Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Chicago Tribune asks


"Is your junk street-ready?"

Damn right it is. In fact, I have a special workout regimen just for that component.

Now I can actually balance an unabridged OED on…

Oooh. You mean “junk” junk.

No, I’m not of that school, but staking out your newly-shoveled territory with your Malasian job-lot stick furniture or that busted baby Habitrail you were going to toss anyway is as purely "Chicago" as Spring indictments or the annual August collapse of the Cubs.

A very common practice here, but I haven’t heard of it being done anywhere else. Except Pittsburg.

Anyway, John Kass -- local dimbulb, rightbending shill and poacher of the hallowed column inches formerly graced by Mike Royko – nonetheless does an adequate job of sketching out our quaint local custom here

With Judge Dibs, justice is snow-blind

Published December 14, 2005

With more heavy snow predicted, readers make ready their broken chairs and other junk to stake out street parking spaces and wisely call upon Judge Dibs to interpret the common law of snow.

JUDGE DIBS: Your judgment is most welcome here. A street parking space near my Avondale home was "secured" with four lawn chairs. This was hours before the last snowfall. Is there such a thing as "pre-dibs?" Edward B., Chicago.

Dear Humble Petitioner: Pre-dibs? There is no such thing as pre-dibs. The Dibstitution makes no mention of it. Pre-dibs is a cynical political fiction, engineered by elites who seek unfair advantage over their commuting neighbors. Happily for you, I am a strict Dibstitutionalist. So here is my decree: Dibs may only be invoked after snow has been shoveled, preferably by your wife while you're sitting down in the living room having cocktails, since health experts on TV insist that men should not combine stress and snow shoveling. Anyone who dares claim "pre-dibs" will have their broken chairs tossed onto their lawn.

JUDGE DIBS: You're right. Hizzoner the mayor needs to declare the end of Dibs, let's say 2 weeks after a heavy snowfall. (Only he has the clout to make such a declaration). Thomas O., Baton Rouge, La.

Dear Thomas: You're correct. The mayor and Judge Dibs will decide on a case-by-case basis. But you have no standing in this court, since it doesn't snow where you live.



ONE WINTER I dug our car out of its plowed-in spot. A neighbor dug out his car behind me. We pulled our cars out and marked our spaces with lawn and card table chairs. We drove off to do errands. When I returned I saw my neighbor in the middle of the street, staring. A huge Cadillac Coupe de Ville convertible with a western suburb vehicle sticker was taking up both of our spaces. The chairs had been tossed near the sidewalk. Without a word, we each got our snow shovels and completely buried the Cadillac. It was below zero out. Then my neighbor said, "Wait a minute" and returned carrying two buckets of water. We ended up using six buckets of water on the car. The Caddy remained entombed in ice for weeks. After a thaw, we never saw that car in the neighborhood again. Tom P., Hickory Hills.

Dear Tom: It wasn't me. I swear.


So how ingrained is this tradition?

Well a few years back the Mayor announced on teevee that if you had shoveled out a space and marked it as your territory, that spot is yours. Period.

And the sound you heard off-camera was his legal people jumping into their tap-shoes like firemen leaping into their boots, and scrambling the get in front of some microphones and explain that, no, you don’t really own that 32-square-foot slab of potholed asphalt and you cannot, therefore, treat other people that park there as if they’re burglars you just discovered despoiling your wife’s panty drawer.

It really is a tribal custom, and anywhere you go on Earth – in any culture -- you transgress the local, unwritten rules at your peril, so frankly the thought of icing down a car that has mooched off the work you sweated over doesn’t bother me overmuch.

Not nearly as much as, say, classist parking restrictions on residential streets in the various archipelagos of Upscalevania.

Now in Wrigleyville, for example, I don’t see a problem with restricting parking during night games. That seems a fair accommodation to residents who have to cope with a sudden influx of 38,000 visitors on specific dates and for a limit amount of time. But on block after block of once-Volvo-and-now-Escalade-packed streets in swank neighborhoods you’ll see the signs that warn that you will be ticketed and/or towed of you park there after sunset.

Well fuck that. If these people want to gate-off their streets and go out-of-pocket for their own resurfacing, curb-repair and sink-hole-filling, fine. Great. Have at it.

But as long as these are public streets, paid for at public expense, then you can damn well circle and hunt like the proles.

Who knows? Maybe the landed gentry might stop treating “public transportation” as a pejorative if free, priority parking on the public thoroughfares stopped being gifted to them as a prerogative?

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pantry Drawer? Hmmmmmm.

driftglass said...

chautauqua,

Oops. Thx for the catch. That one actually needs to be fixed.

A Pastry Drawer however...

Mmmm.

Pastry Drawer.

Frank said...

Nah, They'll just price onstreet parking out of the reach of the proles.

Anonymous said...

"Hizzoner the mayor needs to declare the end of Dibs, let's say 2 weeks after a heavy snowfall...."

Sheesh...I've seen them lawn chairs and saw-horses made of street-junk still in their places going on mid-July!

Streets Dibs is more than merely Tribal - a Medi-Evil custom of the Concrete City that is Cha-Caw-Gah!!

