Monday, January 14, 2008

Sunday Morning Comin’ Down



The state of the Sunday Marketplace

Once upon a time I was asked in a very nice way why anyone would waste their time parsing what the Mouse Circus puppeteers were nattering about.

I answered that the Mouse Circus is where trial balloons are launched, weekly messaging is set, where the only-lightly-engaged citizenry goes to get ideas and feel informed and smart, and the wrecked machinery of the American political dialog at the intersection of Bad Politics and Bad Journalism is on its fullest display.

Or, in the immortal words of Peter Griffith, the Mouse Circus “insists upon itself.”

And nowadays?

The Huffington Post almost never fails to host a cultural kitsch-and-bitch.

Crooks and Liars reliably slings vid as hot and fresh as IHOP dealing out silver dollar flapjacks.

There is Fire Dog Lake

There is Atrios

And Talking Points Memo

There is Media Matters

And the inimitable Shakesville

And on and on.

Taken altogether this is a good thing -- no three hours of our national teevee discourse is more desperately in need of a pyroclastic enema than the Sunday Talks -- but with so many big guns tracking every tic and toe-stub, the Sunday marketplace is now positively saturated with good observations, video and dialogue at every major site, and so it is probably time for my little Sunday Morning Comin’ Down pushcart to start fading into the sunset.

Until then, however...

On “This Week”

Sunday Morning found the Evil and Irrelevant Newt Gingrich smirking in front of a camera and cleaning his pelt for the umpteenth time, this time hosted by George Stephanopoulos and raising – for the umpteenth time -- the only question worth asking vis-a-vis Newt:
WTF does anyone care what Newt thinks?


About anything?

Newt’s face belongs on the back of America’s Political Milk Carton. His movement, in the compost heap. It’s leaders, driven from office with pointy sticks, or running through Federal Prison Habitrails for the amusement of paying customers.

And his schtick never changes.

1. Ridiculous, incendiary drivel stated as Categorical Truth:
“Michigan was hit with a Democratic governor in the same way New Orleans was hit by Katrina.”

“McCain/Feingold discriminates against the Middle Class. This is an Objective Fact!”

2. Fringe goofball “solutions” designed to solve nothing but to re-ignite the Glory Days of the “Settin’ The Woods On Fire” Wingnut 90s:

Make English the Official Language!
Build more refineries!


3. Lard everything liberally over with Newt-Brand Adjectives, making sure that “fundamental” is used as often as 9udy uses “9/11”
  • No one is radical enough.
  • Everything need to be dramatically deeper.
  • And more fundamentaller.
  • There are dramatic things we can do with Conservatism!
  • We are at the end of the Bush Era. The Reagan Era.
  • We need to Redefine.
  • Dramatically.
  • And…wait for it…fundamentally
  • It is a fundamental misunderstanding that the GOP needs…

Looking into the absolutely bare cupboard of Conservatism, Newt’s sole gift is to take out the lone, sulfurous, suspect egg and announce, dramatically, “We need to try something even more radical with this smelly egg!”

And because he uses the Bigwords, Conservative ears perk right up. Because nothing is as impressive to Teh Stoopids as them Bigwords.

Newt sayeth: “This last ossified lump of 30-year-old Conservative Sanka needs a fundamental transformation” and the Great Conservative Wad swoons.

And the Conservative chicken nugget preserved in the icebox hoarfrost like a mammoth in frozen tundra? It needs to be dramatically redefined!

Newt knows that the Conservative Base – morally narcoleptic and feverishly tangled in the reeking sheets of his movement’s massive and public failures – still dreams of the magic redemption of a Clean Slate.

For the last seven years they have risen in aching joy each time Bush or one of his surrogates announced – after each and every epic clusterfuck -- that it was a mistake to “look backwards”. Because behind them is that scary place full of nation-fires they started, wreckage they created, towering debt they charged on their 9/11 Credit Card, and the untold hundreds of thousands their policies have killed or crippled.

No, never look back.

Never ever look back.

Unless there is a Democrat involved. And a failed land deal in Arkansas.

But other than that, never, never ever look back.

And yet however fast this Party of Personal Responsibility sprints from taking any personal responsibility for anything – however many Bright New Corners they insist we have turn in their Forever War – the shadow of their failures overtakes them.

Running is not enough. Lying is not enough. Sweating in their sleepy, dogma-stained Underoos, the 27% are reduced to fantasizing about another miraculous Political Snow Day.

