Saturday, October 22, 2005

Dancing Queen


Meets her Waterloo

What could this latest twist in the Judy Miller, Pandemonium Carnival

NYT, Miller Spar Over Role in Leak Probe
By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer

In the latest fallout from the CIA leak investigation, reporter Judith Miller and The New York Times are engaging in a very public fight about her seeming lack of candor in the case.

In a memo to the staff, Executive Editor Bill Keller says Miller "seems to have misled" the newspaper's Washington bureau chief, Phil Taubman, who said Miller told him in the fall of 2003 that she was not one of the recipients of a leak about the identity of covert CIA officer Valerie Plame.

Miller says Keller's criticism is "seriously inaccurate."

"I certainly never meant to mislead Phil, nor did I mislead him," Miller was quoted as saying in a Times story Saturday.

...
In recent weeks, Miller testified to the grand jury in the leak probe that she had discussed Wilson and his wife in three conversations with Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby in June and July of 2003.

Keller wrote that if he had known of Miller's "entanglement" with Libby, he might have been more willing to explore compromises with the prosecutor who was trying to get her testimony for the criminal investigation into the leak of Plame's identity.
Miller spent 85 days in jail for refusing to cooperate with Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald. She was freed on Sept. 29 when she finally agreed to testify.

...
"As for your reference to my 'entanglement' with Mr. Libby, I had no personal, social or other relationship with him except as a source," Miller said.
Underlying the issue is Miller's own flawed prewar reporting on Iraq.

...
"It felt somehow unsavory to begin a tenure by attacking our predecessors," Keller wrote. By waiting more than a year, he said, "We allowed the anger inside and outside the paper to fester. Worse, we fear, we fostered an impression that the Times put a higher premium on protecting its reporters than on coming clean with its readers."

Op-ed columnist Maureen Dowd weighed in with further criticism in Saturday's Times. "Sorely in need of a tight editorial leash, (Miller) was kept on no leash at all, and that has hurt this paper and its trust with readers," Dowd wrote.

If Miller returns to covering national security issues, Dowd wrote, "the institution most in danger would be the newspaper in your hands."



Possibly have to do with this bubble-gum headline fresh from the Eurovision Song Contest?


WATERLOO WINS CONGRATULATIONS

Europe has voted; ABBA wins Congratulations, the anniversary show dedicated to 50 years Eurovision Song Contest. Although the selection method raised the eyebrows of many, the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest winner can now add a new title to the long, long list; the all-time winner of 50 years Eurovision Song Contest! What else can we say than... Congratulations!

The show
The show itself didn't bring any big surprises. The show's most hilarious moment was Birthe Wilke's intervention in the almost-kiss between Katrina and Renars. Slightly embarrassing was Lys Assia's announcement of Helena Paparizou's song... "what was the song title again?" With all respect for the winner of the first Eurovision Song Contest, of course!
...

The results
Remarkably, fans' favourites Eres tu, Everyway that I can and Congratulations didn't make it to the final five. The songs that made it through the first voting round;

• 1958 - Italy - Domenico Modugno - Nel blu di pinto di blu (Volare)
• 1976 - UK - Brotherhood of Man - Save your kisses for me
• 1974 - Sweden - ABBA - Waterloo
• 2005 - Greece - Helena Paparizou - My number one
• 1987 - Ireland - Johnny Logan - Hold me now
...

Judy...and a list of tooth-rotting, pop-factory, neutron-weapon-tunes topped by the retro-viral "Waterloo."

Well, seemingly, very little. To the untutored eye, nothing at all.

Until you figure in the MoDo-“Becky Sharp/Vanity Fair” tropism trope (and isn’t it a rare day when you get to use those two words, back-to-back) more of which you can read about here.

Add in the presence of a tryst cipher between them. Oh, did you think all of that “aspen turning” nonsense was only Cosa Nostra Fish Email?

And finally dope out -- using a very complex algorithm involving DayQuil, scotch and Wild Berry Zinger tea -- that “their” song was “Fernando”...

That she was his “Dancing Queen of All Iraq”...

And that her pillow nickname for him was the bunny-cute, num-num, baby-talk “Ooter-Scoo”...

...and it all falls into place.

What, do I have to spell it out for you?

Well, OK.

1...2...3...

My my, at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself

Ooter-Scoo - I was defeated, your media whore
Ooter-Scoo - promise to love you for ever more
Ooter-Scoo - couldn’t escape if I wanted to
Ooter-Scoo – thought it was my fate is to be with you

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Ooter-Scoo – now finally facing my Waterloo

My my, I tried to get your back but Fitz was stronger
Oh yeah, and now it seems my only chance is giving up the fight

So how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose

Ooter-Scoo - I was defeated, your media whore
Ooter-Scoo - promise to love you for ever more
Ooter-Scoo - couldn’t escape if I wanted to
Ooter-Scoo - knowing my fate is to be with you

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Ooter-Scoo – finally facing my Waterloo

So how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose

Ooter-Scoo - couldn’t escape if I wanted to
Ooter-Scoo - knowing my fate is to be with you

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Ooter-Scoo - finally facing my Waterloo...


