Monday, March 06, 2006

Thank you.


Thank you v’ruh much.

The awards thing is upon us.

I'm deeply ambivalent about such things, but I’m also I’m tired, and the hour is late, and the sun beat it out of town ahead of the sheriff three days ago and I have (Prepare for awful writer’s joke) similes to go before I sleep (Awful writer’s joke completed. Resume level flying.) so let me cheat a little and pull my own words back up from a hundred posts ago to say this about laurels:

"...So there it is, dumped out in no particular order. All of those things, all true and all chock-a-block with one another -- an inevitability, a distraction, a kind of accidental fencing match with people I only want to admire, a kind and much-appreciated compliment and a tingly tongue in the ear of my vanity. A clutter of sharply conflicting feelings, which doesn’t surprise me since the inside of my head is a cluttered place.

If you go out into the world and say nice things about what I write here, that’s terrific and I appreciate it. But if not, that perfectly OK too. I’m not going to crusade or ballyhoo, but I’m not going to cop to any bullshit false modesty either. I write well and I know it. Many, many others write well and I’m grateful every day for it.

But in the end, isn't that what's cool? That Left Bloggerton is so...profligate? So overflowing with talented and passionate people?

Let me keep this short and sweet: I compete with no one who travels beside me, lets me lean on their dazzling words when I need strength or a laugh, and covers my back.

Period.

This isn’t a race, it’s a movement. This isn’t a contest, it’s a cause.

However it’s nice to know what I do is appreciated, and that I can keep honorable company with so many men and women I deeply admire without wondering if someone is going to discover my borrowed coat and fake ID and come frog-march me back to the kids table :-)

So here’s the deal.

First, thank you all, most sincerely. Readers of this blog have nominated it for eight Koufaxes (Koufices?) in seven categories.

For me awards themselves fall wispily into the “All glory is fleeting” hamper: I am quite sure, for example, I still have a bit of rotting, blue rayon tucked away somewhere that absolutely I lived and died over in fourth grade, obediently following the same impulse that Napoleon described when he said that, “A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.”

Well I don’t want to fight for scraps of silk: life is too short and my friends and champions in Left Bloggylvania too numerous and talented and variegated for a “Best” moniker to be anything but a curiosity.

Because in the end, how can any sane person develop any kind of metric that would allow us to compare the kind of 15-round, lead-weighted-and-barbed-wire-laced bone-crackin' that Steve Gilliard hands out gratis three times a day with James Wolcott‘s brand of effortless whipwork so marksmanlike and castrate-o-riffic that Vincent Price’s “Baka” from “The Ten Commandments” would happily stand in line to take lessons?

Who doles out more laughs-per-syllable: The General, or The Rude One?

It’s a strange game, but some of you thought enough to take the trouble to go over and take the trouble, and that is worth stopping the Merry-Go-Round for a minute and saying thanks.

So...Thanks ;-)

Here are the categories…

Best Blog (non-professional)


Best Writing


Best New Blog


Most Deserving of Wider Recognition


Best Post


Best Series


Most Humorous Blog


But, c'mon, doesn’t this come with just an itty-bitty side of nudge-nudge-wink-wink?

Oh fuck no: My karma buises like a hemophiliac summer peach as it is.

No, pursue your bliss. Follow your weird with purity of heart. Do as you please, do unto others, don’t covet thy neighbor’s wife’s ass (Babelfish has a little trouble with the translation, but I think that covers the gist), don’t sweat the petty things and don’t pet the sweaty things, and gradually the planet will return to a harmonious state of dynamic balance.

That’s the first part: the giving of proper thanks.

The second part is, you’d be nuts not to go over and check out the compilation of purely excellent blogs and bloggers that the folks at Wampum have worked so hard to pull together. It may or may not represent the closest thing to an anthology of the “Best of 2006” we are likely to get, but it is a seriously great start place.

Whether you vote for anyone, don’t vote, or vote for Pat Buchanan and then swear you didn’t is entirely secondary.

Instead I would strongly urge you to blow past the writers you know, plunge right in, and hog out kid-in-a-candy-store style at the bounty of brilliant, funny, passionate and occasionally-heartbreaking words that have been strewn at your feet.

An embarassment of riches, absolutely free of charge.

And that, in the end, is the one redemptive quality of laurels.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you and keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Glass...

...We are all judged by the company we keep. Your outpost of Gonzo Blogism is an oasis for the rest of us swimming in the sewer of BushCo.

...It was once said of George Thorogood that when others are seeking and groping in the jungle to find the route to the fountain of Rock-N-Roll inspiration... that when they get there, they find George Thorogood is swimming in it.

...Same applies to you vis-a-vis the righteous indignation regarding the rape of America we all feel but few express quite so...(what is the right word? lets go with)...well.

...I for one am voting a straight Driftglass ticket...and proud of it.

PS: on the Electoral Election Fraud front...check this out
http://www.democraticunderground.com/crisis/06/050_ep.html
if you lack the time to look into the other 50 references.

Anonymous said...

Yer awesome drifty. I started perusing the best n. c. list yesterday and found some great stuff. I got zero work done, but hey, snakes on a plane, right?

Anonymous said...

I for one am voting a straight Driftglass ticket

Me too.

xoxox

Leigh

Karen McL said...

"This isn’t a contest, it’s a cause."

TOO True...but you dance it SOOoo well and are the Best partner in the room.

So - who could resist a Tango or two with Driftyglass!!

;-)

Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

"...a true defender of the realm."

Yuo deserve all of the approbation, recognition and kudos we can possibly muster on your behalf Driftie. Good luck - I know who I'm voting for.

Anonymous said...

Vote cast...unfortunately not in the old Daley machine way of "early and often", but the sumb*tch will count! :)

Least I could do to acknowledge the skills of a cat who makes me go "diz-amn!" when I read his words. And baby, there are p*sspoor few who can move me to that in the wild n' wooly ol' blogosphere--especially while taking hammer and dynamite to evil's monuments on high.

You inspire and inform. Just what's needed.

Best,
LowerManhattanite

Karen McL said...

Dear Difty- just because you *inspire* me - I've got a FUN one for ya. (Though It's understood am no where near the writer you are - nor as proficient at photoshop. *sigh* but I practice any way!)

You might get a grin out of:

Political Wanker-Ball.

- it's ALL in a good cause!!

jurassicpork said...

I nominated you in a few categories but I suspect that I wasn't the only one. Good night and good luck.

driftglass said...

What can I say but thank you?

Oh, and I'm typing this nekkid :-)

Miss Cellania said...

I knew you were up for best writing, because I was one of the many who nominated you. But I had no idea you were in so many categories! You have a gift for storytelling. No matter how confused I may get along the way, I am always glad I read the WHOLE thing by the time I get to the payoff in your posts. And some make me cry. Best of luck.

Karen McL said...

Hmmm...I thought all bloggers typed in the *buff* (*evil grin*)and nekkid went without saying? Dis i MISS sumpthin?

%-)

Anonymous said...

www.Dead-Yahoo.com - is a very dynamic, complex server that allows you to upload and download as many files as you can possibly imagine! With up to 2GB upload capacity that no other server allows, Dead-Yahoo is unquestionably the best on the net. Not only a high-capacity upload volume, but full-bandwith speed (download/upload) is one of the other great features that ranks Dead-Yahoo number one on the charts. Dead-Yahoo takes the world of sharing to the next level!