Friday, January 08, 2010

Tom Waits Friday Steps Aside


To wish David Bowie a happy birthday


From glamming it up on British teevee in the late 60s...


...To Slow Burning almost 40 years later.


Pick your decade.

Bowie killed in it.

And along the way he also played nice with the other boys and girls.

With Iggy Pop doing "Sister Midnight" in 1977 (Bowie plays the organ while Iggy turns his arms into a rope ladder and climbs it into his own head.)


With Marianne Faithful tackling (believe it or not) "I Got You Babe".


Doing "Tonight" with Sex-On-Fire Tina Turner a few years after that.



Bowie and Annie Lennox "Under Pressure" at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert in 1992



Bowie fleeing Trent Reznor (but then, don't we all?) in "I'm Afraid of Americans" (1997).


And breaking your heart with "Arcade Fire" in "Wake Up"...about five minutes ago.

Somethin' filled up
my heart with nothin',
someone told me not to cry.

But now that I'm older,
my heart's colder,
and I can see that it's a lie.
...


Nicely done, David.

Nicely done.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good choices! Thanks.

luko

physiobabe said...

Sorry dg, Tom Waits steps aside for no one.

Anonymous said...

That'll teach Phantom Limb and that nogoodnik Iggy to try to depose

THE SOVEREIGN!!@!

So what's this I hear about invading some weirdass country named after Bowie's wife? Iman is obviously an Ace who INVENTED the Underpants bomb - albeit in a far sexier, err, fashion.

Tim McGovern said...

Oh, and I agree with the well done. Only Bowie and The Flaming Lips could possibly threaten the man, myth, legend, etc., of He Who Performed Glitter and Doom.

Caoimhin Laochdha said...

And I'll never forget the time Bowie dressed up as William Shatner to perform Rocket Man. Man he just nailed that song forever.

sláinte,
cl

Palamedes said...

Anyone who can create an album like Low and have that be considered one of his weaker efforts, wellllll....

On that note, favorite Bowie album? Young Americans is an obvious choice, but Scary Monsters always ends up in my CD player more than I often admit.

mahakal said...

Sweet set, dg.

Dr. Wu said...

That duet with Annie Lennox is just unfuckingbelievable.

Jenonymous said...

ZOMG. Bowie has been my favorite act, hands-down, since I discovered him in junior high school back in...oh, a freaking LONG time ago.

Saw him live twice (Serious Moonlight Tour and Glass Spiders Tour), and sort of a third time when I was able to stick my head in the door of the newly renovated St. Ann's Warehouse in DUMBO, Brooklyn, where he showed up to do an impromptu session.

Only artist I know who can do a photo campaign for freaking MACY'S and still be killer cool.

He also gets props in my book for staying in DOWNTOWN NYC after 9/11 when he could have taken his famous ass and his model-wife's ass ANYWHERE ELSE ON EARTH. He even did a song about it on one of his albums.

And yeah, I LOVE his Berlin Trilogy albums. "What in the World" is sort of a personal anthem on some days.