It worked once -- when the Radical Right was allowed to hijack 9/11 and turn the blood of innocent Americans into a blank check for six years of Republican lying and treason – but covering up high crimes, criminal incompetence and incipient fascism by screaming “Boo!” seems the be finally petering out into the self-parodying Grand Guignol of Rudy Giuliani’s Madcap Terrorism Tourette's Road Show.

The wingnuts have about chewed all the flavor out of their September 11th Bubble Gum, and now the Failed Conservative Movement is desperately in search of another Great Reboot where they can claim that all debts are canceled, all of their astounding hypocrisies nullified, and the long, grievous and bloody record of their treachery expunged.

Where they can run screaming “Doooooo Ooooover!” into the streets and get back to blaming Liberals and Bill Clinton’s Penis for all the evils in the world.

The Party of Personal Responsibility pines for a Fascist Prometheus who can deliver them salvation through the Holy Fire of Miraculous Bigwords. Salvation that'll napalm away the brutal judgments of history and justice that they so richly deserve and which their million bloody sins cry out for.

And it is Newt who holds himself up as that redeemer.


Meanwhile, on ”The Chris Matthews Show”

I think.

I feel.

What do you feel?

I feel that voters think.

I think that voters think.

I think that voters feel.

Ya think?

I talk to lotta wimmin who think….

Commercial Break: Way-off-brand insurance. Dating sites. Heartburn remedies.

(Man to they ever have their demographic dialed in to ten significant digits.)
I talk to lotta consultants who feel…

I bin talkin’ to a lot of Democratic consultants…

Commercial Break: Men! Don’t exercise. Don’t eat right! Get some fake hair! 80% of feelin’ gud is lookin’ gud! Put some zip back in your luv life. Do it or no pussy for you!

I think that Americans feel…

I feel that Americans think…

Bobo Brooks: People are idiots!


And lastly, on "Meet the Press"


Clinton versus Russert

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Gingrich stuff was classic. It reminded me of the pure concentrated evil from 'Time Bandits' only in the form of a moldy chicken nugget kept in a safe in suburban Houston.

Anonymous said...

"it is probably time for my little Sunday Morning Comin’ Down pushcart to start fading into the sunset."

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!1!!!!!!

Dude, those other blogs are good at detailed well-reearched media analysis and all, but where else can we get metaphors like "last ossified lump of Sanka"?

Seriously, DO NOT STOP DOING SMCD!! WE NEED IT!!!!

Fran / Blue Gal said...

Why do I think I'm going to be saying this over and over from now on?:

What Physioprof said.

Anonymous said...

drifty:

There's no more Media Whores. No more Pundit Pap. You are it. It's a big burden I'm sure, but no one can do it like you do. It's absolutely priceless.

"The wingnuts have about chewed all the flavor out of their September 11th Bubble Gum", could only come from you! Priceless.

You are the best.

WereBear said...

Well, for what it's worth, I perk up a bit when I see that sainted graphic.

I know I'll read a takedown that isn't a nicely seasoned pot roast, or roasted potatoes, or fluffy rolls with a pat of butter.

It's more like an exquisite little pastry that is perfectly balanced between flaky and creamy, the kind that caresses the tongue and leaves you in a kind of swoon.

Maybe you don't provide the same nourishing meals other sites do.

But I would so miss that dessert...

Phil said...

The Man In Black would not approve.
Sunday Morning,
Coming Down,
Must Continue.

The rest of those sites you mention can do the bare bones assessment of the results of whatever madmen happens to open his yap on any given Sunday, it's not that fucking hard, hell, I could do it If I could type fast enough.
Not The Same.
Why settle for a used mid sized sedan when I could have a BRAND NEW LINCOLN?
Something with so many fucking bells and whistles it takes a week to figure out how to change the heat setting on your 7 way power seat? A/M radio, or BOSE Surround Sound?
Thats the fucking difference.

Anonymous said...

"well-reearched"

You see how upset you got me with your outlandish idea to retire SMCD? I can't even fucking type.

Anonymous said...

Every single time I see the great Johnny C I know I'm in for a takedown of massive proportions and you never disappoint. I understand needing to rest up once in a while, but to retire SMCD completely? Oh hell no! Like the others have already pointed out, "The wingnuts have about chewed all the flavor out of their September 11th Bubble Gum" is the manna from heaven that only you can provide. Love ya, Drifty.

Anonymous said...

...so it is probably time for my little Sunday Morning Comin’ Down pushcart to start fading into the sunset. -Drifty


You gotta be fuckin' kiddin' me!?!?!!!!

