Sunday, November 27, 2005

Huh. That’s weird.


Not bad-weird. Cool-weird.

Some of you might remember a couple of photoessays that I did immediately following Katrina, and that one of them was reinterpreted and rendered into a movie. Once (non-work-safe) by Joe Max, and once (work-safe) by Taps7734


The other one – this one, based on Dylan's classic "Most Of The Time" – also garnered a lot of responses, and I'm also rather pleased with how it turned out…and then today someone pointed this Ode to Katrina site out to me (Don’t worry; it’s work safe. )

Click away. I’ll wait.

Now do I think my little effort had anything to do with that site? Not at all, and I don’t think anybody “borrowed” anything from anyone (other than the obvious fact that everybody filches from Dylan.)

I think that tragedy provokes people, and music inspires them, and the web lends itself to certain forms. And when you start “thinking” in those forms, similar incitements will lead --somehow, some way, though some ineffable harmonic -- to strangely similar results.

I think, as Robert Heinlein famously said, "When railroading time comes you can railroad---but not before."

And I think it's pretty cool.

4 comments:

Mr. Natural said...

That Ode to Katrina is really excellent, isn't it? I had to post it over at my place with a link back here of course...

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Glass,

Just wanted to make you aware of Rich Miller's Illinoize. He is collecting Illinois bloggers into one mega-blog.

You should stop by, introduce yourself and at minimum get linked. Every thinking person in the state should be reading your blog. They should then 'splain it to their non-thinking friends and relatives.

In a think globally, act locally way, lending your link and talent to Illinoize is one step closer to being #1.

I'm doing my best to spread your word, but I'm only one man. Take a look, dip a toe in, beat down the door for them to let you in!

driftglass said...

rehctaw,
Thanks for the tip. I have actually shown up on Mr. Miller's estimable blog a couple of times, but honestly I feel odd about asking people to link to this site.

joe max,
Wasn't that neat!? Adn thanks again for your terrific work; if I'm broke again this Xmas, I may just give copies of your slideshow as stocking stuffers ;-)

mr. natural,
It really is. I so get off on people with passion and talent.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Livermore ca. phone book Solid wood stereo cabinet with drawer Master marketing farmaceutico email is the ultimat Order+nexium http://www.acyclovirduringpregnancy.info lexar media mp3 player Compact flash 802 11g upskirt pussy girls Joyce allegra clare verizon phone coverage wheelchairs