Saturday, September 03, 2005

I shot an Oliphant in my pajamas.


How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Over at Gilliard’s House, I promised that if David Brooks stood up like a man and held the Bush Administration to account for its criminal incompetence twice in a row, I’d give him his propers in print, and make him a gift of a pair of long pants.

Well, he has done so – on the News Hour last night, portions of which I transcribed -- and I’m a man of my word.

And if you didn’t see it, it was one hugely weird teevee-from-an-Alternate-Universe moment.

Or maybe teevee from the golden age of Gilligan’s Island and I Dream of Jeannie...back when, if a series becalmed itself in the Horse Latitudes of tripe writing so badly that even the of the wisps of Cotton Candy that passed for plots had melted away, you could always dip into the hack screenwriter haversack One Last Time and come up with...

...everybody magically swaps personalities! And then the Hilarity Ensues!

So it was last night, with Tom Oliphant trance-channeling for Bad David Brooks and Bill Kristol...and Brooks being outright possessed by the spirit of some kinda Actual, Avenging Journalist!

(And for the record, Clarence Page was there too, and doing a good job; he seems strangely immune to the Sherwood Schwartz mind-swapping plot device.)

It was a sight to see.

Now it is a little-know fact (because I made it up) that Tom Oliphant’s dearest friend and constant companion is a gray-and-white bunny rabbit named – for reasons know only to himself and two other living human beings – Sniffy the Great.

Tom purely loves that rabbit.

So one possible explanation for his flinchy-to-the-point-of-hysterical performance on “The News Hour” last night might be that, having been worked over by White House goons before the show, Oliphant was pushed out onto the stage while Karl Rove waited in the wings with a pipe-wrench in one chubby hand and Sniffy the Great in the other, just in case Oliphant needed a tune-up.

Not to worry; Oliphant swung right into action, insistent to the point of quivering anti-"J'Accuse!"-edness that the still-unfolding nightmare down along the Gulf Coast is NOT a partisan issue.

Not, Not, Not, Not!

This is NOT a failure of the Bush Administration.

Eliding lightly over, y’know, actual facts, Oliphant squiggled around in his seat, nervously eyeing Rove off-camera (as Karl tapped poor, dear Sniffy with the business end of two-feet of galvanized steel and mouthed “Say, it bitch!”) and swore that New Orleans is a failure of all governments and all public institutions and human nature generally throughout all of history, forever and ever, amen. There is an element of fact in his thesis which was simply obliterated by his insistence on buttering blame for what has happened smoothly and evenly across the entire spacetime continuum.

Everyone is at fault...which means no one is at fault.

But it was Brooks – David Effing Brooks – who was considerably less charitable.

Here’s a link to the “News Hour” audio – the good stuff starts around timecode 1:20. Emphasis added by me, and all the stuff I have transcribed was said by Brooks except where otherwise indicated.

First, there was a bit of a history lesson about past American floods/disasters and how they changed the political landscape.

Then...


Timecode - 1:20

...(in) moments of extremis (?) people see the power inequalities, the poor suffering, the rich benefiting, and then they react, and so you get these political reactions.

HOST: And OK, now move it to Hurricane Katrina...

BROOKS: I just think it’s a huge reaction we’re about to see. First of all, they violated the social fabric which is, in the moments of crisis, you take care of the poor first. That didn’t happen. It’s like leaving wounded on the battlefield.

...in 9/11, you had a great surge in public confidence. Now I think we’re going to see a great decline in public confidence in our institutions. And so I just think this is the ant-9/11, as one of the bloggers writes.

Timecode - 5:25..

First, of all it’s a national humiliation to see bodies floating in a river for five days in a major American city. But second, you have to remember that this was s delegitimization of institutions. Our institutions completely failed us. And it’s not as if this is the first time (?) in the last three years.

This follows Abu Ghraib, the failure of planning in Iraq, the intelligence failures, the corporate scandals, the media scandals. We’ve had over the past four or five years a whole series of scandals which have soured the public mood. You’ve (?) seen a rise in the feeling that the country’s headed in the wrong direction and I think this is the biggest one. The bursting one. And I must say, personally, it’s the one that really says, “Hey, it feels like the 70’s now.” Where you really have a loss of faith in institutions.

Let’s get out of this mess.

I really think this is so important (as) a cultural moment, like the blackouts of 1977. Its just...people are sick of it.

Timecode - 9:25.

...but to reiterate the point I made earlier, which is this is the anti-9/11.

