Friday, September 13, 2019

Professional Left Podcast #511


“There are no friends at cards or world politics."  
--  Finley Peter Dunne, writer


Don't forget to visit our new website -- http://www.proleftpod.com -- for all of the sweet bells and whistles:  there are links to donate to our podcast work at that site, as well as links to our swingin' Zazzle merch store,  our respective blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Kittehs! and much more. Many thanks once again to @theologop for building it all for us!

I'm trying a new embed format provided by Radio Public.  Let me know what you think! Links:

The Professional Left is brought to you by our wholly imaginary "sponsors" and real listeners like you!





3 comments:

dinthebeast said...

I know it shouldn't, but it really burns my duck when I hear them decry "tribalism" as the root of evil in our society.
We evolved to live in tribes, and that style of living worked incredibly well for hundreds of thousands of years prior to the "agricultural revolution" bringing us the concepts of money and work.
Deep in our DNA there is a longing for the inclusion and cradle-to-grave security of the tribe and without awareness of that, it can never really be satisfied, and tends to manifest in substitutes for it, some of which are problematic like gangs and cults and the Republican party...
Rock and roll does it for me, but before that I first encountered it when I was "saved" in front of the Calvary Baptist Church in Eureka, California when I was eleven.
It felt like powerful stuff to me at the time, and it took many years to explain it to myself well enough to move on from things I knew full well could not be true.
Daniel Quinn and Richard Dawkins wrote books that I found helpful in that endeavor.
I hope whatever issues you are dealing with come to better resolutions soon, and I agree that this has been a motherfucker of a week on a personal level.
Thank you again for the podcast, and spare a thought for my friend Zsuzs and her sweet dog Timber, who I was trying to get pictures of to send you. He was a pitbull, and had the sweetest habit of leaping in the air and snapping at soap bubbles Zsuzs blew for him.
He died this week, which necessitated a drive up to the mountains to make sure she was OK and she sort of is and sort of isn't, but knows that we are here for her like she has been there for us. Sort of like a tribe, really.

-Doug in Oakland

driftglass said...

Doug,

That was lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Retired Patriot said...

Drifty - great show this week. Yes, "Mexico is going to pay for it" is my new mantra!