Thursday, September 22, 2022

The Old Home Place

 


This was the dining area of Castle Driftglass.  The photo was taken when I was staging the place for sale a decade ago.

A few details.

The little round table by the window was my grandma's -- she kept family photos under the glass.  Grandma was one of the most effective community organizers I have ever met, and a ruthless card cheat when playing double solitaire.

The big book on that table was the Complete Works of William Shakespeare, which I lost, along with half of all my books and a number of other things, when the sewer drains backed up into the basements on our street in Springfield during a mighty storm when the sewer collapsed.  That was also the flood that killed my Camry.

The lovely drafting/art table was handed down to me by my sister.   Part of the deal for the condo was the new owner got to keep it.

The big cabinet thing is a  a mid-century modern wall unit I picked up at the terrific White Elephant Resale Shop, which was located at 2308 North Lincoln Avenue in Chicago and which has since closed.  I bought it for much less than it was worth when I was living in an apartment on Greenview Avenue just north of Irving Park, behind the school where they filmed parts of My Bodyguard.  The cabinet is huge and heavy and has a little drop-leaf cubby that served as my bar for a number of years.   I got it home by lashing it to the roof of my ancient Cutlass and driving it carefully over rough streets with one hand on the wheel and one hand out the window "steadying" it as if that would do any good.   I can still hear the Cutlass' chassis groaning under its weight.  I've hauled it around with me ever since and it is currently out in my garage playing home to one thousand spiders and 10,000 crickets.  

A lot went on in the Castle that I'll probably never share, but one thing I can state categorically is that I never inflated its value to $327 million in order to scam some bank into loaning me money and to impress some other rich assholes.   

As promised, I'll post more photos of the Castle as the mood strikes me.




I Am The Liberal Media.



1 comment:

Robt said...

I too, never inflated the price of my humble abode.

But, after about the 37 phone call from reality magnets that wanted to buy my house. They always asked to sell it and said they would offer top dollar.

So I told the on the 38 the call that I would sell for $ 3 million. They replied with, how did I come to that price since the homes in the area were much less.

I just told them it was an amount that I feel it is worth.

Sure more was said and they were perturbed at my price.
But guess what? They stopped calling.