Friday, May 20, 2005

Suuuure, I got tix.



Let’s talk about it :-)

The big difference between us on this particular day?

Through a small miracle, my sorry, broke-assed self has tickets to the Cubs-v-White Sox Crosstown Classic and you do not.

Good tickets.

Real good tickets.

And ironically, I’m not a huge baseball fan. Bwaahaha!

I like the game well enough, but don’t obsess over it: today is all about sitting in one of the most perfect Temples of Baseball left on Earth, set smack in the middle of a busy Chicago neighborhood, in a spot my father or grandfather might well have sat it. It’s about cranking the pace and tempo of life down from “frantic” to “leisurely” for one afternoon. Having a beer or several, a couple of dogs, enjoying the company of friends and watching the boys of summer play.

It’s around 50 here in my beautiful city, and won’t get out of the low 60’s all day long. Chilly. Foggy. Overcast. Little spits of rain.

Do I care?

Are you kidding?

See you on the teevee: I'll be the one with the cold Old Style and the big grin :-)

8 comments:

Digger said...

Another big difference...you have a good chance of watching your team kick ass. I, on the other hand, am a fan of the glorious Seattle Mariners.
This is your ass:
(_!_)
This is your ass after playinf the White Sox:
(_o_)

Anonymous said...

Dude, I hope those lovely ladies are the friends to whom you referred. Baseball is a game that harkens back to a simpler time, when giants walked the earth as heros. Baseball is the only major sport played without a clock or time-keeping, moving instead to its own internal rhthyms. Baseball goes back 6000 years to the very creation of the world: "In the big-inning, god created the heavens and the earth."

PS- Chasing 192 year-old whiskey with an Old Style is truly a sign of class.

Anonymous said...

Drift, be careful, I hear Bonds&Co. have convinced the commish to pisstest the fans instead of the players.

Anonymous said...

Wrigley's a great park. I sat in the same seat that Ferris Bueller sat in, only I was there on 8/8/88. (Chicago trivia......)

Anonymous said...

I'm totally jealous. Greetings from out here in Naperville!

weinerdog43

Anonymous said...

Wrigley's a great park. Beats Fenway and most others, hands down.
-Marek

driftglass said...

weinerdog43,
Any day at the park with friends is a good day, win or lose. Yeah, they sucked pretty bad Friday. Got booed and all.

steve,
I dunno. One murder last year, and I saw in the paper that there were arrests over the weekend, but it was pretty festive on Friday. Immaculate weather and the only day game going on anywhere in the country.
I do know that last year someone poisoned a section of center field vine during a crosstown game and they had to make do with a bad comb-over the rest of the year.
I do know that at Wrigley, if someone rushes the field, it's likely to be a drunk busty blond who want's to bounce waterslide across the tarp during a rain delay. Down at "the Cell", if someone rushes the field, its likely to be a dynamic father/son duo of drunken trailer trash trying to beat the shit out of a manager or coach.
Just sayin' :-)

Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed