Sunday, September 16, 2007

You asked



You got.

Another fave from Leonard Cohen. Closing Time.

How you gonna beat?
"And it's partner found, it's partner lost
and it's hell to pay when the fiddler stops"


Or
"And the whole damn place goes crazy twice
and it's once for the devil and once for Christ
but the Boss don't like these dizzy heights
we're busted in the blinding lights,
busted in the blinding lights
of closing time"


Probably more appropriate to store up for the final days of the Dubya Maladministration, but I'm impatient, a sucker for a beautiful tune, feeling just a little "And I just don't care what happens next/ looks like freedom but it feels like death/ it's something in between I guess", the autumnal equinox approaches, and I need something vital to take the rotting meat taste of Mouse Circus poop out of my mouth.

And so...

"I lift my glass to the Awful Truth
which you can't reveal to the Ears of Youth
except to say it isn't worth a dime."

3 comments:

Ivory Bill Woodpecker said...

Another favorite. :)

Anonymous said...

Vintage Cohen is too much for Monday morning, especially that last quote from "Closing Time."
These are far from "the ears of youth," but vintage Cohen is to be kept behind a glass cover for 2 AM emergencies.............
LC, John Prine and Terry Allen are the voices I hang on to as the Land of the Free slides into chaos.

Anonymous said...

20 years in the restaurant and bar biz.

I love Lenny, he speaks the truth.

Drifty yer a hoss of hosses.

I bow to yer wow.

"Can we get another round of shots here, please?"