From a strictly utilitarian standpoint, arguing with right wing trolls is never about the troll you're arguing with. They are obviously way too far gone to learn anything from such interactions. It is about nuking their lies in front of whoever may not already know that they are lies. I understand that the actual usefulness of this is limited, but there were 77 million or so folks who could have used some, ah, readjustment last go round, so I do occasionally indulge in it from time to time. Political violence never works the way you want it to. Look at JFK: not only did they fail to stop his policies, those policies were amplified by the thirst for power of his successor. Part of me wants to stomp the mainstream media into the dirt, and another part of me desperately wants to save it to give our shared reality a fighting chance. I fear, though, that battle to be lost. I love the internet, but boy howdy has it trashed the very unity it was supposed to foster. Thank you again for the podcast. Peter Huestis, aka Princess Sparkle Pony said on Bluesky: "Maybe I shouldn't vote for this Hasan Piker guy. What is he running for again?
1 comment:
From a strictly utilitarian standpoint, arguing with right wing trolls is never about the troll you're arguing with. They are obviously way too far gone to learn anything from such interactions. It is about nuking their lies in front of whoever may not already know that they are lies. I understand that the actual usefulness of this is limited, but there were 77 million or so folks who could have used some, ah, readjustment last go round, so I do occasionally indulge in it from time to time.
Political violence never works the way you want it to. Look at JFK: not only did they fail to stop his policies, those policies were amplified by the thirst for power of his successor.
Part of me wants to stomp the mainstream media into the dirt, and another part of me desperately wants to save it to give our shared reality a fighting chance.
I fear, though, that battle to be lost. I love the internet, but boy howdy has it trashed the very unity it was supposed to foster.
Thank you again for the podcast. Peter Huestis, aka Princess Sparkle Pony said on Bluesky: "Maybe I shouldn't vote for this Hasan Piker guy. What is he running for again?
-Doug in Sugar Pine
Post a Comment