Monday, June 06, 2005

Even seen from 30,000 feet…



…I can’t pass as a journalist


The brief journey West ends, and I get back to the land of the wired only to discover this pie-faced critter still has a j-o-b that pays better than the guy who cleans up scuff marks in the Phoenix Sky Harbor men's room using a tennis ball on a broomstick.

And I find that…irritating

Life Lessons From Watergate

By DAVID BROOKS
Published: June 5, 2005

The most interesting part of this Deep Throat business is Bob Woodward's description, in Thursday's Washington Post, of the state he was in when he met Mark Felt. He had graduated from Yale and was finishing a tour in the Navy, but he had no idea of what he wanted to do with his life. He was plagued by "angst and a sense of drift," and stricken by "considerable anxiety."

...

Places like Washington and New York attract large numbers of ambitious young people who have spent their short lives engaged in highly structured striving: getting good grades, getting into college.
...

Their elders tell them to take their time and explore, advice that is of absolutely no comfort. Failure seems but a step away. Loneliness hovers. They often feel stunted and restless (I haven't moved up in six months!), so they adopt a conversational mode - ironic, self-deprecatory, postpubescent fatalism - that masks their anxiety about falling behind.
...

They are learning important lessons - for example, that the more successful a person is, the higher dose of daily flattery he or she needs to maintain psychic equilibrium - but they still don't see their own route to the top.

They find that the people who used to be just friends are now competitors in the frantic scramble, and the standard by which they measure their own climb. That loser who watched TV in dark rooms through college is now making a fortune writing screenplays.

Entering the world of the Higher Shamelessness, they begin networking like mad, cultivating the fine art of false modesty and calculated friendships. The most nakedly ambitious - the blogging Junior Lippmanns - rarely win in the long run, but that doesn't mean you can't mass e-mail your essays for obscure online sites with little "Thought you might be interested" notes.

...

For that is the purpose of Watergate in today's culture. It isn't about Nixon and the cover-up anymore. It's about Woodward and Bernstein. Watergate has become a modern Horatio Alger story, a real-life fairy tale, an inspiring ode for mediacentric college types…

First, I worry about BoBo writing to the young ‘uns and how (he seems to infer) talent perhaps takes a back-seat or at least rides in the side-car well abaft of “Entering the world of the Higher Shamelessness, they begin networking like mad, cultivating the fine art of false modesty and calculated friendships.”

Or as the grave and gravel-voiced announcer of every wannabe blockbuster movie puts it, “In a world...”

In a world where you stand atop the highest peak that journalism has to offer and shout to the world with every word, every inflection, “I am Mediocrity Incarnate”, is this perhaps BoBo’s veiled and piteous cry for help? A plea for some sort of journalistic intervention, to help this poor artless, craftless stooge for the Right Wing break free of the Golden Diaper that writing for the NYT has so obviously become so that he might move on with a more fitting and appropriate pursuit such as, say, grooming Bill Kristol and Bill Buckley like a theta male gibbon?

Is this just more embarrassing projection?

More terror the likes of which haunts talentless second-rater and approbation-junkie Peter Keating in “The Fountainhead?” given give hackneyed voice yet again?

Does it, finally, make him “Tell Tale Heart” nervous ---

(Aside...“ but why will you say that I am mad? My complete lack of even a basic aptitude for journalism had sharpened my may value to the NYT — not destroyed — not dulled it. Above all was the sense of ass-kissing acute. I kissed the brown-eye of all things in the heaven and in the earth. I bung-smooched many things in hell. How, then, am I mad? Harken! and observe how gassily — how literarily club-footedly I can completely fuck up and deliberately miss the central point of the whole story.”)

--- knowing that the stubble Paul Krugman taps out of his razor after pruning the chin topiary for prime time appearances has more literary gift and honest craft than he.

And second, well lookey, lookey and see what the King of Killdeer media is trying to do. Badly.

“The most interesting part of this Deep Throat business is Bob Woodward's description, in Thursday's Washington Post, of the state he was in when he met Mark Felt.”
And

“For that is the purpose of Watergate in today's culture. It isn't about Nixon and the cover-up anymore.”
No, you fierce little decoy: It is about Nixon.

It is about the cover-up and all President’s Horses and all The President’s Men are desperately trying to make it otherwise.

Like leftover Cold War doomsday weapons, the gallery of Nixon-era ex-con thugs and liars and hacks are still ticking away. Still leaching their toxins into the watershed. Still spinning Nixon’s rotting corpse as they spun his morally rotting Administration while the Monster President shambled across the face of the Earth.

Nixon was a criminal of epic, Shakespearian proportion; the very lowest, most grotesquely mutant form of that uniquely American brand of Star Spangled Fascist impulse that is the engine that drives the Right Wing. That iron-flavored and jackboot-shod love of political Authoritarianism which, in this case, brought this country closer to tanks in the streets and martial law than any Presidency in history.

He was in every way the anti-American, and his power-crapulent henchmen and whores still bay and bark that No! NO! MacBeth was the fucking Victim and Hero here and MacDuff and the rest of the men who brought him down were the Villians.

Scumbags. Always were; always gonna be.

BoBo, I suspect, has another motive.

After all, what would become of hollow piñata “journalists” like him if the public ever got the scent of real NEWS back in its nose again? I mean Nixon was at least a criminal genius who took pains to hide his crimes. But this “Flowers For Algernon” Bush Administration relies heavily on pandering, prophylactic sponges like Brooks to safely soak up the scrutiny by passing as reporters, and relentlessly steer the countries eyes away from its many scandals and treasons.

And where would Bush and his orcs and Brooks and his fellow maundering drivel-jockeys be if the people ever woke up and remembered that it wasn’t always this way?

