, Jonathan David Mott, the proprietor of Zadar Versus the Stupid, has passed away.

His father posted this notice on his blog.

Last Post, Please Read

 Good morning. This is Zandar's Dad. I am sorry to tell you that he passed away over the weekend, peacefully in his sleep. Fortunately, his computer was on and open to this page but I don't know if I will be able to post again. This blog was Jon's passion. He was an ardent advocate for justice and for our Democracy. He was brilliant. He was funny. He never stopped believing in our country but he never stopped fighting the "stupid" and there was plenty of it for him to fight. He was thrilled with KY reelecting a Democratic governor, and he posted up until Friday, but he was feeling sick over the weekend and when he went to bed Saturday night, he thought that he would feel better when he woke up, but he never did. 

I posted a few replies to his recent posts, hoping to get the word out, before I located this page. As I said, this blog is his pride and joy. In many ways, it is his legacy. He greatly appreciated all of you who read the blog, who posted, and who supported ZandarVTS financially. If you are inclined to make a financial donation in his memory, the chosen organization is the American Heart Association, but the BESTthing you can do to honor Jon's memory is to VOTE like your life and your Democracy depend on it, because they do. 

Zandar's full name was Jonathan David Mott. He was born on 6/8/75 in Omaha, NE. His obituary should appear soon on the the Hickory Daily Record website, www.hickoryrecord.com.

Thanks and please VOTE.


I never met Jonathan IRL.  In fact, until today I didn't know his name.  However, we Liberal bloggers are comrades of a kind, each in our own foxhole, all scattered across a vast, dark battlefield, doing our best in our own way to make sure democracy is not snuffed out on our watch.  

And sometimes it can be terrifying out here.  The battle we are engaged in is so very large and we are so very small.  So it was a great comfort to me knowing that, out there in the dark somewhere, Zandar was doing his thing, and that even though I never knew him, he was in this mess with me, and that I was not alone.  

And I hope, in some small way, this little blog out here in the middle of Middle America lets you know that I'm in this mess with you, and that you are not alone.  

7 comments:

XtopherSD said...

Condolencess for the passing of one of your fellow travellers. Though I mostly read Driftglass, I'm hoping you have more than a few bloggger foxhole buddies still out there.

Marc McKenzie said...

My God....Zandar's blog was one I made sure to look at every day. I'm just...stunned reading this.

Tengrain said...

The contest for that bottle of scotch is getting more fierce, Drifty.

Anonymous said...

Dammit, we lost Lance Mannion and the New York Crank not that long ago and now another good one's gone. I always the wrong people keep dying. RIP Zandar.

meremark said...

The Stupid are defeated by voters voting. VOTE

Palolololo said...

Damn! Zandar VTS was the first blog I would read every day. He will be missed.

SouthSideGT said...

Terrible news. I hope you are taking care of yourself, Drifty. Speaking of the health of liberal bloggers.
Any idea what has happened to Dr Zaius and the Zaius Nation blog? I still go back there to search for more classics. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Drifty. More dough after the holidays. -SSGT