Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Running a business like the government.


See how much bigger my head is than this aircraft?

This from the Rocky Mountain News is sadly self-explanatory (Emphasis added.)

United gives more stock options
Execs' awards could total $193 million over next four years
By Chris Walsh,
March 7, 2006
United Airlines awarded its top eight executives another 821,669 stock options for navigating the company through bankruptcy protection.

The group, which includes Chief Executive Officer Glenn Tilton, has now received 2.5 million options in addition to 1.6 million restricted shares.

United issued shares and options to the executives four separate times since emerging from bankruptcy Feb. 1. Those executives have now been given all the stock awards that were outlined in United's reorganization plan.

The stock could be worth an estimated $193 million, although it's impossible to predict the value because the shares become usable at different times during the next four years.
...

United CEO Tilton has received 822,000 options on top of 545,000 restricted shares, compensation potentially worth $64 million.

The stock awards are part of United's overall compensation plan, in which the carrier gave 10 million shares - or 8 percent of the company - to 400 managers and executives. The carrier's initial proposed compensation plan would have awarded managers 15 percent of the company's stock. It was pared down after numerous objections.

Executive compensation has been a hot-button issue at United in recent months. Employees have been the most vocal opponents, arguing that the compensation levels are too high considering workers have taken two pay cuts and lost their pensions.
The friction has eroded worker morale and trust, union leaders say.

"Glenn Tilton cut jobs, terminated pensions and held employees at United hostage for three years," said Frank Larkin, spokesman for the International Association of Machinists, which represents about 20,000 United workers. The company "survived in spite of senior management, not because of it."

United, a unit of Chicago-based UAL Corp., says tying compensation to the company's stock performance helps ensure executives are aligned with the interests of shareholders, who include employees who were given stock to help offset the wage and pension cuts.

Some observers, though, say the stock awards are too high.

"You can't have large executive compensation and at the same time claim poverty to the work force," said Gary Chaison, professor of labor relations at Clark University in Worcester, Mass.


Let's see: Cut everything, squeeze the staff, fire to the bone and then to the marrow...and then cut yourself a fat slice and collect an obscene bonus?

Well if Bush ever jettsions Criminally Massive Failure Big Don Rumsfeld, and needs to bring in a like minded CEO to host "Pimp My War", looks like Tilton just made it to the short list.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Tilton is working out of Chainsaw Al's playbook.

parsec

Anonymous said...

American Airlines has done the same sort of thing.
Begging the pilots for a new deal, crying poverty, then awarding themselves (the execs) huge bonuses.

Anonymous said...

Would serve them right if the employees just walked out. Let them see if they can keep their previous stock price with no one to actually run the place.

isabelita said...

Gawrsh!!! Is this the Free Market at work?
My god, that guy looks like such a dickwad. I want someone to throw him out of an airplane. Now.

driftglass said...

parsec,
Yep. I used to like United. Now, I'd rather fly steerage on a Sunshine Air that give them any of my $$$

Anonymous said...

"Social contract? We doan need no steenking social contract!"

You know, there are times when I think we'd be better off with honest-to-God, old-style Robber Baron capitalists in charge, instead of these floating, perfumed Princes of Peculation.
At least those guys were fairly straightforward about what they were after, instead of trying to mask their blatant thievery in phlegmy globs of corporate-speak.

Anonymous said...

I suppose this explains my parent's lost luggage.

Whetam Gnauckweirst said...

Never forget the true meaning of C.E.O. is "Cheat Every One."

The swine!

Anonymous said...

Line these criminals against a wall and shoot them.

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fine blog and read.

Feel free to visit mine at http://www.small-business-web-design.ssr.be
established web design firm It is very interesting. Hope you like it too.

Anonymous said...

I looked at several sites during this search but yours was the best I found on this subject. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I just read your blog, � very nice.
Looks like you put a lot of effort into it.
I made myself a blog, I have a start your own internet business from home site.
It covers start your own internet business from home related stuff.
Check it out if you have the time.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Tents information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my no cost to make money site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my stock video footage site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my stock loans finance site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my state consumer credit counseling site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my small business financing site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my small business credit cards site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a airfare last minute
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a airfare lowest site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.