Just in terms of public confidence. When 9/11 happened, Giuliani, was right there. And just as a public presence, he was forceful. No public presence like that now.

So you had a surge of strength; people felt good about the country even though we’d been hit on 9/11. Now we’ve been hit again in a different way (and) people feel lousy. People feel ashamed. And in part that it because of the public presentation. In part that is because of the failure of Bush to understand immediately the shame people felt.

Sitting up there on the airplane and looking out the window? That was terrible!

And the three days of doing nothing, really, on Bush was terrible.

Even today, I found myself -- and as you know, I support his policies quite often – (but I) look at him today, and earlier in the program...this is how Mark Shields must feel looking at them. I’m angry at the guy, and maybe it’ll pass for me, but a lot of people, and a lot of Republicans, uh, are furious right now.

(Shortly thereafter Oliphant pipes helpfully up with his explanation of how “deeply implicated Democrats are” and how there is “no partisan responsibility here.”)

Timecode - 14:00

...it’s not a tipping point. It’s like a bursting point. People are going to go off in all directions. Just in narrow political terms, a month ago, Rudy Giuliani would have had trouble getting the Republican nomination. Now he could win is a walk if the primary were held soon.

Then on the Democratic side you’re going to see people like John Edwards talking (?) about poverty, which he had been talking about. You’re going to see people all around the country talking about poverty.

To be crystal clear, Brooks is comparing the serial failures of this Administration to “the 70’s”, because he cannot bear to shape his mouth to form the words “Watergate” and “Vietnam" and "Bush" in the same oration.

And Brooks takes the government to task for its behavior over the last four or five years: In other words the government of the United State has been a clusterfucking menace to the rest of Civilization since the day George Bush was sworn into office.

I myself would extend that timeline back into the heart of the reckless, berzerker Kill Bill movement that ended in the impeachment of Clinton at the hands of the same wretched, heartless, irresponsible bastards whose policies Brooks is otherwise so sanguine about.

Which also makes one pause to ask, when Brooks mentions as an aside, that, “I support his policies quite often --”... just what policies he could possibly be talking about?

As he lists the failures and scandals of the Bush White House -- “Abu Ghraib, the failure of planning in Iraq, the intelligence failures, the corporate scandals, the media scandals” – one might fairly ask, if you throw in a general fuck-the-poor mentality, an attempted evisceration of Social Security, outing and active CIA agent for personal pique, the no-bid looting of the Iraqi and American treasure-houses and the hands of the Vice President’s cronies...

...what else is there?

Plundering the planet, tax cuts for billionaires in the face of war, natural disaster and record deficits, and burning the last vestiges of a strong federal government to the ground to pave the way for Big Business and Big Religion to run amok...Brooksie mon ami, those are the policies.

That is the plan.

However, for the moment these are quibbles. And, as my mother always told me, never rake leaves in a glue-suit during a tornado, never get involved in a land war in Asia, and do not interrupt David Brooks while he is having what looks an awful lot like a Walter Cronkite/Tet Epiphany.

So I now officially retract 4% of what I have written about Brooks in the past. And, yes, if he were on fire, I now would whiz on him to put it out.

And not to worry: Sniffy was returned to Tom later that evening.

As of this writing, Oliphant and rabbit are both doing fine.

53 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm sorry to hear that about Tom. I thought he would be a ragin' cajun in all this.

Instead, he's doing a...Bill Clinton, and joining in on all the bi-partisan hand-wringing.

"No finger pointing, now....just because we spent years, and close to that $71 million that junior took from the castrated New Orleans Corps of Engineers flood control plan (to help Ahmed Chalabi, etc., bring "freedom and democracy" to Iraq) to check out Bill Clinton's foreskin for evidence of extra-marital DNA, that doesn't mean you guys get to ask us questions about how far would one week's worth of Iraq---$ONE BILLION DOLLARS---have gone toward preventing the worst natural disaster we've had in decades.

Anonymous said...

Gen. Honore was quoted today as saying, "We're not stuck on stupid."

Too early to say if Brooks is unstuck. He might just slam it into reverse and drive right back into the mudhole. It's gonna take a few more like this to convince me that he has achieved escape velocity from Planet Moron.

darrelplant said...

I'm kind of glad I didn't see that. Tom's twitchiness and Brooks's lizard lickiness (even if he was saying the right things for a change) on the same panel would be too much for me.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy. I couldn't make 'em any harsher, because I would have gone over the edge into incoherency. Do what you will, put 'em up, make bumper stickers, alter them, or ignore 'em as my own little therapy.

