Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Morning Comin’ Down.


"How high is the bullshit, Momma?"

"Five feet high and risin'."

A tepid cup of air pudding whipped and frapped and frothed up into nothing in particular was what was on the menu this morning at the Mouse Circus, which was fine by me. I’m busily scooting between holiday commitments (digital and analog) out in the web-free zone...

...and I also hear tell there’s trouble over ta' Whoville.

Seems some sumbitch Halliburtoned the whole place last night and now they’re putting together a posse. I have a cousin in the next town over – WTF-ylvania – that's married to Cindy Lu's aunt, and he blew in a call and asked if I wanted to head over to the scene of the crime and help the locals do some Caroling with Extreme Prejudice.

So with any luck, some coal-hearted bastard’s gonna take a severe Grinchslapping before the sun rises, and I am always up for that.

But in the interstitial moments...

I caught a few minutes of Brokaw and Koppel waltzing each other around the set of Timmuh’s House of Ponderously Declaimed Quotes. Unseemly, especially as they were both trying to lead while snowballing (look it up…but you won’t like it. Not nearly as “Yuletidy” as it sounds, so maybe wait until something a little more debauchery-based – like New Year's – hoves itself into view.) saccharine nougat about each other and the press generally back and forth until it looked as dirty and pallid as two-weeks-after-the-blizzard-alley-slush.

Mmmm! High-Glucose-and-lip-gloss Saliva Slurpees for everyone!

It was strange – and sad – to see Koppel explain that, in advance of Operation Clusterfuck, while the press might have been a tiny, (insert 322 hedging, qualifying, mitigating adjectives here) soft, it was nonetheless not the job of the press to do anything other that assume that they were being told the unalloyed truth by the Administration before the launching something as major as a massive land war in the Middle East.

Koppel explained that it was perfectly natural to assume that the politicians who were launched this invasion were simple, ‘umble public servants, doing nothing more than patrolling the streets of Mayberry, jiggling the doorknobs of Floyd’s Barber Shop and Wally's Garage to make sure all was safe and secure. That to push back on the facts even slightly was somehow wildly beyond what anyone could have expected from a free and fair press.

Oh, and that had 9/11 happened on Bill Clinton’s watch, Clinton would have invaded Iraq exactly as Dear Leader did.

Wow! I can’t even begin to parse all the things that are grotesquely wrong with that little slice of flippant and reckless Ouija-buggery other than to suggest that one may be forgiven for speculating that somewhere out there, Ken Mehlman is holding a gun to the head of Koppel’s favorite puppy, whispering into Ted’s earpiece, “Say it, bitch! Say it or I Rapture little Cronkite here to that big puppy farm in the sky!”

Then, oh, about three minutes later, the SAME Ted Koppel explained to us that Washington is a town overrun with press flaks and spinmonkeys who are only interested in Making Joyful Noises to the public about the Good News about their client's services, products, policies, bribery and various treasons. Which is why the press must be the one, vigilant institution focused on dragging the bad news and the unpleasant facts out from whatever Partisan Procrustean Bed in which they're being racked and ravaged.

In fact, Democracy itself demands it.

Except, of course, in the case of pre-Iraqi Invasion reporting…when reporters were (and, according to Koppel, should properly have been) obedient children who eat up all the yummy sugar cookies Rummy and Cheney baked for them and toddle off to bed and let the grownups worry about the why’s and where’s and wherefore's of taking America to war.


So, to translate from MSM Flabspeak into English, it is perfectly OK for the press to sup lavishly at the teat of the GOP Lie Machine until a story like Katrina literally knocks them off the bibble spigot by walloping them upside the head with an 80-pound maul of a story that is taking place literally in their own back yard…

…at which point the press will peevishly stagger to its feet, groggily spring into action, and then spend the next four months blearily congratulating themselves on what acutely perceptive newshounds they are.

Sad.

The only moment of relief was when Timmuh showed some tape from years gone by of Robert Frost reciting “The Gift Outright”, which was very nice. And since I have to get back on the road again –- and since the “Out To Noel” sign that everyone in Left Blogistan hangs on thier door uses phrase “miles to go” -- I thought it doubly appropriate to drag Frost’s brief masterpiece -- "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" –- out of the onionskin columbarium of my Norton Anthology and post it up here, along with two others that feel…emotionally timely.

First, since this is a blog, Frost on the subject of blogging at its best, with “A Time to Talk”

When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don’t stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven’t hoed,
And shout from where I am, What is it?
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.


Second, in much of this country the nights are very long now, and cold. The time of year has come again when it’s easier for the blues or one's own “black dog” to slip in and settle down for longer visits.

So for those of us who are very well “Acquainted with the night” , this…
I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain --and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height
One luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.


And lastly, the famous, gorgeous, sensual and seasonally-appropriate, “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”....

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

That clip of Robert Frost was from an NBC morning show back in 1955 Driftie. I was still trying to get back on "The Tit" at the time, but I do recall seeing it quite a few times over the years since i last supped at Mom's Mammary & Diner. Frost was the man that turned me on to poetry and its power to transform souls, hearts and minds.
It was the best moment of the morning talkies. Thanx for the follow up.

Merry Xmas!!! The Doc

Anonymous said...

we've seen "Clerks," thank you

Anonymous said...

