Saturday, March 13, 2010

Our Local South Side Irish Parade


Apparently went well.

But for reasons that I can only attribute to an irrational fear of the Irish, Lionsgate Films has blocked any clips from "The Quiet Man" -- John Ford's charming 58-year-old fable of the Auld Sod -- from being YouTubed in America, thus preventing me from limning the thing the way I wanted.

So if you want to see the start of one of the finest brawls in film history (as well as the amazing Maureen O'Hara in her lusty prime), you'll have to click here.

Sláinte!

UPDATE: Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. People's Hero and friend of this blog "CL" has come up with the vid.
It looks like a mirac...
It's in the hole!
It's in the hole!
It's in the hole!

3 comments:

Caoimhin Laochdha said...

Despite its flagrant use of "Step'n'Fetch It" Irish stereotypes, I love that move. In fact, maybe that is one of the things - in addition to Maureen O'Hara's lustiness - that I love so much about the movie.

Thanks for posting a trigger to one of my favorite movie memories.

BTW - I used to have an MP3 of John Wayne signing Wild Colonial Boy from the movie and damn if I can't find it now.

Sláinte
cl

ps. I sent you an email with embed code for another site. Not sure if it will work, but thought I'd give it a try.

Anonymous said...

hellz yeah!
and if I hear danny boy one more F'n time there'z a brawl brewin fer shure

Gene Oberto said...

What is the reason that Lionsgate keeps this movie under wraps? No You Tube, no iTunes, no Amazon downloads-surely the gatekeepers to the rights don't think that the DVD will somehow rise from the deathbed like Francis Ford's Dan Tobin when the sound of the fight between the downloaders and the Netflix users reaches their ears.

About a year ago, I was "just a good stretch of the legs" north of Cong, I unfortunately, never saw my "transcendent, romanticized vision of a red-haired, blue-bloused, scarlet-skirted, bare-footed lass tending the flock of sheep in the meadow.

It continues to be my sorrow.

Bob Geldof has said a lot of shite in his day. He did say one thing that I thought had some merit. "Irish Americans are no more Irish than Black Americans are Africans."

Whatever, at least for one day each year, to all the Irish (and soon to be wannabes) "Up da ra!"