Website banner size

Bumper sticker size

Anonymous said...

(Upper West)

Pigs have flown. Let's hope they remain airborne.

That's astounding coming from Brooks. And as for Oliphant -- as for not being "political" -- has he even heard about Michael Brown's grossly political appointment -- someone with no experience in that critical job, and failure at his previous endeavors?

Anonymous said...

Can you make the Bumper stickers with the pics of Condi Rice Show Hopping and Shoe Shopping in NYC.

How about the ones with Cheney flyfishing in Utah?

Anonymous said...

He's angry now, but I'm sure it won't take him too long to get over it.

But we must remember . . . baby-steps, baby-steps.

res ipsa loquitur said...

driftglass ... Bobo has obviously had a brain transplant. The first evidence came with this column. Today, there is this column, which, combined with the "Newshour" appearance, is evidence that his body is not (yet) rejecting the transplant. He needs to be monitored going forward. Such operations are, as you know, quite delicate.

As for Oliphant, perhaps he had a brain transplant, too. They gave him Mary Landrieu's brain from when she did that interview with Anderson Cooper.

Anonymous said...

Cronkite's Tet moment? You mean, how the Tet offensive was a miserable failure for the Viet Cong, and yet Cronkite used his position to spin it as a win? Jeez.

Anonymous said...

I can't look for pics of them right now, I've got a toothache that just won't quit... gotta lie down. -_-;

I also put white-background versions on my site as well, so they don't eat up as much ink.

I'll muck with 'em later.

Anonymous said...

"Lame-as-the-day-is-long Tom Oliphant"

Sigh. I've liked him for a while, he seemed so refreshingly aware next to the mentally sclerotic Mark Sheilds. Plus, on the Frankin show he's so *entertaining*

Just another Ho. First Rey Suarez gives in to the dark force, then I learn that Oliphant is really just another Ho.

Bummer.

Anonymous said...

What's even more depressing is that these 'Hos' are human beings like you and me, and probably the reason they're doing this is because they strongly believe that the system is fair, that things really are going as best as they possibly could, that we are living in the best country in the world for human and economic rights and opportunities, and that sunshine did, indeed, flow like water out Ronald Regan's ass.

The fact that they are completely and thoroughly deluded does not enter into the equation at all.

Civic Center said...

Save your piss for a more worthy burning man. As you rightly point out earlier in your post, "just what [Bush] policies could Brooks be talking about?" that he agrees with?

Anonymous said...

FUN COMMENTARIES GUYS AND GALS. FIRST TIME BEEN TO THIS SITE AND CAME TO SEE BROOKS ON LEHRER. A REMARKABLE MOMENT. I HADN'T SEEN OLIPHANT FOR A LONG TIME AND WAS ALMOST EQUALLY SHOCKED BY HIS WHIMPY COMMENTARY. HE USED TO HINT AT HAVING ONE TESTICAL.

Anonymous said...

Good article.

It amazes me that it took a national disasater like this to wake the sleeping corpes in the media. From Newshour to Fox News - of all places - reporters (little "r") have earned back the title of Reporter (big "r")...but some of them still really suck.

My bet is that we will cease to hear about the affected Gulf Coast by October as the Supreme Court hearings for the nominees gets into full swing. Sad but true.

Anonymous said...

Friedman is doing high fives with Brooks as they take a brief recess from pressing their noses to the seats of power. They have made their careers by this method and they will nontinue to do so, no matter who comes to power.

Anonymous said...

Sean Hannity sucks Newt Gingrich whilst New Orleans is flooded.

Unknown said...

Man there is alot of comment spam I have noticed. Is there any way to remove it from the blogs?

Anonymous said...

GROW IT YOURSELF!

Anonymous said...

Are you sick of standing in line for Holiday purchases? Now you dont have to and you can save 20%. We just reduced our prices 20% in celebration of the holidays. Choose from Electronics, Clothes, Kitchen Items, Beautiful Jewelry, Toys, Watches and more. Over 15000 items to choose from all at reduced prices.

http://www.worldgifthaven.com

visa gift card

Anonymous said...

Running late, but had to post. Was searching for baby shower nursery rhyme game sites and found your site. Anyway, not exactly what I was looking for, but good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I was surfing Google or MSN, bookmarked your blog, and just came back. Nice job. I had been in search of car loan oakland, but found your site. Just thought I'd post. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

J'ai �galement un emplacement sur le mot-cl� cheap wedding decorations pas aussi bien remont�s en tant que v�tre.Toodle-oo, Sid cheap wedding decorations

Anonymous said...