I had a similar impression, watching a late night edition of face the nation tonight, which if could be considered facing anything, it would be to do so with an odd normalcy, relish even of --constipatation -- as the now and becoming state of the nation, whereby the expanding and bloated body unable to shit or get off the pot (in iraq) is now accepted as the desirable and natural way of satisfaction, so long as we can call it victory and get outta the stall -- before the fucker blows.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Robert Frost DG, as you say it fits so well.

jurassicpork said...

Ah, one of my fave Frost poems. Thanks for that little ole chestnut for our holiday hearths.

And a belated Merry Christmas. I never got near the PC last night, on account of my playing with my new toy, a hand-held DVD player courtesy of the wife. Oh, and WAR MADE EASY, courtesy of Number One son, who used it for his studies and recycled it to dear Old Dad since he thought it would be right up his alley.

And he was right.

Still, were it not for the conviction of my political beliefs, having a son in college having somewhat tamer convictions than I would be embarrassing. Well, the stakes are too high for embarrassment. As Frost would say, "the play's for mortal stakes ("Two Tramps at Mudtime", I believe)."

And, as usual, good post. I think Koppel getting out is a very timely thing. His contradictory statements on the duty of the press is an indication that he may be losing his edge.

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

One of my earlier work passwords was from the first letters of the first line of Frost's Stopping By. But one day a hacker stole a list of the passwords and I had to flee to William Blake. Many thanks for the reacquaintance.

parsec

Anonymous said...

Thanks DG, and may this point in Mother Earth's orbit at which the tilt of her axis is aligned with her Sun be a season of joy and good tidings for you rather than blues and black dogs.

I particularly appreciated "A Time to Talk" and resolve to stand my hoe in the ground a bit more often this year. It is wonderful to be connected by your words.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

I never realised how important a good bed was until I got a bad back�.
Over 1,400 members of BackCare, the national organisation for healthy backs, responded to our Back Your Bed survey - the first of its kind to explore the views on beds of those who suffer from bad backs and the experts who treat them.
SUMMARY OF THE BACK YOUR BED SURVEY RESULTS
Buying a good bed is one of the most important purchases you can make when it comes to back pain relief. Nine out of 10 say their bed is more important to them since they developed back pain; 98% agreed that a good, supportive bed could help a bad back. 82% of experts felt that the right bed could help prevent back pain.
"If you cannot rest properly and sleep well, this hinders recovery from back problems."
A firm, supportive bed, not a hard one, can do wonders to ease and even prevent bad backs. Only 22% of sufferers had bought a bed classed as �orthopaedic�; while 28% describe their bed support as �medium�. Only 6% of experts would recommend an orthopaedic bed to patients.

Three quarters would be prepared to spend more than �500 on a new bed: compared with just 36% of the �normal� population. Nearly one in 10 would pay more than �2,000 for a new bed to get the comfort and relief they need.
Back pain sufferers are twice as likely as the rest of the population to own a new bed - 50% have beds that are less than five years old compared to the national average of 24%.
88% are satisfied with their choice � but 16% said they would get a better quality one next time; while 9% would opt for something firmer; 5% said they would choose a softer bed and 4% wanted a bigger one.

Sufferers are three times more likely to replace their beds when they no longer feel comfortable (65% compared with just 20%).
31% own a king size bed compared with 11% generally. Separate mattresses zipped together are also popular with couples whose support needs differ or who are easily disturbed by their partner's movements. top
So worth considering when buying a

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! I enjoyed your blog.
air mile calculator

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have a fairly new website that has been online for about 8 months. I looked at alot of websites that are in my area camera clock wall . So my wife and I thought since we love horses we should build a website around that. We have done pretty good so far but I always want to improve. I didn;t realize it would be so time consuming though. But we love it and hope to improve and offer some of the best recourses and products available. Hence the search for content new products and information about what we have. If you decide to come and visit maybe you can offer some advice That would be great. If not well you have A great new year. We hope to soon start a new site for horse adoption and rescue. Hopefully in the spring.

Thank you for your BLOG.

Regards,

camera clock wall

Anonymous said...

I know how hard weight loss is and I want to share a few things with you I found along the way that helped me lose 70lbs in eleven months. I believe these weight loss tips can help you too, no matter what diet you choose to follow.
Link to thie site. teen weight loss

Anonymous said...

Interesting!! :-)
Cowboy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on your blog. I always learn something new when I'm surfing.

If you have a dog perhaps you will be interested in the free natural dog food recipes and dog training info at this link homemade dog food recipes

Anonymous said...


natural weight loss Weight Loss Tips - 101 Weight Loss Plan

101 Plan to Lose 10 Pounds or more and Keep it Off!

There was a time in this world when the need to lose weight was completely unheard of. People ate well, but the worked well too. They woke up early in the morning and then engaged in a whole day's work.

The world has changed so much since those days. Life styles have changed and the comforts and facilities have increased so much. But every rose has its thorn. Weight Loss Tips natural weight loss

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for body information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the resd!

Anonymous said...

I really like the last couple of comments.Great input, now back to working on consumer ionic air purifier.Visit me if you want,consumer ionic air purifier.

Anonymous said...

I somewhat agree, but the question is why.Ok now back to looking up ionic tower uv silent air purifier.Terrific work,ionic tower uv silent air purifier.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, looks like you know what your doing. I just start one and was looking at other to give me some ideas

Thank,
Pat
hoodia weight loss diet pill

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Dry Food information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

Anonymous said...

This is a great opportunity. Just push a button 4 times per day and make $1,000's per month within one year.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a trendy dog collars site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my toy pet robot site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my tops pet products site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my abandoned pet rescue ft. lauderdale site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »