Monday, May 09, 2005

Give me all my crazy judges.



Right Now!!

(I just viewed this and realized that linking this pic knocks my blogroll a little off-and-down, but 'cmon, talk about a cute kid...and a picture being worth 1000 words. So I'm going to leave it like this until I can get to a PC where I can properly download/export/reload this little guy in a more blog-friendly size.)

Another meal at, believe it or not, another cool little hippy joint, this one closer to home, featuring live guitar and sparrows flitting in and out of the greenhouse dealie they open up out to the sidewalk when the weather gets warm enough.

And it is warm enough! Thank Clementaena– my made-up goddess of temperate evenings -- the shirtsleeve climes has finally gotten a foothold.

So I’m grading papers and enjoying a Snakebite and some pretty good chicken fajitas, and this interesting fight breaks out between a couple of children two tables over – Little Lord Majority Leader obviously wanted the toy that his younger sister obviously did not want to give him.

He: “But we have a RULE, so give it to me.”

She: “What rule? We never had a rule. I never even heard of this?”

He: “Doesn’t matter. We have one NOW, so gimmie!”

She: “Mom!!”

Brevity being the soul of it, I must admit I was impressed.

Impressed enough to write it down as verbatim as I could, because frankly it would have been really rude of me to go over to the tired looking couple in the invisible Blue Peacekeeper U.N. Helmets and askthem to have their kids rerun their brief tiff like SCA geeks restage the The Battle of Agincourt down at the mall retaining pond…just so I could get every little word just right.

Anyway, I was impressed: whole digital oceans of digital ink have been spilled by the Mainstream Media, topped off, and then spilled again without ever coming within sniping distance of this succinct a description of the vicious reality of political life under One Party Fundamentalist Rule.

So this morning, this from the Associated Press seemed to dovetail too nicely with last evening’s, eavesdropped, prepubescent exchange to let it pass:


Schumer Urges Bush to Rein in Judge Fight
Sen. Charles Schumer, a leading Democrat in the fight over judicial nominees, urged President Bush to intervene and rein in the strongest conservative critics of Democratic opposition to some candidates.
Schumer, D-N.Y., delivered his party's weekly radio address Saturday, in which he decried ''a whiff of extremism in the air the likes of which we haven't seen in decades.'' Without naming any, Schumer criticized ''small groups ... trying to undermine the age-old checks and balances that the Founding Fathers placed at the center of the Constitution.''
Democrats have blocked 10 of Bush's appellate court choices with the threat of filibusters, which means those nominees would need 60 votes to be confirmed. Republicans are considering using their majority to change rules to require a simple majority vote for confirmation.
In his radio appeal, Schumer sought to draw Bush more directly into the fray by urging the president to denounce some conservatives who have used harsh language to criticize the Democrats.
''I am making a heartfelt plea to you, Mr. President. When you came to Washington, you said you wanted to change the climate in D.C.,'' Schumer said. ''Those stating these abhorrent views count themselves as your political allies. One word from you
will bring a halt to these un-American statements. That would be a way to strengthen democracy here at home.''
The senator referred generally to some activists comparing judges to the Ku Klux Klan and terrorists
Rules?

When the Republicans need ‘em, the rules are the Inviolable Moral Code to which we must all be bound, like it or not. And if following the rules just happens to end in a convenient bit of partisan butchery – say a failed Special Prosecutorial Coup against Bill Clinton, or putting dozens of secret holds on Clinton’s judicial nominees while cowering like lichen in the dank, dark, safe anonymity of the Senate cloakroom – well that’s just the way it goes. Rules are Rule after all…

…until they no longer serve raw, partisan interests and then they’re scrapped and forgotten like last year’s Christmas toys. They become just so many disposable two-ply ass rags.

And if you dare to suggest that maybe, since the Right made such an almighty moralizing stink for seven years over acting in Draconian fidelity to the Beloved Rules – no matter how trivial the offense -- as long as they were making Clinton bleed that maybe...maybe...they should actually live up to their own rhetoric and follow their own precepts, well fuck you!

Turns out, their rules, their principles, their core beliefs – all their pretty words – were just so many blunt instrument to be used to club their way to power. Or as one of their older, minor deities -- Leona Helmsley – said years ago about taxes, “Rules are for little people.”

