Sunday, April 23, 2006

"I hear the Voices"


They tell me that Iran has The Bomb.

That Rummy is a Genius.

That Babylon must pay and pay. And bleed and bleed.

That we must dash the skulls of their babies against the rocks.

Just look at that picture of what happened to my hand when I showed a particle of doubt! Just for a second!

The Voices warned that if I broke faith with them this would happen. And that my words would come out all drunk-sounding. And lo, weren’t the Voices exactly right?

That I can’t pronounce “Nookuler”?

Or the name of some Spanish prime minister?

Or "subliminable".

Or “Abu Gerrub”.

And that my hand would melt. Maybe you can’t see it melting, but you’re not The Decider.

I’m The Decider.

I mean, how else do you explain me losing my grip falling off my bike. Falling off a Segue. Falling down in the office. Sounding all crazy during my debate with Kerry.

It takes all my mind and faith and focus to bring my hand back when the doubt sneaks in and I start to think maybe I might have made a mistake.

Gotta watch it all the time. All the time. The Higher Father demands no less.

He say’s so in His Book.

Just take a look here…

By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down,
and there we wept when we remembered Zion.

On the willows there we hung up our harps.

For there our captors asked us for words of song,
and our tormentors, for mirth:
"Sing to us from the songs of Zion!"

How could we sing the song of the Lord on an alien land?

If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill,

May my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth
if I do not remember you,
if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy.

Remember, O LORD, against the sons of Edom
the day of Jerusalem's fall, those who said:
"Tear it down! Tear it down to its foundation!"

O daughter of Babylon that will be devastated:
Fortunate is the man who repays you what you have done to us;

Fortunate is the man who will seize and dash
your little ones against the rock!



Waking or sleeping, gotta know that The Decider is solid and whole and can jump straight outta bed to go sign that important Terri Schiavo Bill, or make the missiles fly if that’s what the Voices need me to do.

I’m not reckless about out. I think people don’t realize that I’m reeeeeal careful. I’m completely calm and clear about the hand situation. In fact, monitoring the hand situation is so important that I’ve had Josh Bolton on the job right along. He keeps an eye out to make sure my hands stay rock-hard and real when the Deciding comes.

Just take a look here
His wall collection of Bush photos, typical throughout the White House complex, is unique. The pictures focus exclusively on Bush's hands at key moments in his presidency. Not a single photo of Bush's face can be found.


I used to be scared when my hand would get tingly or squishy or that one time when I disagreed with Dick and it just oozed right off my wrist and puddled up on the floor. But now I see that it’s a blessing. A quick check on whether I’m on the right track.

Polls, facts, science, what the masses think, the opinions of foreigners, or what it says on the teevee screens or the internets...all of them are terrorist weapons sent by the Evil One to attack my mind. Distractions sent by the Prince of Lies to try to shake me from my faith.

But I will not be shaken.

All I need to do is to take a look at my right hand, maybe bang it on a desk or a podium, and if it’s solid, then so is my faith.

When you don't question the Voices, things work out.

Maybe you can’t see it, but I can. I'm the Decider, and a hundred or two hundred years from now, my Decisions will be redeemed, because the Voices are never wrong.

And the Hand never lies.

It was like granite when I took us into Iraq.

But thinking about Iran and what I must do, it feels like steel.

Like diamonds.

Like the Hand of God.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even if I accepted creationism, I could still not consider the Bible inerrant because it contains horrid passages like that. No way did the Lord inspire such passages.

Anonymous said...

Drifty, you're kinda starting to creep me out....this after that photoshop of Klein....I'm gonna start having nightmares.

Anonymous said...

"He'll take you in his arms, tell you that you've been a good boy.
He'll rekindle all the dreams that it took you a lifetime to destroy.
He'll reach deep into the hole, heal your shrieking soul, and there won't be a single thing that you can do.
He's a ghost, he's a god, he's a man, he's a guru.

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan,
Designed and directed by his red, right hand."

---Nick Cave

I didn't google the lyrics, so they may be a little off, but this is the coolest, creepiest song. It just leapt to mind when I read this.

Anonymous said...

Drift, you're not creeping me out at all. (I know, abo, you didn't really mean it that way...)

You're just pissing me off, because it is a crime, a dyed-in-the-Office-of-'Specially-fucked-up-Plans; FELONY, that that isn't getting major print time somewhere.

That's the only bad thing about coming over here. I don't want to read something like that, complete with you showing us your LeBron James photoshoppe moves, and see something like "11 comments" it ought to be 11 thousand.

But rock on, dude. Because you do rock. :o)

Anonymous said...

GWB=The Antichrist (As seen in Revelations)

dcnative said...

Ditto all previous comments on your photoshop abilities.

I was impressed when Dubya said that not only did he hear the voices, but he's now reading the front page of the newspaper!! You go, dude! Someday maybe you'll get all the way to the Sudoku puzzle and we'll all be real proud of our Gentleman's C President.

Anonymous said...

driftglass....FWIW (I add my voice to those of others who sing your praises), I check this site each and every day - sometimes more than once - just to see and read what you've put up.

The only others I visit with this consistency are Eschaton, Gilliard, Wolcott, Digby. You are as unique as each of them, and your writing is just superb.

Thanks.

jurassicpork said...

I'm glad that I finally beat you at something ("I hear the voices"). I'm high-fiving myself even as I type.

I hear the Illinois state legislature is initiating impeachment proceedings against Bush. What do you think about that, DG?

jurassicpork said...

“Josh is extremely eclectic,”

Uh huh. That's why he has pictures of nothing but Bush's bloody hands.

Aaaaalrightie, then!

driftglass said...

jurassicpork,
I do no think that word means what he thinks it means.

Sarah Deere,
Thank you very much, Sarah. That's some fast company.

dcnative/abo gato,
PhotoShop is fun to play with; crack for the artistically ungifted.

Tanbark,
This is a backwater. Always gonna be. A bayou bar where "water back" means we'll scoop you some out of the river in a jelly jar, and spam will give carbon-based comments a run for their money.

The bloglines are becoming a 5-7 posts a day place weighted towards pros, full-timers and groups.

I think this is a terrific, evolutionary step forward, but it means some of us trilobites aren't gonna be able to adapt.

Kid Charlemagne,
I'd hafta wash God's mouth out with soap if I thought He every actually said things like this.

terry of the C.A.,
Thanks. I didn't know it.

Anonymous said...

"Red Right Hand" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

From the first time that I heard this song, it's hypnotic rhythm and creepy lyrics just burrowed deep into my brain and refused to go.
I recommend a listen.

Anonymous said...

I’m not reckless about out.

Did you mean to write "I’m not reckless about oil."?

Oh, and forget the Vogon destructor fleet. If the pan-dimensional being is the one yanking W's strings, then there truly is something fundamentally wrong with the universe.

driftglass said...

arghous,
"about it". I think. I move along pretty quick sometimes, and once in a while leave a little unrecognizable linguistic roadkill on the shoulder.

terry of the c.a.,
Sampled it. Liked it. Thanks. Will pick up the cd when next I make a run to the tuneshop.

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my MAKE TONS OF MONEY site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a makes money site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

carnival inspiration If You want to see something great about carnival inspiration then you have got to visit http://lifegoalsetting.com/2/index.html but if you want to see something different

Anonymous said...

Bloggers

Looking for custom home builders in allentown, pa at http://doityourselfpro.com/. Well I recomend This Site.