Monday, August 15, 2005

“In waking a tiger, use a long stick…



“…of double-good, double-fresh, DoubleMint gum!” -- Mao Tse-Tung

This from the Asian Times.

A billion jaws chewing
By Todd Crowell

The Guangdong Fanyu Candy Co, the once-prosperous maker of Yiqing chewing gum and Dada bubble gum, folded its operations in 2002. Why? Because the company could not compete with the famous gum that comes in the little green package. Since 2000, the Wm Wrigley Jr Co, the world's largest maker and marketer of chewing gum, has quietly become the dominant player in the Chinese market.

It may be that no other American product, save perhaps Coca-Cola, is as widely available and ubiquitous in China as Doublemint gum. The company has extended its reach into almost every corner of the country. In fact, Wrigley has probably the widest distribution and sales network of any food manufacturing and consumer packaging company in China, with a staggering one million sales outlets - 30,000 in Shanghai alone. Wrigley's share of China's chewing gum market is an astounding 60%. Although the company has competitors - primarily South Korea's Lotte and Italian company Perfetti Van Melle - no other gum company, foreign or domestic, comes close to Wrigley's market share or sales volume.

....

In recognition of Wrigley's unassailable position in China, Spanish food conglomerate Agrolimen last year sold its Joyco confectionery division's operations in China and India and several other countries to Wrigley for 220 million euros (US$274 million). Joyco had established the joint venture with Guangdong Fanyu Candy Co that went broke in 2002. But it was still the leading seller of bubble gum and lollipops in China. As part of this deal, Wrigley ended up with Cafosa, Joyco's chewing and bubble gum base business.


Fighting the Singapore gum ban
Wrigley's is slowly working its way back into Singapore after having been shut out, along with every other gum maker, after the island country famously banned the import and sale of chewing gum for sanitary reasons in 1992. The company was deeply involved in the negotiations leading to the city-state's 2003 Free Trade Agreement with the United States. Two issues dominated the negotiations: Singapore's participation in the Iraq coalition, and chewing gum. Of the two, gum was the stickiest.

Somewhat grudgingly, Singapore compromised, agreeing to allow the importation and sale of what it called "therapeutic" gum. "They were tough," said former Congressman Philip Crane of Illinois, who was involved in the negotiations.

At the moment, Wrigley's gum can only be bought through a licensed pharmacist, and the buyer must provide his name and identity card number. In Singapore, chewing gum is still very much a controlled substance.


Singapore should surrender now and sue for peace

Why?

Because the Wrigley Company also owns the Chicago Cubs, the losingest baseball team in the history of losing teams. Every year they find a new way to break their fan’s hearts, and yet year after year, decade after decade, rain, shine or snow, they pack Wrigley Field to capacity. While at the other end of town a certain other Major League team -- with what is objectively a much better record – plays in an ugly park to rows half-empty seats.

The Wrigley Company know marketing, baby!

The Wrigley Company knows how to fight a twilight struggle over the course of a century, and lose every damn battle, and yet still somehow win.

And most of all, the Wrigley Company knows that this is a Political Battle, and as Mao said:

“Political power grows out of a...

...stick of double-good, double-fresh, DoubleMint gum.”

36 comments:

jurassicpork said...

I feel your pain, Drifty, re the Cubs. Why, my Red Sox... Wait a minute, no I don't!

Bwa haaaaaaaaaaaa!

Anonymous said...

"Everybody have fun tonight, (everybody have fun tonight), Everybody Guangdong tonight..."

Stuck in the '80s, MftI

Anonymous said...

Honestly--I went to school with a guy named Peter Wang. As Dave Barry would say, I am NOT making this up.--MftI

Eli said...

I thought it kinda looked like maybe Chairman Mao had lost a contact there...

Eli said...

Oh, and the owner of a summer camp I went to was named wacker, and I sweartagod he named his kid Richard.

I googled "Richard Wacker" out of curiosity once, and got far more different hits than would be possible if there were a God.

Anonymous said...

The strict controls by the Singaporean government on something so mundane as chewing gum -do- seem silly.

On the other hand, I came back from Singapore, and, wouldn't you know it, within a week of arriving home in the States, I had the classic experience of having to scrape someone else's discarded gum wad out of the floor mat of my car, whence it had been carried on my shoe. And then was compelled to go repeat that operation on the shoe itself.