All right Drifty!! Lets up the fuckin' ante!!! I got a neighbor in my building - Asian girl, late 20's - Lucy Liu clone - all that and a scoop of Haagen Daz Pistachio. You drop SMCD and I just might have to "do" sumthin' to the lil' lady - if you know what I mean. You know i'm crazy like dat. Now I know with a certainty that you don't want your bruddah doing the perp walk on CNN for a "horrific crime of passion". More importantly, I know you don't want him getting his grubby mitts on any Lucy Liu type flavas before you do - even if its simulacrum. Her future is in your hands...

Anonymous said...

What everybody said. No one else distills the quintessence of this rancid lunacy with such unique style, wit, and passion.

As long as you're willing to subject yourself to the Mouse Circus (and there's no sign of permanent damage) we're just happy to be along for the ride.

Anonymous said...

Aww Drify honey, you watch the mouse circus so we don't have to. AT none of those other sites would we get such great lines as Federal prison Habitrails, last ossified lump of conservative sanka, chicken nugget preserfved in the icebox hoarfrost, morally narcoleptic, etc., etc. Damned you're fucking good.

Anonymous said...

B-b-b-b-but, NO! SMCD Fade? NOT!

Pulleeeze, you can't leave me/us like that. *Sniff-sniff* I'll get all hurty feelings and what not. There is no snark like Driftglass snark. Truly, your rants - and the way you got me calling Timmeh 'Punkinhead' are things I hold quite dear.

Plus, the way you "play" with the words is a sight to behold and I for one would need to take to my fainting couch (desperately looking around for a soft place to fall...) if you shutdown these awesome observances.

I know that I usually just lurk around and I am not an especially consistent commenter but, you have pulled me out of my shell with this "threat".

Don't stop - we need all of the snark that good single malt scotch can inspire (or reward).

CrazyGrrl In Mass

Anonymous said...

Your Sunday analysis is the best and most consistent, dg. I know it must be nauseating to plow through it, but I hope you don't quit.

Esp. since, when I don't have the stomach for it, I know 5 min. on your site will tell me more than 3 hrs. of tivo would have.

L.S./M.F.T said...

I'll keep this short, sweet and to the point. I don't read those other sites you mentioned for their take on the Mouse Circus' lunatic ravings...

I. Read. Y-O-U.

And will accept no substitute, placebo or simulacrum because you're it. You're the Top... The Apex Predator. The China White.

Myrtle June said...

But, Sunday mornin' ain't come down till you do the ONLY true smackdown that youse do, Driftglass!

"Write it! Write it! Write it!" - Jack Traven

;-)

Anonymous said...

What Blue Gal said, except...

Even given a Tivo, cranking through commercials, and the ability to compose on the fly while watching, Sunday Morning Coming Down has been a real long-term commitment -- certainly a couple percent of your waking hours every week, and a greater percentage of your prime, all cylinders humming productive time.

“Because,” said the blogging artist, lifting his head a little and, with his lips pursed as if for a kiss, speaking right into the supervisor’s ear so that he wouldn’t miss anything, “because I couldn’t find a blog which I enjoyed. If had found that, believe me, I would not have made a spectacle of myself and would have read to my heart’s content, like you and everyone else.” Those were his last words, but in his failing eyes there was the firm, if no longer proud, conviction that he was continuing to blog.

Drifty, the last thing we need is to end up sweeping away and burying another blogger along with the digital straw. If you need to ease up, ease up. This is a war which will take a generation. Steady strain. If you can't be on point all the time, let someone else lead. Just don't quit.

Anonymous said...

Hey, stonypillow: Why you gotta be all fucking reasonable and shit? In case you didn't notice, we're browbeating here.

But yeah, what stonypillow said. The rest of us sound like a bunch of petulant toddlers: "Waah! You can't take away my blankie! Waah!"

It's just that SMCD is truly the best mainstream media criticism out there. Period.

Gentlewoman said...

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't stop SMCD!

No one does it like you do.

And you can quote me.

Anonymous said...

...."hijack 9/11 and turn the blood of innocent Americans into a blank check for six years of Republican lying and treason"...That phrase conjurs a gazillion emotions in me. "Sundays comin down pushcart" is one hell of a ride. Thanks DG,
willis

Anonymous said...

No one else has that combination of insight about, snark towards and total evisceration of the Gingriches of this world. As long as you feel like doing it, there are many of us who feel like reading it.

So say we all.

joe frantic

Anonymous said...

What everybody else said and will say, plus . .
"Nobody does it better. . "
and I don't even wish someone would/could.

