Friday, October 21, 2005

American Gods.


An e-meter measuring the depth of potential mark’s pockets and gullibility.

The quote goes, “Against stupidity the Gods Themselves contend in vain.”

But who contends against Stupid Gods?

In the last few weeks, various aspects of the Fuctard Divine and their errand boys on Earth seem to have boiled out of the censer and run like armed and drunken otters hither and thither.

The big ones – places where humans are mown down like wheat by the trembling of the planet – are obvious. And ancient. And not to be taken lightly.

In Iraq, daily the Bush Family makes blood sacrifice on the Altar of Mars: one Child of God after another – soldier and civilian, young and old, man and woman – are shepherded into the abattoir and into the insatiable belly of the War God by its NeoCon High Priests.

The victims are herded down the Avenue of the Prince of Lies, named in honor of the another Old Immortal before which the Bush Family makes obeisance. After all, without a breathtaking concatenation of deception, the road to Baghdad would have been permanently barred, and Mars would have gone hungry. This way, both Mammon and Ares get Happy Meals made of manflesh, treasure and our international reputations.

And above it all, from New Orleans to the United States Supreme Court to the Oval Office, Hack-Ra -- the God of Arrogant, Privileged, Third-Rate Poltroons -- reigns across the land with his hand-maiden, Susej -- the hate-filled Anti-Jesus that is worshiped with such pinheaded fervor by the dribbling kinder of Falwell and Dobson.

But at least three of the lesser gods have been fighting to get a little press in recent weeks.

For starters, how to explain the letterboxed reference(s) to “Valerie Flame” by Queen Judy other than as her finally, publically copping to her own Basement Zoroastrianism. Her deep and abiding belief in the teachings of Zarathushtra, founder of one of the oldest religions extant, as well as being what may have been the first monotheistic religion.

This of course put on a collision course with “Scooter” Libby’s almost fanatical Druidism.

You didn’t know?

"It is fall now … Out West, where you vacation, the aspens will already be turning. They turn in clusters, because their roots connect them. Come back to work—and life."


C’mon! If that’s not animism, then I don’t know my Neo-Pagan codes.

And then came this about the Tom Cruise’s Crazy Spaceship Religion from the LA Times via the Chicago Tribune.

Mock them using another name
Scientology lawyers order website devoted to ridiculing Cruise to stop using domain name scienTOMogy.info.
By Scott Martelle
Times Staff Writer

October 19, 2005

Some things just aren't funny — at least to the Church of Scientology.

A New Zealand-based website that says it is devoted to "exposing Tom Cruise's moronic behavior in his relentless crusade to promote the Church of Scientology" has been ordered by church lawyers to stop using the domain name www.scienTOMogy.info.

The reason: Web surfers might confuse it with the real thing.

The site states that it has no connection with the Church of Scientologists and offers a link to the Scientology home page. Then it post links to a series of videos of Cruise talking about Scientology, including a sci-fi video parody of the actor's infamous May television appearance on "Oprah," in which he appears to electrocute her.
...

The scienTOMogy.info website has posted an exchange with Moxon & Kobrin lawyer Ava M. Paquette, which began in September, in which Paquette warned that the Church of Scientology owns the trademark to the word Scientology.

"The fact that you have changed one letter ('m' instead of 'l') does not protect you from trademark infringement," Paquette wrote before pointing out that infringing on a trademark could lead to a $100,000 fine. Paquette then demanded that the domain name be transferred to the Church of Scientology.
...


Or to paraphrase Gypsy Rose Lee, “God Is Love...but get the Domain Name.”

And you know, I’ll take ‘em all, on one condition.

All of them.

The Latter Day Saints and their absurd angel. Buddhists. Sikhs. More kinds of “Christians” that Hines has flavors. Jews, three different ones. Agnostics. Righteous atheists. Existentialists. Muslims. The Nation of Islam. Frisbeetarians. A thousand more.

I want them all making a glorious Carnival of stupidity and morality, farce and faith. I want 200 million Americans debating ethics from every angle and I want my inalienable right to mock any one or all of them without mercy protected like a sliver of the True Cross.

And all of that only happens when the Public Square is kept Scrupulously Secular.

That’s why, until the rise of the Bush Regime, the fact that the U.S. Constitution explicitly bans religious tests for public office has been honored by one Administration after another. That’s why the meaty thumb of the Federal Government needs to stay the hell off the scales.

That’s why a fastidious and heavily-armed Neutrality is the only Gospel any true lover of democracy ever wants as a State Religion.

Why this particular ramble?

Well my favorite holiday –- Halloween –- is just around the corner. It’s our dark, tamed, national Bacchanal, but it still gets me right in the Bradbury every year. The leaves are coming down in a profusion of all the colors that we never see during Spring. The air stings on the cheek, and the white rime precursor of genuine winter and death is on the ground every morning.

