Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Meanwhile, In The Here and Now...



From Katrina vanden Heuvel:


Dear Nation Friend:

The Nation faces a hostile environment and a million dollar deficit. That's it in a nutshell.

As you've undoubtedly heard, newspapers and magazines are hemorrhaging. Funding for hard-hitting investigative reporting that speaks truth to power is drying up. And although we run a tight ship, every year we face new, expensive obstacles like huge increases in postage and paper prices. We don't carry big corporate advertising and subscriptions just aren't enough to sustain us. So we rely on our Nation Associates whose donations represent more than 20% of all of our revenues.
...

Sure hope Google gets here soon.

6 comments:

Rev.Paperboy said...

I see what you did there, now all we need is a frenetic guitar solo by Mr. Z.

US Blues said...

"Funding for hard-hitting investigative reporting that speaks truth to power is drying up."

And she just woke up to this fact now?

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago, I sent in a mag insert subscription to get The Nation. After receiving a few issues, I got a bill. I went to their website to try to pay the bill on line because I try keep my checks out of the mail if possible. There was no way to pay for my existing subscription, via their clunky, antiquated website(at the deal offered)so I went ahead and paid for a new subscription at full price using the information they already had for me.
Over the next few months, they dunned me over and over again by snail mail and phone. I called them and explained what I had done, provided information to prove it...and still the letters came...each more threatening than the last. I ended up telling one of their reps who called me to cancel the subscription (which I had already paid for in full)
If you are going to run a national magazine in 2010 and cant manage to handle billing via a computer....the world has already left you behind...hard hitting truth telling or not...

Fran / Blue Gal said...

The dirty effing hippies who would be in agreement with The Nation are broke.

I'm also flabbergasted and incredibly jealous that they have some OTHER source for 80 percent of their revenue. Fuckers.

Susan Sarandon: Still waiting for your check.

Roket said...

That's a very odd fundraising technique. At least the trees are happy.

Kathy said...

The Nation has plenty of competition on the internet.