But loved the story. Oh the good ole days afore the Dennis Hastert Corner Good life and driveway parking places.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Let a lawyer get his mitts on the Law of Dibs. It seems axiomatic that a parking space cleared at taxpayer expense by a city plow cannot be subject to Dibs. On the other hand, when one has, by the sweat of his (or his wife's) own brow, taken on personal responsibility for the failure of city government to eradicate each and every flake of snow within 2 hours of the Last Flake Falling, and cleared a space for himself, equity demands that his effort be recognized.

In olden times, pioneers could make a blaze mark on the trees surrounding the land they wished to homestead. But they also had to clear and work the land in order for their claim to be valid.

Consequently, when a citizen has caused the snow to be removed by personal effort and/or at private expense, and has blazed his plot by the universally recognized Placement of Furniture and further has promptly parked his own conveyance in said plot, let no intruder breach the Law of Dibs.

BitterHarvest said...

You forgot the part of the ritual where Cheney celebrates the culmination of the lighting by bombing an Iraqi city into a parking lot, shelling hospitals with white phosphorous to set the injured ablaze, and then drinks the blood of slain Iraqi children with a gilt cup made from the skull of an alleged terrorist tortured to death in American custody.

Anonymous said...

This tribal custom rules in Boston, too. Just so you know....
Kathryn in MA

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I can say for certain that Boston has the same "custom". I was living in the Allston neighborhood one snowy winter and after clearing out my car and going to the store, I come back and find one of the guys from the apartment building next door parked right in MY SPACE - the one that took me an hour to clear. No, I didn't leave a barrel there as a marker because I was too "naive" and I thought that no one would just take a space that they hadn't shovelled out themselves, well slap my head and call me, "stupid", boy did I learn a lesson.

I (still being naive) left a note under his wiper explaining that I had cleared the space and that he should call the apartment manager where he lives and get his own lot cleared leaving the space that I had cleared for me. He in an explative laced note told me in not so many words, "tough shit". I was astounded and pissed.

My landlord was clearing off the sidewalk with a snow blower in front of the 3 decker of which I was renting the top floor apartment, and he saw me ranting in the middle of the street and asked me what happened. I told him and showed him the note. Well, he proceded to bury that sucka's car under a blizzard of snow from the sidewalk with the blower, the real nice guy who owned the 3 decker across the street added his snow to the pile too after my landlord told him what happened (they were brothers-in-law).

Once it was all packed in, I felt great. BTW: the guy across the street was a Mass State cop. So yeah, we do it here in Boston too, DG. The jerk with his now buried car had to really work up a sweat to disloge it, that snow was *packed*. Once the spot was cleared, I moved right back in. He never tried that again.
Gotta tell ya, I love your work!
Crazygrrl

Anonymous said...

jeez, glad I live south of the Mason-Dixon ;)

Anonymous said...

Suprise Suprise open your eyes...Some people believe that to create is great but build is like changing the past forever... If you want to create a beautiful home Visit remodeling contractor and you can see what a little change can create..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the efforts you have taken to furnish this information. I am confident that this will be very useful for my current project. After visiting numerous websites, I was not sure whether there existed any exclusive website for this purpose. I hope this information is from your experience - from what I can tell, it certainly is! Thanks again�projector lamps

Anonymous said...

Your blog is creative, Keep up the great work. Here's a subject that may interest you; home loan rates Bad Credit? Check out http://thehomemortgageguide.com Free reports and info!

Anonymous said...

Blog is informative. Don't stop. Here's the secrets a lot of people are searching for; poor credit home loans Bad Credit? No Problem! http://thehomemortgageguide.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came across your site while doing a search for United States paper money, which I like collecting. The link here is the best place I've found to buy great items at auction prices. There are some incredible deals to be had! Check it out.

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Anonymous said...

I looked at several sites during this search but yours was the best I found on this subject. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

When I go blogging, it often ends up a fruitless journey. I often think I'd do better if I just stuck with my own sites ... and then I come across a blog like yours, and it make the trip worthwhile. Thanks. Visit if you have a chance.

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my accommodations in orlando florida site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my auto refinance loan site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my auto secured personal loan site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my auto secured personal loan site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a bad california credit find mortgage site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my bad california credit find mortgage site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit cash out refinancing site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit car loan financing site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a bad credit equity loan
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit florida mortgage refinance site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit history loans site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my secured credit cards canada site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a bad credit instant personal loan site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a bad credit instant personal loan site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my used car washington dc site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a used van truck car
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my virginia used car dealer site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

Anonymous said...

Debt Consolidation
Debt Credit Help can help you reduce your interest burden by charging an interest rate lower than the rate on your existing loans. Debt consolidation loan can also allow you to make small monthly payments by extending the loan period
http://www.debt-consolidation.com

Anonymous said...

nevada general contractors registationBloggers

Looking for nevada general contractors registation at http://doityourselfpro.com/. Well I recomend This Site. Maybe your asking who am I.... Well Im not Who you think I am. If you need help with nevada general contractors registation Then GO NOW