Friday, April 01, 2022

My New Gig: Update

Big news!  After 17 years swinging a pickaxe at the independent blogging coal-face, I've landed my first, paid writing gig.  Finally, a regular (and none too shabby) salary.  Health insurance.  Vacation time.  A modest travel stipend.  Work-at-home arrangement.  The whole deal.

That's the good part.

The part that might give some of you a little agita is that my new employer is... The Bulwark.

That's right.  After a few weeks of negotiating, they're bringing me on board as their "Midwest Cultural Correspondent" (the title was my suggestion.)  They're letting me keeping my blog handle (that's apparently my "brand value") and you'll probably be seeing my actual face on their website after a few months of settling in.  

Like most jobs, it comes are a few conditions and strings.  In this case they mostly involve my rate of output and my subject matter.  Specifically, throttling back somewhat on my "saltier" writing about Never Trumpers and focusing more on my unique slant on our values, trends and traditions here in the mighty Midwest.   There's even some talk about rolling our "Science Fiction University" podcast into the regular Bulwark podcast lineup which would increase our listenership something like 100 fold.  Who knows?  Might even get a book deal out of it!

Of course, since I'll be putting in a lot of time getting this new gig off the ground, I'll probably have to cut back on blogging here, but I'll definitely continue swinging around from time to time to do a little of the old stuff.

More later!

Until then...

 *Update:  April Fools!

Live, Laugh, Love


29 comments:

Pinkybum said...

Good luck in your new venture. I hope they haven't deceived you and their motivations are pure. It's a good job you started on the first day of the month because you will get a full paycheck. The Bulwark is known to beguile and hoodwink their readers but I'm sure they haven't duped or misled you.

Anonymous said...

Sellout. I knew you were faking it all along.

Anonymous said...

Happy April Fools Day!!!

anniebananie said...

Congratulations!

Commander Cody said...

You deserve this

M. Bouffant said...

Is this an April Fool's post?

snabby said...

You had me there for a minute.

MikeAdamson said...

You'd be a fool not to take it

SouthSideGT said...

LOL. Good one, Drifty.

Jason said...

I can see you worked hard to be convincing DG but you should have lowered the bar to something like being invited on to a Fox segment or MTP. But the Bulwark? They have far too much integrity.

Anonymous said...

Uhhhhh.... Happy April Fools Day?

sos said...

Heh. Good one. You HAD me right up until "... The Bulwark."

-sos

ChiefD said...

And a Merry April Fool's to you too, Drifty!

Anonymous said...

There's a club, and now you're in it.

Anonymous said...

April fools!

Fritz Strand said...

If only....

I keep waiting for you and Bluegal to get discovered' (at least big enough to increase either your fame or fortune).

Anonymous said...

I'm 99.8% sure this is the obvious April Fools. On the .2% chance I'm wrong, congrats! On the 99.8% chance I'm right - NO ACTUALLY I WISH YOU COULD GET THIS JOB, so you could give 'em hell from the inside.

Either way, Aprille's Foules.

Unknown said...

Congrats and good luck.

Dick Cox said...

Congatulations and good luck!

Dick Cox said...

Got me.

Ian said...

Do we burn the lifeboat with you in it now?

Anonymous said...

It's all true folks. They don't celebrate April Fools Day in Springfield. Congratulations Driftglass. I can't wait to see Blue Gal in that new Mercedes!

Left Jabber said...

I look forward to your podcast with Charlie Sykes. It'll be lit!

Lawrence said...

Checks calendar... Well met, sir.

Hal Rager said...

I can't wait! /laughing, laughing, laughing, laughing, laughing, still laughing/

Freddy said...

Wish it were true. You and your family deserve to take fat stacks of cash off these fuckheads. On a related note (100% not a joke) the hosts of the very popular Carton & Roberts sports radio program on WFAN in NYC had a whole prolonged discussion about the origins of the term “dumpster fire” back in January. They attributed it to something/someone on urban dictionary. I’ve been trying to get thru to the station to correct the record ever since!

dervy scram said...

Hey! No fair. I was actually happy for you.


Psyche!

Anonymous said...

You had me for a second. Happy April 1st to you and the wifey.

chautauqua said...

If only.