Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Now if sex and sliders...


can be shown to reverse the effects of smoking, I’ll have to rethink my theology from the top down.

This from the Chicago Tribune

Coffee May Reduce Risk of Cirrhosis

By CARLA K. JOHNSON
Associated Press Writer
Published June 12, 2006, 8:14 PM CDT
CHICAGO -- Coffee may counteract alcohol's poisonous effects on the liver and help prevent cirrhosis, researchers say. In a study of more than 125,000 people, one cup of coffee per day cut the risk of alcoholic cirrhosis by 20 percent. Four cups per day reduced the risk by 80 percent. The coffee effect held true for women and men of various ethnic backgrounds.

It is unclear whether it is the caffeine or some other ingredient in coffee that provides the protection, said study co-author Dr. Arthur Klatsky of the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research in Oakland, Calif.

Of course, there is a better way to avoid alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver, Klatsky said.

"The way to avoid getting ill is not to drink a lot of coffee, but to cut down on the drinking" of alcohol, he said.

The participants ranged from teetotalers, who made up 12 percent of the total, to heavy drinkers, who made up 8 percent. The researchers calculated the risk reductions rate for the whole group, not just the drinkers.

Not all heavy drinkers develop cirrhosis, an irreversible scarring of the liver that hurts the organ's ability to filter toxins from the blood. Klatsky said the new findings may help explain why some people's livers survive heavy alcohol use.

Hepatitis C and some inherited diseases can also cause cirrhosis. But the study found coffee did not protect the liver against those other causes of scarring.

The same study found coffee drinkers had healthier results on blood tests used to measure liver function, whether or not they were heavy alcohol users. Coffee's effect on reducing liver enzymes in the blood was more apparent among the heavy drinkers in the study.

Cirrhosis from all causes kills more than 27,000 Americans a year and sends nearly 400,000 to the hospital.

The findings, published in Monday's Archives of Internal Medicine, build on reports that coffee also may reduce the risk of liver cancer.


The researchers found no reduced risk of cirrhosis for tea drinkers. Tea has less caffeine than coffee and there were fewer heavy tea drinkers in the study, so if caffeine is the protective ingredient, an effect may not have shown up for tea in the study, Klatsky said.


Sorry tea-sippers, but as David Bowie definitively proved in the mid-80s, this is the Coffee Generation.

Now obviously, moderation in all things, except for kissing cobras or voting for mopes, in which case “Just Say No.” But if the Intelligent Designer’s really want to make some rhetorical headway, they need to jettison the piffle about the shape of people’s hands and that a Banana Split




implies a Divine Banana-Maker (h/t to Crooks & Liars' deep bench for that one)


and get down to brass tacks.

Or taxes.

You know, I’ve heard persuasive arguments for both but I can never make up my mind.

Anyway, if you want to back your sweet Genesis-ass into Science class, what better argument than the Almighty in His wisdom brought coffee forth from the dust -- to be consumed, according to the Turkish proverb, “black as night, strong as death and sweet as love” -- to help redeem our whiskeyed sins.

Which means that a well-constructed Irish Coffee made from a nice Jamaican Blue or Kona, laced with Powers or Tullemore Dew and capped with fresh whipped cream is, in fact, the apex of creation.

Which I have always suspected.

18 comments:

Doc Johnson said...

This would explain my seeming immortality of my liver wrt the Demon Alcohol.

OT, I saw the bit over on Crooks and Liars about Coulter, the one w/ David Horowitz, and I was struck by something. On the one hand, we were told over and over during the election that Bush struck people as the kind of guy you could sit down and have a beer with. Not sure about this as a qualification for Supreem Leeder, but okay. Now, however, holding the lying buffoon accoutable for his lying is simply a no-no? Seems to me that any of my drinkin' buddies who acted like Bush the Lesser would pretty soon take a pool cue upside the head (all in good fun of course). Sometimes the irony threatens to make my head explode, I swear.

Anonymous said...

