Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Johnny "Guitar" Watson With Our New National Anthem


Big ups to reader Gene for sending the link.

In the last 48 hrs. I have been flooded with the kindest, most supportive words you can imagine, and several hits to the tip jar.

Thank you very much for both, although I'd like to make two things clear about donations.

First, if you yourself are hurting, put your wallet back in your pocket. No kidding.

Second, what happened to me was not a natural disaster; like millions of my fellow citizens, I just lost job at a very inconvenient moment. I will always gladly accept contributions from anyone in any amount because they appreciate the work I do and feel it is of tangible enough value to help pay to keep it going, but if you are dipping into your "charitable contributions" or "emergency relief" dough to send money my way, please don't.

Of course, none of this applies if you are named George Soros or Warren Buffett :-)

I am still more than a little sore and dopey from yesterday's Encounter at Drillpoint, but I will be replying to all individual messages individually as soon as I can.

Lastly, many of you have shared your own stories of getting creamed by our new economy realities, both in the comments section and via email. As Andrew Sullivan and others have done, I plan to post some of your experiences over the next few days and weeks because A) I am a lazy, lazy man and, B) In some quarters, I think it still hasn't really penetrated just how different the Great Recession is from any of its predecessors over the last 70 years, and how radically it and the toxic ideology that led to it are changing American life forever.

And if we ourselves cannot shape policy, we can at least bear witness.

Many thanks to you all,

Your pal,

driftglass

6 comments:

Greendayman said...

Hi Drifty, hmm... sometimes opportunity and risk present themselves, hand in hand, at your front door knocking tentatively in disguise as bad news. A mixed blessing at best.

Pain.. unplugging from the Matrix, going independent, working your own schedule, no benefits, no credit rating (who died and left those assholes in charge anyway?), but after you are unplugged and get feeling back in your cerebral cortex, it rocks. Yeah, you get to eat gruel 3 times a day.... but at least we are free.

Beats the soul-sucking cubicle of death.

I'll take it anyday.

Capt. Bat Guano said...

I must concur with the above statement. Self employ ain't too bad.

prof fate said...

I was going to leave a comment in the earlier thread, but I was just too depressed at the time.

Seems we're somewhat in the same boat, drifty, as the people I've been sub-contracting for are struggling now to keep afloat after one of our major contractors -- a certain chain store which shall remain nameless -- outsourced their stuff to India. I've been effectively laid off, though at least I know they'll ask me back if things start looking up.

But then, that's the problem, isn't it?

Hell, under-employment punctuated by periods of unemployment has been pretty much a way of life for me since the dot-com bust.

"Diminished expectations"? We're soaking in it!

And at 55, the prospects are looking bleaker every year. I feel for you, buddy.

bill said...

Wait a minute. You mean that Soros isn't already paying you? That would mean the right-wing blogs aren't telling the truth about the left. Oh, my head!

Anonymous said...

I got a job offer today...1000 a week to clean beaches in Mississippi...

Just turned 46 yesterday and have been out of work since February-self employed and gigging for the past 5 years.

May take the beach cleaning job if they will let me wear a respirator... ; ]

And oh by the way, Dug the song, but Johnny Guitar Watson liked the pants a lot too tight for my taste.

driftglass said...

Greendayman/Capt. Bat Guano,
I'm giving it serious thought.

prof fate,
I have a strong feeling that the "you are not alone" sustenance that blogging gave to liberals during the Bush Years is about to be eclipsed by the same sense of blogging/community around being un/under-employed.

bill,
Leftie moguls are cheap bastids.

Anon,
If you can make a buck by doing good, more power to you.