Thursday, July 14, 2005

Are you the Vati-Can?



Or are you the Vati-Can’t?

I guess we can count our blessings that the Big Hat Church no longer thinks it can get away with actually burning witches, just ‘cause it says so in the Bible.

And that it can’t stone people to death for a whole catalog of peccadilloes, misdemeanors and accidentally grabbing the wrong stuff in the buffet line, just because their Operating Manual says its cool.

Or that they can’t also order up mass murder for trivia as easily as take-out pizza – repeatedly – as in this little gem from Deuteronomy:

“ Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him."

Just fucking delightful.

And in case you were wondering why we free-thinkers think the Modern GOP needs to be driven into the electoral sea, it is because this kind of charnel-house vision of Righteousness is part and parcel of the Glorious Future that Christopaths have all planned out for me and you.

That being said, here’s this from the Times Online:


Harry Potter and the Vatican enforcer

BY JACK MALVERN

Pope condemned ‘subtle seduction’ of tales of wizardry
HARRY POTTER has come under attack from soul-sucking dementors and basilisks, but he faces his most formidable adversary yet in the form of the Pope.
A letter written by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, before he was elected Pope in April, condemns the boy wizard as a potentially corrupting influence on children.

The Cardinal, then the late Pope John Paul II’s “enforcer” as Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, revealed his views in a letter to the author of Harry Potter — Good or Evil?, a book published in Germany. The Cardinal appeared to sympathise with Gabriele Kuby’s thesis that Harry Potter corrupts the young, distorting their understanding of the battle between good and evil. “It is good that you enlighten people about Harry Potter because those are subtle seductions, which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul before it can grow properly,” he wrote.


As opposed to those more overt things that can distort the worldview of a young Christian such as, say, his parish priest raping him and them telling him God approved it and he’ll burn in Hell forever is he tells anyone?

OK, here’s the deal.

How about the Church that brought you Father Fondler McBusyhands, Cardinal Coverup and Archbishop Fuggeddaboudit lays off opining on the subject of what will or will not corrupt children for, oh, about the next century or two?

And how about the Church that spent itself into the poorhouse – including the plundering of the poorbox – bribing and intimidating witnesses as gleefully as any Cosa Nostra arm-bender…the Church that spirited the child-molesting scum of the Earth away to the 13th Century security of Vatican where they frolic safe and free and shielded from criminal charges…

…how about that Church swears off using anything that sounds as grotesquely creepy coming out of the Pope’s transubstantiation hole as the phrase, “subtle seductions” forever.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh marvelous! Another step closer to the unholy union with the Talibornagain who currently dominate my particular geographic patch.

Co-workers are on the alert against the "demonic" and "satanic" and "immoral" Harry Potter that apparently is arriving in bookstores this week.

Frankly, I asked what the problem was since in the bit I know about them *good* always wins the day. Shouldn't that tell their lil' darlin' that the *Godly way is the right way!" Ooops, my bad. Seems that old Harry and friends don't call on Christ to banish evil.

Good news though! The minister's bride in the next cubicle assures me that there is a *Christian* series that is "similar" coming out soon. Being an ass, but a well read add, I said: "Isn't that either the Lord of the Rings or even the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe? Seems those are "okaaaay..." (read: do in a pinch) but its "better to have specifically Christian books so there is no confusion."

NOW>>>>what really entertains me here is that until about 3 years ago, our Bride of the Southern Baptist Minister and all her lunch pals regularly and openly talked of anyone not *born again!" as being damned. And, specifically most mainline Protestants and ALL Catholics. Seems that politics makes strange bedfellows indeed.

But, come the revolution and these folks are finally in charge? Good luck to all of us who are not exactly what they want us to be.

Yeah Benedict, worry about that "mote" in my eye and ignore that big old pederastic "beam" in your own....

Anonymous said...

Note that the Bible only calls for the destruction of the nonbelievers' livestock. Not their pets. Definitely not their dogs.

-Sen. Rick Santorum

Anonymous said...

So many people have died in the name of Christ, that I can't believe it all...

-Graham Nash


Between the Christopathic Talibornagains and the GOP the amount of psychological projection will continue to increase exponentially until their whole paradigm implodes.

Robert Pirsig, in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance made the point that fanatics arise in response to the schism between reality and their beloved paradigm. He pointed out that nobody ever walks around with a sign saying "the sun will rise tomorrow" because we all know that the Earth keeps rotating around it's axis, etc. But when something is in doubt, folks literally flip out. So recognizing the flip-out, the most compassionate thing to do would be to give out thorazine to those so afflicted.

Anonymous said...

Drift, that's good ammo.


What's the verse?

Mike the Mad Biologist said...

Does Harry Potter live in Boston?

Anonymous said...

Come on Drifty, you know you have to respect good ol' christianity for all the good it has done for the world.

Don't you?

Ok, maybe not.

Nice rant Driftglass. Well put together and frankly, if it weren't anon's santorum post above (which was delightful) I would have said that Archibishop Fuggedaboutit was my favorite part.

driftglass said...

tanbark,
Deut 13; 13-19.

& I gotta go now. I hear tell that the residents of Gary, IN have started worshipping false gods & I've called in an airstrike.

Sen. Santorum,
We are both honored and horrified by your visit.

Anonymous said...

"Don't forget--the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith used to be called the Inquisition."

"Well, I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition."

"NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!"

The Acting Deputy Minister of Silly Walks, Monster from the Id

Anonymous said...

We need moral lessons on human sexuality from ANY of the Abrahamic faiths about as much as we need speech lessons from Elmer Fudd!

Wespectfuwwy youuhs, Monsta fwom the Id

Mr. Natural said...

GOOD STUFF...GO GET 'EM DRIFTIE! This newest poopypope looks like just the ticket for the New World Order gang, dosen't he?

jurassicpork said...

Yipes! Fucking guy looks like a constipated Garbage Pail Zell Miller, doesn't he?

Drifty, I'd be honored if you would blogroll me on your site. If you read my stuff, I don't think I'd compromise your obviously high writing standards. You could call it the Dirty Baker's Dozen.

Anonymous said...

Who'll listen to the New Pope anyway????????, When he seemingly protects pedophile priests????????????????.

Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed

Anonymous said...

This has got to be the greatest time of the year. Your read hits the mood of my family and we wish there were more like it. I have been looking for the best Christmas sites for toys and gifts. With a new born baby items are high priority for us. And let me not forget that a diamond or many diamonds are a woman's best friend.

Anonymous said...

I was out searching for some best online dating site related information when I landed on your page. you have some good stuff here. your blog wasn't exactly what I was looking for i enjoyed the read, thanks. I'll continue on looking for best online dating site, see you again sometime.

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my adult entertainment awards site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my undressing games site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my turbo tank - lego site.
Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my travel blogs site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my toys r us baby california site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my toys baby dolls site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

inspirational poetry If You want to see something great about inspirational poetry then you have got to visit http://lifegoalsetting.com/1/index.html

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm back to check your blog again and you just keep the great posts coming! Do you know of any great websites that sell baby shower centerpiece. I've seen a few good ones but I think www.diapergifts.com make the best I have seen. You have got a great blog and I will be back to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm back to check your blog again and you just keep the great posts coming! Do you know of any great websites that sell diaper cake. I've seen a few good ones but I think www.diapergifts.com make the best I have seen. You have got a great blog and I will be back to check it out.