Carrying groceries –- now a little heavier with taters, peas, ham-hocks and other soup fixin’s -- you suddenly notice that you can see your breath. Your heel finds a small patch of paper-thin black ice and as you stumble just a bit, you remember that you have to be careful of the ground again. The odometer in your head rolls over and suddenly Summer is far away, and gauzy memories of the groaning tables of Thanksgiving and Christmas are abruptly in front of you and frisking along in your direction decked out in Brown and Red and White.

We put on masks, get goofy and try to scare ourselves, and if we don't we wish we were. We look Death respectfully in the eye and laugh. (Which reminds me, in honor of the coming day, maybe I’ll post of a nasty, little story I wrote a few years ago. Flash fiction –- less than 500 words. A little, seasonal Trick or Treat sumthin’ from me to you.)

Halloween stirs up recollections of a hundred horror stories from the years past, one of my favorite of recent vintage being Neil Gaiman’s “American Gods”. If you’ve never read it, you really should; it’s very much for adults, and perfect for this time of year. A novel that asks you to sit down and understand this country through the filter of the bloody, Old World Gods that were imported from abroad and forced to mutate and assimilated themselves into the New World.

Helluva book.

And it also led to the title of this post, and put me in a mindset to pen this strange, weaving interlude.

So the circle of life is complete...

62 comments:

Mike the Mad Biologist said...

You're right American Gods is a great book, although I liked Neverworld better. Have you managed to read Gaiman's Anasasi[sic?] Boys? (I haven't; just wondering if it's up to his usual standards).

driftglass said...

mike,
nope. been many a month since i've had time to tackle anything and my 2-b-read pile just grows and grows.
frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Very much in the same vein of Gaimanesque modern myth is Clive Barker's Abarat series. Barker is still somewhat pigeon-holed as a 'horror' novelist (in other words that's where they shelve his books at Border's), but I find he has been much more in the modern-day magical fantasy groove since WeaveWorld.

Nice blog, by the way. Your biting, acerbic wit has left me doubled over with "you go girl" guffaws on more than one occasion.

Oh, and for anyone looking for real 'horror' (in the spirit of All Hallow's Eve) check out Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted. Man, talk about gut-wrenching (literally).

Anonymous said...

DG your praise of Samhain leaves no doubt as to your affiliation. No doubt tis the season of the Reaper, many column inches and blog-pages are dedicated to the present and upcoming harvests that feed the insatiable gods, goddesses, demi-urges, demons, hell-hounds, etc.

Personally I give obeisence to the Hockey Gods, as they drink beer in great quantity and cavort with women ;-) (But the bastards still can't get the refs to call a game even-handedly)

Anonymous said...

Dark Carnival, The October Country, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Halloween Tree...all reasons why I turn to my Bradbury collection this time of year. I tried to procure some Ligotti recently, having heard rave reviews, but I have been unsuccessful thus far. Looks like I have another couple of books to add to the list.

Anonymous said...

Bush's is Phallus.

Mister Roboto said...

I relate. Nov. 1 (the "All Hallow's Day" that follows "All Hallow's Eve" or "Halloween") is my half-birthday (exactly 26 weeks after my date of birth).

Anonymous said...

Tis the season for Fear and Loathing.

Time to gnaw on some skullz!

Sweet sugary skulls...

Gettin ready for Dia de los Muertos!

Thinkin of going as a gun shot Papa Raoul, with a nasty nasty head wound (why not? I got a meerschaum, a grapefruit, Raybans, and the hairline). Just stay out of my trick-or-treat bag, unless... you really, really, wanna see those 'bats' again?

Anonymous said...

bravo. please post your fiction. love your writing.

Anonymous said...

Did you say Offal Office?

jurassicpork said...

Happy early Halloween, Drifty. Looks like the trolls are coming out early this year because I've just attracted mine and we're engaged in a war of wits. He keeps telling me that accuracy and the facts mean nothing to me yet refuses to tell me how I've erred.

Oh, yeah. He also claims that he's not pro-Bush.

Looks like I've arrived. The exchange can be found here, right above my new blog posting.

Anonymous said...

Count me in as another interested in seeing some good 'ol DG style fiction (or otherwise). As a regular rapt reader I'd sure like to read something O-rigen-ahl. I'd hate to think all that talent only worked towards the visceral vitriol. I get a sense that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Anonymous said...

Sign me up for the Driftglass Story Hour, too! (Why does Christopher Walken reading "Goodnight, Moon" suddenly come to mind?)

A friend lent me "American Gods" some months ago; a lovely read, that. It was kind of a hoot that I've driven on some of the roads and through some of the places he mentions, plus the fact that the book's climax took place in somewhat familiar surroundings. (It's been a long time since I've seen Rock City, but there are some places you just don't forget.)

Two of my favorites for late October reading: Lovecraft's "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" and R. A. Lafferty's "The Reefs of Earth".

isabelita said...