Count that 'Coffee Thwarts Liver Warts' study up there with ID, the Easter Bunny, and everything you ever heard on FauxNewz.

Tis Crap.

But it sells.

That study was so wonderfully horribley done, I'm waiting for Mike the Mad, or some well versed sciencey bloggr to take it apart (Robert Park's 'What's New' will likely, but that'll have to wait till friday).

That said, I will continue to warm my morning cuppajoe with whatever sterno I can find. Bailey's when I can, Emmetts tis good, but Carolyns - so baaad, tastes like melted plastic. BTW, Whiskey B4 Breakfast WBAGNFORB.
-skunq

Anonymous said...

How about voting for cobras? Oh wait, we already have a party of snakes. It's called the GOP.

Anonymous said...

Instead of Powers or Tullamore Dew (and I really like Tullamore), may I suggest Black Bush Irish whiskey (originally known as Bushmill's Black Label)? Barring anything that costs more than $40/bottle (none of which I have tried or am even disposed to try at this time, mainly due to limited finances), Black Bush is the finest whiskey you can drink, regardless of national origin. To be clear, Irish whiskey is the best in the world. And Scotch sucks. There, I said it. I know I am about to incur the wrath of some of your readers and maybe you too, drifty, but it had to be said. If I want to taste burnt wood I'd be an arsonist, which is also why I don't like bourbon, and I realize I now just pissed off another segment of your readership, DG. But these things must be said. If I can steer all you misguided, inebriated Scotch and/or bourbon drinking souls to true whiskey pleasure it will be worth it.

Karen McL said...

Hahahhahaha! Now Where-Evah did you get that video clip of the "Banana Splits" - A Howl! (But of course I am old enough to remember them from TeeVee. *sigh*)

But being a Coffa-holic and a Choco-holic... which were not so long ago on the *Bad list* and are now determined to be GOOD for you - along with Red Wine (YUM) and Olive Oil - ya just have to follow the maxim of enjoying *AnYthing In Moderation* (except maybe hemlock, cyanide and devil's cap mushrooms).

*smile*

And I'll take that Irish Coffee any ole day of the week!

Rich Miller said...

Oh happy day.

jurassicpork said...

Civilization peaked with freeze-dried coffee crystals, I'm afraid.

Anonymous said...

Waiter...

Anonymous said...

John- I'll play along, but you're buying!

jurassicpork said...

Hey, DG and Co., check out this sendup of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here."

It's called "Wish You Were Gore."

Anonymous said...

us blues:

I'll buy the first round, only because I know that after you sample the goods you'll buy me a case of Black Bush as an expression of your undying gratitude. You'll be a born-again whiskey drinker. Those are the kind of born-agains I like.

Anonymous said...

JPork- thanx for the link!

John- my heart says a case, my wallet says a bottle!

DG- you keepin' your head above water, bro?

Anonymous said...

John: "Black Bush is the finest whiskey you can drink, regardless of national origin."

why you effete eastern elitist! ;)

buy American! George Dickel Tennessee Whisky or a good Kentucky Bourbon like Jim Beam Black Label

Anonymous said...

gay veteran:

I currently live in Wyoming and grew up in Nebraska, so that makes me an effete Western elitist, thank you very much. I've tried Jim Beam Black Label, and while I concede that it is better than most bourbons I've tried, I still gotta stick with my Irish. It's just soooooo damn smooooooooooth!


us blues:

I understand completely. The spirits are willing, but the cash is weak.

Anonymous said...

John- I was in Wyoming on Monday (drove up from the Mile Hi area), I shoulda looked you up!

Anonymous said...

to quote the great Eyebeam "Caffeine by Day, Alcohol by Night"

Anonymous said...

John, the Bushmills distillery (oldest in the world) make three whiskeys Bushmills, The Black Bush & a Single Malt.

42 said...

black bush sounds like some kinda venereal diseae, but I'll keep it in mind.

still the greatest whisky I've had has to be Oban. like drinking a dry Heath toffee bar. but Maker's Mark will do in a pinch since Oban is so freakin expensive.