Anonymous said...

Stay, Drifty, Stay! Sit! Heel! Roll over! (But seriously, unless it's getting old for you, please keep blogging the Sunday Morning Comin' Down stuff. We need a dose of Mister Johnny Cash every week.)

Anonymous said...

Others have put forth genuine heartfelt, yet selfish, reasons to continue SMCD. I'm no different. I want to hear
it from you. I NEED to hear it from you.
Now that's out of the way... From a purely logical standpoint, if you don't skewer the Newts, Bobos and Punkinheads
their words will stand. Unchallenged they will up the doseage week after week until all hope lay in ruins around us.
Others may try to step in and strip the facade, but will fall utterly short. You've set the standard. So until somebody
volunteers to carry the burden, you're the man.

Not feeling up to it, or a particular Sundays' droppings aren't worthy of the effort, I'm sure you can whip up a little boilerplate
prose to convey that emptiness. A placeholder of sorts. The indredients aren't there for a SMCD, hey, we get it. We're an impatient, but
understanding bunch of appreciaters. We don't expect you to turn the shit into gold all the time.

Still not buying it?

I realize you're a Chicago guy, so let's just cut to it. Okay?

What'll it take for you to continue? I mean, what's it gonna take...
You need someone to wash your balls while you watch the Mouse Circus?
Someone to make you fuggitabot the time you've lost, the brain cells you've tortured,
the sacrifice you've made?
How's bout a coupla Johnnie's beef sammiches? A frothy pint of Honker's Ale with a
Suntory back? Two or tree tickets to Da Bulls? Some pizzas? Whaaaaaat?!?!

Say da woid.

Fran / Blue Gal said...

Sunday Morning Coming Down, after reading all this stuff above, smells like a book deal to me, dg.

Because you don't have enough to do already.

I can see the Punkinhaid chapter, the Tweety chapter, the Chris Wallace chapter...oh stop me. I'll bet there's someone in this comment thread who has some editing/book pitching experience, too.

Anonymous said...

Just to add my voice to the choir, no one is able to simultaneously amuse, enrage, thought-provoke and arouse me like you, Driftglass. I glance over, Cliff's note, and/or scan the other sites brave and silly enough to wade through the drivel, but you I devour. Every last word.

Anonymous said...

oh hell no!

SMCD is part and parcel of every complete and nutritious breakfast - It is the Emmet's in my coffee, the mamosa next to the grapefruit, the tobasco in the MerryBluddy witha cheez, bacon and Vegemite sammich that makes life so G-damm zesty!

in fact, I'd forgo all those, revert back to black coffee, one brown unbuttered toast and solitary cigarette nihilist gnosh, sans mouthwash, if i knew that SMCD would be spared.

ask yerself. What Would Jonny Cash Do?

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's an argument I haven't seen yet: LANDFILLS!

See, if we are forced to watch all the crap on Sunday, there will be a whole planet full o' busted LCD TVs. Too few of us have the strength to refrain from chucking something - ANYTHING - at the screen when these hallucinoids start spewing their vile contents.

(Frankly, it's bad enough getting the "sanitized" version from you, DG, but it's the only way to stay on top of the misinformation without becoming a victim of the stoooo-pidity.)

So, you can't quit SMCD. You just...can't. The Planet depends on you!

Myrtle June said...

From Tanbark:

"Like hell you will! We know where Chicago is and how to get there!"


Tanbark phoned this in 'cause his computer went out with a burny wire smell. Fried. He expects to see SMCD when he's back online though. Asked me to tell ya ;-)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of a book deal, I just started reading Olbermann's compilation of his Special Commentaries, aka Rants About How Bush Sucks Ass. Each is about the length of an SMCD.

I'm just sayin'.

driftglass said...

Yeesh.

OK, I know about half of those are my Mom, so cut it out Ma (Should never have taught that woman how to spoof an ID, but this is what I get for outing myself to family :-)

To the other half, thank you for the kind, kind words. Sincerely. This wasn't intended as a hissy fit or anything like that. The blog isn't going anywhere; just figuring that feature might no longer be needed in the larger world.

Also I have to shower in single malt every Sunday just to feel clean again :-)

Habit will no doubt keep me peeking up the Mousies mildewy Sunday skirts most weeks, and I'll report out on anything that doesn't sound like I'm repeating myself.

Until then I will take rainchecks on all offers of spirituous beverages, wimmin, ball washing, food and all other sundry vice-slakers.

And I will collect one day. Oh yes I will.

Namaste and thank you all again.

your pal,

dg