Nice tweaky post, driftglass.
Say, have you read or heard of David Mitchell's novel Cloud Atlas? It's the third one of his, following Ghostwritten and Number9Dream. Both of those were intriguing, but Cloud Atlas is a literary horror fest. Takes the current abuses of the planet to some horrific possible ends.
Halloween countdown...

Anonymous said...

Doctor like scary story. Doctor love Driftie. Doctor want Driftie tell Doctor scary story. Doctor get scared and shit his pants. Doctor send pants to Barbara Bush for keepsake.

jurassicpork said...

You guys aren't the only ones who love d r i f t g l a s s. He's worth $114, 037.08, according to these people.

Don't ask me on what they're basing these figures, aside from a mere hit count. Crooks and Liars is worth over two mil.

Me? I'm busting the bank at $23,000+. Yippee. The only consolation in all this is that msunderestimated, an Ann Coulter wannabe, is worth even less than me, so my blog's not the most worthless one on the Internet.

Unknown said...

Man there is alot of comment spam I have noticed. Is there any way to remove it from the blogs?

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a boycott cruise site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you have time :-)

Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have a fairly new website that has been online for about 8 months. I looked at alot of websites that are in my area horse pack equipment . So my wife and I thought since we love horses we should build a website around that. We have done pretty good so far but I always want to improve. I didn;t realize it would be so time consuming though. But we love it and hope to improve and offer some of the best recourses and products available. Hence the search for content new products and information about what we have. If you decide to come and visit maybe you can offer some advice That would be great. If not well you have A great new year. We hope to soon start a new site for horse adoption and rescue. Hopefully in the spring.

Thank you for your BLOG.

Regards,

horse pack equipment

Anonymous said...

Search engine optimization, submission and highly-targeted traffic can be found exclusively at www.TheOnlinePromoters.com

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Anonymous said...

I do not think I can take it anymore. I've got to tell the whole entire world. Well, at least this blog. What about? Well, about this awesome site I found about Domain hosting php. I check this one site out that presented information in the form of other sites that I would not have found otherwise through conventional search engines. So if you want more on this stuff about what is being discussed here, follow that link. You will NOT regret it.
Domain hosting php

Anonymous said...

Hey what's up, just letting you know that someone from C.A. read your blog!

Regards,
Charles
web hosting service

Anonymous said...

Just blogging for a while, found your site that also happens to be around personal web hosting, so just saying what's up.

Charles

Anonymous said...

thanks
caribbean cruise

Anonymous said...

Hi, Just browsing around for ideas for my site. (While we're at the same topic), I'm just getting started if you want to visit:
e-commerce web hosting

Charles

Anonymous said...

like the blog cruise special

Anonymous said...

Good job! Don't stop to develop your blog. Rider

Anonymous said...


nudist travel Travel Cheap! Travel Well! Outsmart The Multi-Billion Dollar Industry?

Travel Like The Rich and Famous. Discover How A Pauper Travels Like A King!

Is your travel experience measured by the limit on your credit card?
Is your family vacation yet another 2 weeks at the in-laws because they have a "pull-out" sofa?
Have you ever had to fly unexpectedly for an emergency and ended up spending the monthly food budget?

What if you could instantly have, all in one place right in front of your eyes: all the travel hot spots, unknown travel secrets and special travel industry deals? This is knowledge that would take you years to learn on your own. Travel Cheap nudist travel

Anonymous said...

what?

Anonymous said...

Good info

Anonymous said...

Great blog.

Regards,

Forex Daytrader
emini futures
http://www.daytradingcourse.com

Anonymous said...

Found your blog again and had an interesting read. If you like come and visit mine sometime small business

Anonymous said...

Good info. Thanks.

Regards,

Stock Trader
option trading tip

Anonymous said...

Great blog.

Regards,

A Stock Trader
tickquest

Anonymous said...

An interesting read...

Regards,
trading for beginner
trading for beginner

Anonymous said...

Good info. Thanks.

Regards,

ETF & Stock Trader Robert
trading tool

Anonymous said...

forex brokers - This is the way a blog site should be! Nice work. Keep going strong - David

Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my 100% free stuff no obligations site.
Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my 10 best travel destinations site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my anchorage alaska job sites site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my anchorage alaska job sites site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for American Airlines information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my stock video footage site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my adult vacations site.
Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my adult vacations site.
Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a stock price site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

Anonymous said...

Okay, lets get Blogging Everyone!!

You are welcome to come visit my website forex accounts

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my make money with income system site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my aero mexico site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my wisconsin business for sale site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a wisconsin small business loan
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a bermuda car insurance site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my business insurance quote site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my air paris travel deal site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my make money survey taking site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I read that a business plan is a structured document that is a sales pitch for your new or expanding business that you will use when attempting to obtain formal financing is this true ? I saw it on Small Business Credit Card

Anonymous said...

Hello

Hello Bloggers

Hello

Do I have your attention Yet??? Great inspirational poetry are Here Today.. Hope You Check it out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, that was worth noting. Visit us at Travel Tips

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »