Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Brother can you spare an earmark?



File under: You know they're still wondering "What the fuck just happened?"

Look, I know perfectly well that Katherine Harris is never going to miss a meal, or have to ride the bus like a commoner.

I know that desperation and penury will never drive her to the to the poetic heights of, say, a Ewan McTeagle and his epic ”Lend us a quid till the end of the week.”

Lend us a quid till the end of the week.
If you could see your way
To lending me sixpence
I could at least buy a newspaper.
That's not much to ask anyone.

Or…
Owe gie to me a shillin for some fags
And I'll pay yer back on Thursday.
But if you can wait till Saturday
I'm expecting a divvy from the
Harpenden Building Society.


Or a “'To Ma Own Beloved Mary. A poem on her 17th birthday”
Lend us a couple of bob till Thursday
I'm absolutely skint
But I'm expecting a postal order
And I can pay you back
As soon as it comes.


Much less something as mighty and epic as “Can I have £50 to mend the shed?”

Can I have Fifty pounds to mend the shed?
I'm right on my Uppers.
I can pay you back
When I get this postal order from Australia
Honestly.
Hope the bladder trouble's getting better.
Love, Ewen?


Nonetheless I could not listen to this report I heard on my local Nice Polite Republican affiliate without helplessly laughing my ass off.

Here's how the tale begins...


"Former Lawmakers Let Go of the Congressional Life

Listen to this story... by Peter Overby

All Things Considered, December 5, 2006 · Nobody was maudlin enough to say it quite this way, but for 27 members of Congress, today was the first day of the rest of their lives. Some are retiring voluntarily. Others were fired by the voters last month. They spent Tuesday morning getting advice on how to disengage from Capitol Hill and find new careers.
...


Go here to click on the audio, because the Nice Polite Republicans don't likey the hot-link.


Once God built a Party
Made it run
Ran it on race and on slime.
Once God built a Party
Now it's done
And a lot of the will be doing time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Driftglass, Sir, that was very good.
Might you be susceptible to gentle nudging, to write an SF novel or do something interesting with that astounding outline from last year's Good Friday post, the alternate history?

I'd buy the book, even if I had to eat potato and bean soup for a week.

I just ask ... your post made me remember one of Lois McMaster Bujold's SF novels, where the character Aral Vorkosigan is described as coming up with rhyming political criticisms when he was younger and got drunk.

Anonymous said...

Re picture of your Spamcatcher Mark II -

- it looked just like a pretty design until I changed my setting on Firefox "View," from "Basic Page Style" to "No Style."

The pretty design became much less stretched out, and I could see that it was obviously a batliff.

Now THAT is the way to deal with spam.

Anonymous said...

Regardless of what "that Perty" is full of, you, Driftglass, are certainly abounding with the true yankee-doodle-dee-dum.

Thanks for being one of the "kids with the drum."

Anonymous said...

BWAHAHAHAH!

I read the Yeats poem, three posts above, right before I read your selections from Ewan McTeagle, and all I have to say is,

BWAHAHAHAH!

You sir, are a beautiful human being.

Anonymous said...

Chimin' in with the sequeway -

"But now I've the most charming of verandahs
I sit and watch the junkies,
the drunks, the pimps, the whores
Five green bottles 'r sittin on the floor
& I wish to Christ, I wish to Christ
That I had fifteen more

And it's lend me ten pounds,
I'll buy you a drink
And mother wake me early in the morning..."

Boys from the County Hell - the Pogues