Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tour de France: Stage 25



One of the most famous things that never happened but shoulda was an exchange between a female contestant on “You Bet Your Life” and Groucho Marx.

The urban legend is told a lot of different ways, but it comes down to the female contestant revealing she has some staggeringly large number of children. Some version say 11. Some 17. Some 23.

"Why so many children?" Groucho asks.

"Well, I just love my husband!" the woman replies.

"Lady, I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth every once in a while!" replies Groucho.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If she had only kept it in her mouth she'd have had fewer children.

Sorry, but it HAD to be said.

Anonymous said...

As always, Drifty, you say so elegantly what I can only clumsily gesture - Steve is sorely missed.

Anonymous said...

Groucho considered "You Bet Your Life" to be some of his best work, because of the spontaneous nature of some of the best moments. I'm a sucker for the movies, I never get tired of them. Some classics, off the top of my head:

"Remember men, you're fighting for this woman's honor, which is more than she ever did."

"For my next number, 'A Piece of Pie, A Cup of Coffee, and You' from the opera Aida"

"Ah, I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought, I'll dance with the cows until YOU come home."

Asked his reaction to being rejected for membership in an exclusive country club because he was Jewish: "I would never want to belong to a club which would have me as a member."

Asked why he was so friendly with his many ex-wives: "I like to be close to my money."

Selah.
CAGary

Anonymous said...

At least the tour is dumping the ones they catch.

Professional baseball is getting ready to make a hero out of Bonds.