Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It's been cold in my city.


Or it rains.

And for what seems like the last 100 years, if it's not either/or, it's both.

And now, of course, come the earthquakes:

Scientists: Even Bigger Quake Could Hit Midwest

Robin Lloyd
LiveScience Senior Editor
LiveScience.com

The magnitude 5.2 earthquake that rocked the Midwest on Friday was felt from Kansas to Georgia, and aftershocks could continue for months at this strange seismic zone at the nation's center and even trigger another big quake, a geophysicist said.

The quake occurred on a northern extension of the New Madrid fault, about 6 miles north of Mt. Carmel, Ill. The New Madrid fault was responsible for devastating quakes in the Mississippi Valley in 1811 and 1812. So the Friday quake and its aftershocks likely are raising the blood pressure of some residents and scientists.

For decades, scientists have debated whether and when the underlying fault could generate another temblor of similar and deadly strength.

"I think we saw a window to this possibility today in the Wabash Valley," said geophysicist Allessandro Forte of the Universite du Quebec à Montreal, who has studied the region's seismicity. "It's to the north of the New Madrid seismic zone, but given the strength of crust, the stress can be distributed great distances. It's not clear if we could see something in the next few years or even next few months, I would say."

"The $64,000 question is what this earthquake portends for the future," Forte said. "The answer is I'm afraid it can go either way."
...


Being bandied around using disturbingly masturbatory language...

Stress relief or hair trigger?

One scenario predicts that some stress is relieved on the local faults where this earthquake occurred and will cool things down for a few decades. The other scenario is not so happy.

...


Also there is a certain feline now on my shit list who felt compelled to awaken me before dawn to remind that Catz Gotta Eat, decided I wasn’t taking her seriously enough and climbed up on my laptop keyboard like she was a Wobblie taking to her crate in Bughouse Square.

And (like a Wobblie) dug in her claws when I tried to move her along, so when I picked her up she sent a tiny spray of itsy, bitsy plastic thingies everywhere.

I’ve fixed a lot of computer problems, but never had to recreate a Ctrl key from its constituent molecules. Nothing on the web quite explained it well enough, so quite the little thought-experiment ensued. Do I have all the bits? Did they use glue? Why are my fingers so frakking huge? Do I cut the red wire or the blue wire? Do I shoot the hostage? Take the last train to Clarksville? Risk breaking another key to figure out how this one should fit together?

Such a maddening, ridiculous problem that was so clearly being exacerbated by lack of sleep and coffee that I had to laugh; like trying to thread a needle, drunk, with a croquet mallet.
(Oh, and in my After Action Report I did give a hearty “hat’s off” to all makers of eensy-weensy extruded, stamped and mold-injected plastic things that can be clicked together with a jeweler’s loupe and a patient hour of yoga breathing (with a break at the 15 minute mark to search the area for one more part that mustmustmust exist and be of a certain shape if my theory of the component is correct. It did; a cat’s-toenail-sliver of white plastic hiding in a crease in a white cloth) into an ingenious scissor-like hinge that holds itself in place using nothing more than the Weak Force and nostalgia.)

And lastly, today is exciting Lap #388 of the Democratic Primary 500, which, around Lap #244, was already getting about as cramped and seething and uncomfortable as being stuck on a cross-country bus trip

seated between George and Martha.

All of which, taken in the aggregate, screams one thing:

Time to turn down the world for a minute

And turn up something loud and goofy.

9 comments:

Phil said...

Aye, welcome to the world of atomic structures.
I broke the "G" key on my laptop.
Being a mekanik, you would think I would have some top secret method of dealing with miniaturized gizmo's, umm no.
I think I lost some kind of tiny fucking spring somewhere. I got it back together and it works, it just doesn't stand up as far and there is no travel when I hit it.
You need a drink after screwing around with that kind of shit after about two minutes, just to calm down.

Fran / Blue Gal said...

And your cat is too large and too precious to flush, I expect.

Sigh. Same with my children. ;)

Phil said...

Hmm, I never did watch that movie, looks pretty good. And, being the shithead I am, I noticed at the end of that video it gave credit to Blue Oyster Cult for Ball Room Blitz.
HOOOOOOONK!
Wrong.
The bands name was, Sweet.
I know, I know, I'll go crawl back under a truck now and leave all you nice people alone.

Anonymous said...

And where were the Castle wenches when you needed them?

Oh... right.

Anonymous said...

Oh My Goodness! And I thought I was the ONLY ONE with a Baaad Putter Cat ...

Also there is a certain feline now on my shit list who felt compelled to awaken me before dawn to remind that Catz Gotta Eat, ... climbed up on my laptop keyboard ... dug in her claws ...

Oh, my. My laptop had to get shipped to Fracking Texas for a new keyboard. (That was AFTER I realized that the little plastic thingey keys are built on illusory arcs of plastic springy nothings.)

It is no consolation: But that putter cat has passed over (In the great Chinese Cat-Rat-Poison Food Total Renal Failure fiasco of global "free" trade.) Nor is it any help that relations and acquaintances who are far less computer literate than I said: Well, yuh. Yer supposed to ALWAYS put the top down when you leave the computer to piss. Or something.

Am very sorry Driftglass that you had this close encounter with Cats Gone Wild. Or: We Can Not Resist the Electric Stuff Witch's Familiars Brigade.

Get well soon. And stay away from the "E" key. It will never work again.

Anonymous said...

Yep: Same thing happened to me, twice (to be fair, the first time it was my fault -- not the cat's).

Nothing makes you feel more like you've got bratwurst for fingers than fumbling with those tiny little springy thingies that attach key to keyboard. Never did quite get it work correctly the first time, so I first had to train myself to mash down on the "l" key a little harder than the others -- and then un-train that reflex, when I got a new laptop.

Fortunately, the second repair (on my purchased-just-the-day-before laptop) worked much better ... after what seemed like hours of cursing and screaming and barely restraining myself from flinging the laptop against the wall, the key finally clicked into place, and more importantly, stayed there. I tell you: it was the closest that cat's ever come to being made into a coonskin cap.

You have my deepest sympathy.

TMEubanks said...

You should have parrots - they can take apart a keyboard in seconds. Was a big problem when ours were adolescents - not so much now.

Anonymous said...

Marshall, from your mouth! I saw a wonderful photo of a friend's cockatoo standing proudly in the middle of what takes you some time to identify as a keyboard. Of course, this same industrious little chap also took it upon himself to dismantle his cage once, from the inside, helpfully breaking welds in the areas that lacked nuts and bolts. They came home and found him sitting on his perch on the ground in the middle of the dismantled cage pieces... My parrots seem content to destroy the occasional piece of furniture, but then I would NEVER leave them unsupervised in a room with a computer...

Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to think these animals are jealous of the time the owners spend on the keys.

That would 'splain a LOT!!

You folks need to get out more, and take your cats, parrots and cockatoo's for a walk now and then.

TWEET! *G*