I figure every event needs an anthem, and absent something better, this is what'll be banging out of my speakers on Fitzmas Day.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Jan, 1977 tune by ABBA??????????????.

Anonymous said...

Obviously the ravings of a sick, sick man. And now I have an ABBA-Earwig crawling around in my brain. Oh, well, at least it supplanted that gawd-awful Applebee's commercial featuring a take on the Worst Song Ever, the truly excrable "Mambo Italiano" ("Applebee's will thrill ya' with some food right off the grill-a")

Oh no, wait a minute. They're both in there. Aw, shit. Desperate times call for desperate measures.....a cerebral enema featuring "My Sharona" on perpetual repeat-play.

I'll get you for this. Damn your eyes, Driftglass, damn your eyes!

Anonymous said...

uh oh, that fever's kickin up a notch.

DG's turning into Weird Al?

DG! Can you hear me! DG! (smack across the jaw) Wake up! wake up!

(pours whiskey into throat ala 'Kid Shelleen', DG blearily gets up off bar floor, rucks his way over to keyboard, pounds out 4200 word treatise on the metaphorical parallels of "Hang 'Em High" and how the liberal progressive movement of the late 2000s will raw bone the GOP in half)


Just horsin around - great stuff as usual DG, but now I've got flippin Fernando AND Dancing Queen
stuck in my head - dammitt!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is a little "Weird Al," but it's better than anything Miller's gonna write in that crappy book of hers.

Unknown said...

Man there is alot of comment spam I have noticed. Is there any way to remove it from the blogs?

Anonymous said...

I've Made My First Affiliate Commission!

See How I Did It Here - It's Quick And Easy!

ephedra product

Anonymous said...

good info

Anonymous said...

Good post

Anonymous said...

can i get more information?

Anonymous said...

can i get more information?

Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

Anonymous said...

Realmente ho goduto leggere il vostro blog.Toodle-oo, Sau lebanon lasik

Dale's Gmail said...

Hello! While I was searching for info on as seen on tv ab machine I somehow landed here. I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for as seen on tv ab machine. Thanks for the post.

Dale's Gmail said...

While searching for as seen on tv fitness product I just have not had the best search results. Maybe I need to create my own blog and let others post so I can get better info on as seen on tv fitness product.

Dale's Gmail said...

Hi there! While out blog surfing today for specific info on as seen on tv showcase, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about as seen on tv showcase.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I love affiliate programs, and since this web blog have good information... maybe you could add some more info about these programs? Is it out of subject?

However I just want to give you my best luck and keep us posted.

Thanks,
start business online

Anonymous said...

Hi o)

Please subscribe me to your mailing list... I (webmaster) am
interested in learning more about you and your work... I like what I have
seen so far and would like to be kept informed of any developments...

start online business

Anonymous said...

Giving a diamond belly button jewelry to someone you care about is a message of caring. There are so many great local resources now for diamond belly button jewelry . It is easier than ever to pick up the phone or go online and find diamond belly button jewelry.

Another great site with a lot of updating information is http://www.aphroditesaccessories.com. Thanks by the way for such a great blog!

Anonymous said...

Good comments. But, I do not agree with most of them. People sure have a lot of time on their hands.

Anonymous said...

Well made blog you have here! - Interesting information. Please come and visit mine sometime http://www.surveyearn.biz/MysteryShopper/Mystery_Shopper.html-mystery shoppers uk

Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm out blogging and found yours!I have to admit, you seem to have a very well put together blog here!

Regards,

Best affiliate program

Anonymous said...

Rad Webpage!

dermatology abbreviations
http://exclusive-information.net/

Regards,
Gerald E.
http://exclusive-information.net/
dermatology abbreviations

Anonymous said...

Hey just to let you know that yes I am promoting this but if you dont want to save at the pump then dont go to the site but I believe no matter who you are gas is just to expensive.

The goverment is using it and many other huge company's. This is not just some fly by night company or product. This is the real deal.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, you have a very well put together blog here!

Regards,
Custom Disposable Camera

Anonymous said...

Posting information about their industry or field will create a sense of community involvement that potential customers will appreciate. Using links to your business page will create traffic from search engines and blog readers. You can even add a subscription form to your blog so that interested readers can immediately be emailed when you make a post. visit us at Mortgage Refinancing

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my wholesale wicker furniture site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

How is Everyting in YOUR LIFE... Waste your money and your only out your
money,but waste your time and your out part of your life... Dental plans