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, bro. And wouldn't the world be a better place if every journalist has to pass an exam proving that he had read and understood the entire oeuvre of Sinclair Lewis? Just so that he/she would recognize the various Babbits and Gantrys as they came doown the pike?

And, parenthetically, wouldn't you love to open tomorrow's paper and see the following sentence:

"The reporters gasped collectively as the President lurched into the press room, taking a long, thirsty slug from a plastic jug of drugstore vodka."

Yeah, me too.

Mister Roboto said...

And where would Bush and his orcs and Brooks and his fellow maundering drivel-jockeys be if the people ever woke up and remembered that it wasn’t always this way?

In a Federal penitentiary, more likely than not.

Welcome back, Uncle Drift. We missed y'all!

Anonymous said...

Ah a little bo-bo roasting over the fire to warm my little handsies!!

driftglass said...

Missed you all as well.

Anonymous said...

I love packer flowers
, check out this other great site
packer flowers

Unknown said...

Man there is alot of comment spam I have noticed. Is there any way to remove it from the blogs?

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roberto Iza Valdes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roberto Iza Valdes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great comments and insights..By the way, are you looking for more information on flower delivery san jose california ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to flowers and flower delivery san jose california with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...www.cleosfloral.com

Anonymous said...

It's time to take charge of your future and independence by having your own business!

Anonymous said...

One of the better results I saw from my fasting experience was that I have more self control over my eating habits. I have always been a binge type of eater. After my fast, I felt like I could restrain myself easier. It is proberbly a mental attribute. I mean I can go without eating for 7 days then I sure can keep myself from eating something I shouldn't.
Link to this site. 30 day loss plan weight

Anonymous said...

Withdrawal effects may occur if Temazepam is stopped suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. Seizures may be a side effect of sudden discontinuation of the medication. Your doctor may recommend a gradual reduction in dose

Anonymous said...

Our network has been looking for a Gifts business like yours to list in our World Directory & our forum.

Hey, there is no cost and it will only take a few minutes for you to register!

Your Silver Fox Business Building Team

We Generate $1,000 A Day Using These F r e e Business Building Tools For Our Business & We Will Teach You How You Can Do The Same For Your Gifts Business!

List Your Gifts Business Now!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I've been googling for blogs on nutrition and came across your site.

I have a new site that I'm pretty excited about. It promotes a great new company called Agel. You may have already heard of it. They produce a new nutrition technology which involves gel suspention.

Anyway, please check it out at my website http://www.success.agelteamhq.com.

All the best,
Bradford

Anonymous said...

If you are over 65 years of age, you may be more likely to experience side effects from . Your doctor may prescribe a lower dose of the medication.Ionamin

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent site, is it all your own doing. I have just added you to my favourites and will defintely come back again soon. If you want to you could take a look at my website and let me know if you like it. help me stop smoking

Anonymous said...

I have just added you to my most loved and will most certainly check you out again. Where do you get your idas from. It would be great if you went by my personal blog and told me if it does the job. help stop smoking

NewsBlogger said...

Hello, my name is driftglass,
I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION aboutdiabetes mellitus and found your site.
I was looking out for diabetes mellitus related information. Anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.
Sorry, I have see that your this post wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest.
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

NewsBlogger said...

I am driftglass, and I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON diabetes and found your site.
Sorry, I have see that your this post wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest. If you like you can contact me. Your page I see row why I found when I was looking for diabetes related information. Anyway, I am glad I stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

Anonymous said...


business school Business Resource - Secrets of Attracting More Customers
100% Practical, Rock-Solid, Ready-To-Use Tactics And Strategies Guaranteed To Pump Massive Amounts of Cash Into Your Bank Account!

Anyone who wants to discover the ultimate secrets to generating maximum money in minimum time would be CRAZY not to get this powerful new wealth-building eCourse! Learn to create stunning fortunes for small businesses and entrepreneurs.

The secret techniques and proven methodologies revealed in this eCourse are a goldmine of cash-generating tips, tricks, and strategies! Business Resource business school

Anonymous said...

May all of your tommorrows be as wonderful as the sunsets that fill the skies over the Hawaiian Islands...

Thinking of Hawaii!
aloha bedding

NewsBlogger said...

Hello, I like to contact you! My name is driftglass,
By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about diabetes recipe I have found your site.
I was looking out for diabetes recipe related information. Sorry, I have see that your this post isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

Anonymous said...

Hey just to let you know that yes I am promoting this but if you dont want to save at the pump then dont go to the site but I believe no matter who you are gas is just to expensive.

The goverment is using it and many other huge company's. This is not just some fly by night company or product. This is the real deal.

Anonymous said...

http //www.hoodia-product.info/ I have found a proven way anyone can lose weight within a week, without any crazy dieting. This product is a no-nonsense solution for obesity. People just like you are losing weight right now! Stop worrying about being overweight, Start living your life the way YOU want to! - Please visit http //www.hoodia-product.info/

Anonymous said...

I've been blogging all day,and came across yours.. looking good, just looking for ideas for my own, your the 50th blog today,

Thank,
Pat
high cholesterol diet

Anonymous said...

Great piece of blogging. Glad I accidently found your blog. I would love you to visit this site Hypnosis Articles and tell me what you think.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my online home business opportunity site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

HEY LOOKY HERE!!! Rene Keiser signed up, and here's what happend..."This website is so viral - I received over one hundred sign-ups and my network is already 5 levels deep in less than 48 hours." ~ Rene Keiser. Learn more about it here: home business opportunity site. It pretty much covers home business opportunity related stuff and it is FREE to join.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.