Hi. Great site. I know there are plenty of people who appreciate the fly fishing equipment support they get here. I have to say that your site is one of the better ones I've seen.

fly fishing equipment

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I went to blogger and searched for free electronics and got your blog.
Not really targeted the results !!
Anyone knows where to find blogs on free electronics ?
Thanks

Alex

Anonymous said...

Good reference for me I must say :)

baby sleep pattern

Anonymous said...

Hi. Great site you've got here! This may interest some people. I was looking for fly fishing pics and stumbled accross this site - fly fishing. Quite impressive pics of trout, but not really the scenery I was looking for. Anyone know where I can find some more actual fly fishing, open country type images?

Anonymous said...

Hi. Great site. I'm always looking for fly fishing for trout info and sites to recommend to my visitors and I have to say that yours is one of the better ones. Out of time, I'll post again soon.
fly fishing for trout

Anonymous said...

Hey how are you doing? just letting you know that someone from Central America read your blog!
This is my site:
mortgage home equity loan apply online
Regards,
Charles

Anonymous said...

Hey what's up, just letting you know that someone from C.A. read your blog!

Regards,
Charles
refinancing va mortgage

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great comments and insights..By the way, are you looking for more information on natural color diamond jewelry ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to natural color diamond jewelry with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...http://www.aphroditesaccessories.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great comments and insights..By the way, are you looking for more information on Old World Kitchen Design ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to flowers and Old World Kitchen Design with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...http://www.floridakitchendesigns.com

Anonymous said...

Wow! While I was searching for info on wedding planning kansas city I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wedding planning kansas city. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about wedding planning kansas city.

Anonymous said...

Hello

Nice site you have here. Happy to have come across it. Great content.
Keep on blogging---I'll be back.

Bye for now,
keyword

Anonymous said...

Hi just checking out blogs and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some of the ideas are a little much and some are right on the money. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam but if you don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... I also have some of the most informative sites on yoga and baby gifts and baby showersbuilding. Hope you enjoy Thank you for your time.wedding favor ideas

wedding favor ideas

Anonymous said...

Hi just checking out blogs and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some of the ideas are a little much and some are right on the money. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam but if you don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... I also have some of the most informative sites on yoga and baby gifts and baby showersbuilding. Hope you enjoy Thank you for your time.wedding bridal veils

wedding bridal veils

Anonymous said...

Hi there friend You have a real ice Blog Here
why not visit my blog and post your plastic surgery mexico link and also visit my website at http://www.medicare-cosmetic-surgery.com plastic surgery mexico

Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. When searching for belly ring, I happened to come across your site. I'll bookmark it. Perhaps you would be interested in my site, belly ring

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Anonymous said...

If you have a dog, or your readers, here's some great free stuff for your pets...

Anonymous said...

where i get more info?

Anonymous said...

If you have a dog, or your readers, here's some great free stuff for your pets...

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, you seem to have a very well put together blog here!

Regards,
Disposable Camera

Anonymous said...

Blogging does not always widen my mental spectrum, which I need to do as a break from my own real estate work. We need more colorful blogs. Thanks for the read. Visit my site if you have a chance.

Anonymous said...

Blogging is a hit or miss trip ... usually a miss ... but I did enjoy reading your blog, which I put in the 'hit' category. Thanks for look. Stop by my site if you can.

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my used car tacoma site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

Bloggers and Others

I found a great site on setting goals. It is located at http://purposesetting.com/sitemap_1.html.

Anonymous said...

home builder floridaBloggers

Looking for home builder florida at http://doityourselfpro.com/. Well I recomend This Site. Maybe your asking who am I.... Well Im not Who you think I am. If you need help with home builder florida Then GO NOW

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm back to check your blog again and you just keep the great posts coming! Do you know of any great websites that sell baby shower centerpiece. I've seen a few good ones but I think www.diapergifts.com make the best I have seen. You have got a great blog and I will be back to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Learn The Secret Today

Find The secret to the secret at http://loans4bills.com/. If you want to find out how you can get mortgage loans st louis help visit us

Anonymous said...

It's smart to shop with the best card The buyright prepaid mastercard think.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! approval process by insurers for continuous motion therapy Chat amateur free nude web cams Rhinoplasty opinions top choices on dishwashers Alliance ppo insurance Game room carpet Concerta mood swings Foremost insurance company of michigan

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »