Great interview! Clearly, Gregg Bush is a strong ally fighting the good fight. If affordable groceries, affordable healthcare, and affordable housing and energy are "radical and Communist," there will be MILLIONS of converts.
The covid nursing really lit me up. After I got home from a two week hospital stay last summer, they sent a nurse up here once a week to check on me. One nurse sort of mentioned that she had been a home nurse during covid, and that before the vaccine came out she would go to check on folks who had recovered from covid and been sent home to a house full of people, and two weeks later she would come back to find that most of them had died of covid. It was horrific, and left me with a deep seated hatred for covid deniers. Addiction response tactics are the best avenue I can see for dealing with MAGA, and as anyone who has ever dealt with addicts knows, it's equal parts frustrating and infuriating. Having been addicted myself, I have a personal perspective on the kind of responses one can expect. The addict doesn't want to stop using. They have built their lives around getting high and maintaining access to their drug, and it isn't easy to do. The addict can't imagine not wanting to get high, though there may be a vague sense in the back of their mind that some day they will have to stop, and that to them seems like a worst case scenario. And, as I found out in stroke rehab, when faced with the undeniable evidence that continuing to use will kill them, about half will go back and use anyway. There were patients there for the second, third, and one guy for the fourth time. That's right, he was a four stroke. I was scared enough to not want to use any more. My speech pathologist (hi Vanna!) asked me if I missed getting high, and I told her that yeah, I missed it a little, but not as much as I missed the little chunk of my brain that I lost in the stroke. MAGA is a bit less accessible than substance users because that innate sense that there might have to be an end may not be there. Knitting Cult Lady says that MAGA is a cult, and that the deconstruction of the brain washing necessary for self-extraction from cult life will have to happen for hard core MAGAs to function in society again. She seems to see that as a real possibility, which is at least something... Thank you again for the podcast. Good luck with your kitty.
2 comments:
Great interview! Clearly, Gregg Bush is a strong ally fighting the good fight. If affordable groceries, affordable healthcare, and affordable housing and energy are "radical and Communist," there will be MILLIONS of converts.
The covid nursing really lit me up. After I got home from a two week hospital stay last summer, they sent a nurse up here once a week to check on me. One nurse sort of mentioned that she had been a home nurse during covid, and that before the vaccine came out she would go to check on folks who had recovered from covid and been sent home to a house full of people, and two weeks later she would come back to find that most of them had died of covid. It was horrific, and left me with a deep seated hatred for covid deniers.
Addiction response tactics are the best avenue I can see for dealing with MAGA, and as anyone who has ever dealt with addicts knows, it's equal parts frustrating and infuriating.
Having been addicted myself, I have a personal perspective on the kind of responses one can expect.
The addict doesn't want to stop using. They have built their lives around getting high and maintaining access to their drug, and it isn't easy to do.
The addict can't imagine not wanting to get high, though there may be a vague sense in the back of their mind that some day they will have to stop, and that to them seems like a worst case scenario.
And, as I found out in stroke rehab, when faced with the undeniable evidence that continuing to use will kill them, about half will go back and use anyway.
There were patients there for the second, third, and one guy for the fourth time. That's right, he was a four stroke.
I was scared enough to not want to use any more. My speech pathologist (hi Vanna!) asked me if I missed getting high, and I told her that yeah, I missed it a little, but not as much as I missed the little chunk of my brain that I lost in the stroke.
MAGA is a bit less accessible than substance users because that innate sense that there might have to be an end may not be there.
Knitting Cult Lady says that MAGA is a cult, and that the deconstruction of the brain washing necessary for self-extraction from cult life will have to happen for hard core MAGAs to function in society again. She seems to see that as a real possibility, which is at least something...
Thank you again for the podcast. Good luck with your kitty.
-Doug in Sugar Pine
Post a Comment