Sunday, October 30, 2022

Birthday Fundraiser Special: Unretouched Photo of My Senator

...a couple of aisles down from me at Hy-Vee this morning.  

That's the second most powerful Democrat in the Senate, back home in Springfield for a break, casually dressed, no entourage, no special treatment, no one paying his presence any special notice, picking up some necessaries.

That's one of the nice things about living here.  Politics is very eye-level   I've been to the senator's home a few times.  I work with his wife on a volunteer community group.  A former governor goes to our church, and we cross paths frequently, just him and his wife.  I know the mayor by sight and he knows me.  Same with a few of the media people on radio and local teevee.  Same with my alderperson, and the aldercritters from adjacent wards.  Same with the mayor of the community of Jerome, which abuts my city just a few blocks from my house.  Same with the former editor of the local paper. and chef/owner of the best restaurant in town - the one where all the lobbyists empty their wallets when the legislature is in session.  

To be clear, while my wife and I take an active interest in our community (which is, after all, the state capitol, so we meet fellow activists) we're no political movers or shakers.  We're not lobbyists or political king-makers.  We're just...who we are.  And in a town this size where state government is a major employer, if you're at all involved in the civic life of the community you'll run into these sorts of people doing all the things that everyone else does.  

Which is why I find it comforting that, on any given day, there's a chance I will glance over and see the second most powerful Democrat in the Senate, in line at Hy-Vee, waiting his turn to pay the price for coffee and bananas and milk as everyone else.  

I Am The Liberal Media





3 comments:

Fran / Blue Gal said...

Happy Birthday, darling.

Unknown said...

"Which is why I find it comforting that, on any given day, there's a chance I will glance over and see the second most powerful Democrat in the Senate, in line at Hy-Vee, waiting his turn to pay the price for coffee and bananas and milk as everyone else."

Agreed. I work in a grocery store in a large city where a major local pol regularly shops and we've even had the mayor pop in quickly to buy flowers. And they happily engage w/the community while they shop. Granted, it's all very heavily Dem here, but still.

But this whole comforting situation is a delicate balancing act predicated on: 1) shoppers leaving the "hammer propaganda" at home while in public, and 2) European/Australian modeled gun control.

I worry about our public officials. Be safe out there, Senator Durbin.

Happy Birthday, DG.

Robt said...

My Senator is not so common.

When he is given a recess to return home to have town halls with the people of the state over repealing and replacing the ACA.

Never showing any replacement or voting on one.

Instead of town halls he hoped on a plane to Colorado for a summoned seminar by Koch Brothers on repealing and relacing the ACA. We in the state never had a moment to discuss with him.
Our other senator returned and had an exclusive meeting with the Chamber of Commerce and went into seclusion

My House Member refused publicly and told local papers he would not meet with the radical left , outside agitators over t he ACA. Turned out they were district constituents who had to take to the street and protest to grab the local press attention to try and get their House representative to discuss in person. They never once had a town hall.

What I am trying to say is, there is a big difference between GOP and Dems.
There is for the people , there is for the big donors and party bandwagon.