Thursday, September 28, 2006

Over at Gilliard’s House,


He’s asking for some coin.

I don’t have a “help driftglass keep the wolf at bay” fund. Yet. Part of the reason has to do with the trickiness of staying cloaked while fundraising, and part of it is the ROI on even trying such a thing with a site that has such light (albeit brilliant, trenchant, sexy and sweet-smelling) traffic.

And part of it is I don't have the time to subtract from my other jobs to do the homework I'd need to do to figure out how to make this tight and profitable. Ironic, no?

However, if you have in the past expressed an interest in hitting my nonexistent tip jar for a buck (and many of you have, which is hella nice), how about you consider heading over to Gilly’s House and making a donation with my compliments?

I know that a lot of us are strapped these days, but if you can I know it would be appreciated. I do, regularly. I’m not starving, but I’m also not possessed of wealth, and Gilly's is one of the places I choose to spend my modest resources.

Why?

Because I’m incredibly fucking selfish, that’s why.

Over at Gilliard’s, commentor klyde asked this question about the state of our poor, abused nation:
“For the love of God how did this happen?


I still read Gilly every day, and comment there when time and circumstances permit, and this is what I wrote in reply to klyde’s question.

One hateful prayer from Jerry Falwells's pulpit at time.

One nigger joke at a time.

One feminazi comment at a time.

One racist pandered to instead of being publicly denounced and bitch-slapped at a time.

One tax cut so those welfare queens won't get my money at a time.

One "It ain't me and mine, so fuck 'em" at a time.

One wingnut Senator at a time.

One union busted at a time.

One DeLay at a time.

One "Path to 9/11" treated as serious drama and fact instead of fascist agitprop at a time.

One "black baby" and Swiftboat armada at a time.

One global warming report rewritten by a science-free hack at a time.

One Brownie at a time.

One fag-bashing law at a time.

One science-hating fake Christian at a time.

One "The Government is the Problem" shithead at a time.

One militia at a time.

One public school left to go to rot at a time.

One Christian madrass opened up because the public schools will pollute my little freak's mind with free thought at a time.

One "State's Right" wink-wink speech at a time.

One lie at a time.

One Confederate Flag displayed with pride instead of horror and shame at a time.

One Limbaugh broadcast at a time.

One reporter going silent to protect their access and paycheck at a time.

And one apathetic, sniveling, cowardly Moderate at a time who looked on the mounting evil they were allowing the run wild and said, "They're not really serious", "They're not really so terrible" and "Well you know Ted Kennedy is really fat" at a time.

There is no way we are going to reason and compromise and triangulate and finesse our battered nation out of the hands of the fools and criminals and killers who have hijacked her.

There is no room left to wriggle and nothing unimportant left to trade off to the sociopaths in hopes that if we just give up one more right, one more virtue, one more principle, one more sacred, irreplaceable measure of the Liberty that our fathers and mothers died -- died! -- to bequeath to us, that they’ll finally leave us alone and in peace.

Sorry, but these fuckers want it all. And weak appeasement buys us nothing but their sadist’s giggles as they curb-stomp what was good about America to death right before our eyes.

There is no peace to be found with them, which is why we need men and women who know how to hit back hard over and over and over again to stand with us and for us and to catapult our fucking propaganda like hot metal through a snowbank.

Gilly does that job for me, and that seems to me to be worth at least the price of a bottle of good scotch.

Which is what I mean when I say I do this out of selfishness. Because I selfishly want me and mine to live in the paradise this nation could be, and not in some Neanderthal’s medieval, nightmare vision of a berserk, nuclear-tipped Jebusland.

I think that’s a culture war damned well worth having, and I want talented people who will fight that fight with and for me to have the equipment and support they need to take the battle straight at the enemy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stout words, brother.

Anonymous said...

"[A]nd that seems to me to be worth at least the price of a bottle of good scotch."

I'll drink to that, bro. Which is what I'm doing right now, because this Torture Bill, soon to become LAW once the President anoints it with his divine chrism and seals it with his ring that will also be used to bust Mooslims in the face at Gitmo and Whoknowswhereistan. I'm sick about this. I can honestly say that in my 39 and 2/3 years of existence that I have never been more ashamed of being an American than I am today. And I know we started a criminal war in Iraq, but now we're saying, "Fuck not just the law, but the principles that stand behind them." Did I tell you I'm sick over this? Well, I'm sick. Fucking SICK.

Anonymous said...

Drifty, I mailed Gill $50 a few days ago (I don't trust PayPal).

Anonymous said...

DG,, not to be untoward,,, have you ever considered a old-fashioned, non-high-techie thing like a P.O. Box?

Now, I ain't no expert,, but aren't the P.O. boxes pretty stealthy ?

I'm probably not the only regular reader who feels the need to reciprocate for all the ideas and provoking lyrical constructions that you share with us.

just an idea.

Plus,, kinda cool that you ask for contribs to be sent elsewhere.

But then again, it don't suprise me none.

Anonymous said...

what a conundrum.
(a tip jar for the invisible Dude)

Perhaps there is a suitable foundation or other bibliotaphic organization which could be benefitted?

In the inimitable words of Wayne Campbell, "Do you accept... Cash?"

The Minstrel Boy said...

yeah, i read your comment over there and was again, amazed. you said it perfectly. i dropped some coin on the gilly, and a little extra on shakes too. it's getting so that bloggers represent me better than the cowardly fucks in congress.

Interrobang said...

Driftglass, that "one...at a time" thing is brilliant. Mind if I borrow it?

Karen McL said...

Wonderful from YoU -- and the piece above. I saw Babbles misarticulations of a snake spout from his throat.

But YoU capture it so well! (Though YoU already knew that.) *wink*