Thursday, July 16, 2026

Professional Left Podcast Episode 1007: Happy Birthday Blue Gal Retrospective, Part I


The chief weapon of sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was too late, how heartless and greedy they were."  -- Kurt Vonnegut



















2 comments:

dinthebeast said...

I think my favorite appearance of a president in a science fiction story was in Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" when the president gets in the helicopter with the folks trying to stop the digital/biological virus from infecting the whole world and tells them that he's the president and can help them and they all just laugh at him.
Happy birthday to Blue Gal. I think I recognized all of the episodes you referenced, even the 2013 one from the time when I had no internet, so I guess that Briana must have downloaded that one and brought it to me on a flash drive.
Thank you again for the podcast.
You know, I just didn't have "mandatory gender affirming care for the military" on my 2026 bingo card, but here we are...

-Doug in Sugar Pine

Robt said...

I have tuned in to the Pod and listened to the cast for some time now.
If I heard right in this Pod. It is the first time I recall I heard you refer to the right wingers as , "the enemy". It is at the least the first time I heard you use the word "enemy" in characterization of the right wingers.
For the record I take it as a positive reality check.
As GW Bush tried to amass support with his, "either you are with us or against us". If you aren't a dead walking zombie in search of finding brains to ear because you never had them when alive. It would make you too the enemy. It doesn't sit well with religious beliefs for Jesus wasn't with the Romans so he became the enemy and we see how that ended
Pro choice means you are the enemy. If you believe in such things.
The right wingers too often tell us that we are their enemy. Been saying it for years now.
Abortion example;
Right wingers are involved in abortions all the time. Once they adopted their religious stance of bleeding woke heart of saving the babies. They made sure they confirmed a SCOTUS majority that would bastardize the 2nd Amendment to allow violent crazed people the right to own weapons and mass kill. Blessed are the children!
As the laws of abortion stood. If you did not want an abortion or you are willing to accept the medical consequences of ones maternal health situation. You did not have to. But, if you chose to decide medical help with your situation. It was there for you to seek.
This wasn't good enough for the religious right as we know. If someone else had an abortion performed it was the same as them being forced to have one. Because Jesus said. Although I find no reference by Jesus of abortion.
They didn't want them so no one should have them but Guns are a entirely dissociated life and death issue.
Of you choose to accept the right to have abortion medical care available, you are an EVIL enemy.
Even though banning abortions only means the wealthy have the means to travel even out of country to have them performed. Again, you can use the 2nd amendment to abort life just on the flimsy law of "stand your ground".
The right wingers made sure they positioned SCOTUS justices in a majority with Right wingers and not actual legal beagles.
Look, each of the 6 majority right winger justices who bared false witness on the issue in confirmation hearings. Even they were well aware of the first amendment as it state government shall not establish religion and the freedom of religion.

After they overturned Abortion rights, each one of the 6 right wing justices who said they decided by applying their deeply held personal religious beliefs.
After they released their ruling striking it down. All six went on tour to religious groups to receive accolades. hell, Justice Alito flew to the Vatican for applause.

A friend would respect your privacy and freedoms. Right wingers do not want you to have them. That is not a friend nor is it of a neutral position. That makes them an enemy.

There are many other issues, Socialism is bad so ACA is bad but , Elon Musk's space X company's operating budget . 40% of that operating budget of the wealthiest man in the world is from tax dollars the government subsidizes him with.
Tp bring this long tooth post to an end.
It brings to mind something you brought up a couple of times from the Star Trek .
Where chief engineer is telling a former war enemy that he doesn't hate him. That he hates what he made him become.

Yeah, I could have used Fiscal conservatism but I have no idea of what it means.
I know w how they project when publicly saying it. .I have no evidence HAVE SEEN NO EVIDENCE OF Fiscal conservatism applied to go by.