Ugh.

Here's the marquer proposal for Gum Control: sell 'em all they want. Log the amount. Compel them to check it back in later on, in a sanitary bag. If they fail to do so, cane their asses raw, Singers style.

--

Anonymous said...

Actually, the Wrigleys sold the Cubs to the company that owns the Chicago Tribune and WGN TV and radio in about 1980.

driftglass said...

anon,
My error; you are quite correct. But by that time the critical mass had been reached and the Field and Team were stuck to the city like...some sticky substance that one might find...on the sidewalk.

Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed

Anonymous said...

Hello there, I was recently doing a search through blogs for the phrase home base business idea. I happened to come across yours even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I still decided to read your blog a bit, and I just wanted to say that you have a good thing going here. Anyway, I've only just recently started a home base business idea website, and I'm searching blogs trying to find ideas. Feel free to visit the site when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, Eric.

Anonymous said...

Join the 3 Marketeers Club today, its Absolutely FREE!!

Anonymous said...

Great! … Keep-up the good work!
Something of interest to all:
home based mlm business opportunity

Anonymous said...

Hi

I've created a new resource for christian baby name meaning you can with lots of information and links related to christian baby name meaning
Now I've finished I thought I look around for other christian baby name meaning sites and see what everyone else is talking about, you know get ome more christian baby name meaning ideas etc...
This blog looks pretty good, though I'm not sure my christian baby name meaning site will get this many visitors - ah well, can only but try ;)
If you have a spare moment please visit my christian baby name meaning site and let me know what you think, I'll check back here again later.

Bye
Steward

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Have a great 2006daily devotionalhttp://tinyurl.com/72w9daily devotional

Anonymous said...

Ever wish you could surf all day. I wish I could. I can only say you ahve a great blog and take off. Want to find a foreign car part site sometime today. Again, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on work from home jobs I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on work from home jobs and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the work from home jobs related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

It's time to take charge of your future and independence by having your own business!

Anonymous said...

Projects..Projects..Projects.. If you are like me it seems like there is never enough time in the day.. You get home late and leave early.. then the weekends thats another story by itself. My wife has found it easier to hire somebody if you we need help with remodeling home loans. She fond a great site for remodeling home loans at http://2rcs.com and wanted to share it with you.. Im glad to find help when I need it..

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger,

I�m writing to ask U if I could duplicate the info/idea U published on Ur blog, on to my internetblog... I think it�s a fantastic idea!! I look forward to hearing from U...

Best Wishes,
product online big money earn

Anonymous said...

My biggest problem is now that my children are grown, they want to start their own home business. I have definitely passed on this passion to the next generation.

Enjoyed reading your post.

work at home business opportunities

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
loved your blog, keep up the good work.

We are not a great match forpublish your e book but I sure enjoyed the read.

I will book mark you for areturn visit

joe
publish your e book

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I was just browsing around looking for info onHow to create an e book when I landed on your site, we dont match but I enjoyed the visit, so thanks for the read.
If you get the time pop over and see my site you will get some software just for visiting

joe

How to create an e book

Anonymous said...

I just read your blog, � very nice.
I made myself a blog, I have a irish baby name pronunciation site. It pretty much covers irish baby name pronunciation related stuff. Check it

out if you have the time :)

Anonymous said...

a great opportunity, no selling, no phoning, no recruiting PERIOD!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the the detail and info on this site. Good read!

I have a site that you are welcome to come and see at http://www.surveyearn.biz/PaidSurveys/Work_at_home.html it is about at home work

Anonymous said...

First Class!
- http://www.surveyearn.biz/PaidSurveys/Work_at_home.html - free work at home

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my amazon as employer blog site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a bartender job listings new jersey site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a affordable family vacations to phoenix
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a affordable family vacations to phoenix
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a affordable family vacations to phoenix
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following covers blog, it is cool to!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much
BlackSEO

Anonymous said...

FORGET FOREX E-BOOKS! They suck...plain and simple. Get the software that tells you what to do and WHEN to do it and finally start earning the big bucks you truly deserve. Besides what do you have to loose? They have a full 58 days refund policy in place! Download The "Forex-Killer" Now !!