I believe in the New Testament these sorts were referred to as the Pharisees (Man, I just hope nobody tells Jesus.)

At least when children fight, the worst that usually happens is one side or another exercises the “Mom!” Option. The "Day The Earth Stood Still" Gort Protocol. An appeal to a higher authority; a cooler intellect.

We used to have “Moms” in this country. Referees. Wiser heads. Not many of them, and they were often deeply flawed…but they used to exist, and not during the Devonian Era, but recently. Very recently.

Back before Newt Gingrich declared Total War on liberals and decreed that the word “compromise” was now a smutty pejorative only ever to be spoken of sneeringly – mockingly…reasonable men and women in both parties could have gotten together and worked these things out.

And back before Ronald Reagan murdered the Fairness Doctine and unleashed the Disinformation Age, we had another such institution: a Free and Fair Press. A media who believed, for all of its imperfections, that it was simply and obviously the job of the press to “comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.”

(Aside: For Wingnut Trivial Pursuit fans, it’s worth noting that the Great Communicator would never have been able to liquidate the Fairness Doctrine had he not been eagerly abetted in his filthy work by two of the most reliably “activist” judicial henchmen of the Right – Robert Bork and Antonin “Fat Tony” Scalia.)

But now Mom has gone and taken sides. And now it doesn’t matter how unhinged or frightening Little Fundy Jimmy becomes, she’ll relentlessly praise him, extolling his nonexistent virtues as prolifically as Augustine musing about God. And it doesn’t matter if he stomps and beats his sister until her bones snap, Mom is still going to snarl, “Play nice Suzy! Little Fundy Jimmy’s just upset because you won’t play nice!”

And as Little Fundy Jimmy runs berserk, setting fires, poisoning puppies and kicking the elderly, neutered, senile Mainstream Dad sits in the corner and mutters impotently to himself: “If you ask me, it seems like maybe Suzy and Jimmy are both right!”

44 comments:

Mister Roboto said...

I believe the word that applies here is kakistocracy, or government of a society by the most amoral and miscreant members of its elites.

Anonymous said...

Nice. Or "not nice at all", if you're a member of the red-faced, screaming toddler assembly once known as the Party of Lincoln -- before the leadership decided "the party of Tara" played better to the racist idiots on my side of the Mason-Dixon Line.

One very tiny quibble, though: Unless you were making a word play that went completely over my head (which is a distinct possibility) it's the "Devonian Era", after Devonshire in England, where the fossils which typify this slice of geologic time were first categorized in the 1840s.

driftglass said...

Nah, prof...it was just a fuckup.

Usually I'm speeding along and don't tinker with my own errata too much post mortem unless they're factual errors or I get that headslap, that was the word I was looking for thing.

This one gets fixed & thanks for the catch.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure the html extent in the comments, so I'll link. I saw a photoshop of that kid a ways back. This is the first time I've seen the original. The PS is funny.
I've pretty well given up on any speck of reason in our government lately. The best case scenario I can come up with has it getting so incredibly bad that no one can help but notice, and the democratic process fixes itself. The downside is that it's going to have to get really bad for the truth to penetrate the sphincters of those with their heads so far up their asses they're chewing their gum twice. I try not to think of the worst cases.

Anonymous said...

You just have to humor us amateur gynecolo -- I mean, paleontologists.

And I didn't think of the perfect Firesign Theatre quote until just now:

"In the Late Devourian, fish became obnoxious..."

But then, aren't we all up against the Wall of Science?

Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed

Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed

Anonymous said...

Greatest Blog Post. Please visit this site on distance international long phone
distance international long phone

Anonymous said...

It's time to take charge of your future and independence by having your own business!

Anonymous said...

Great blog. In case you care to know, I was searching for high protein and meal nreplacment and your blog came up. I am glad I found it though.

Very nice.

Anonymous said...

This is a very nice site. I was out looking for "low carbohydrate stores san antonio tx" and found your blog in the process.

Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on telecommute I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on telecommute and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the telecommute related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on telework I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on telework and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the telework related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on work at home jobs I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on work at home jobs and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the work at home jobs related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Really impressed with your blog. Arrived here by accident but will certainly be back.
All The Best
home based business idea

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on telecommute I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on telecommute and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the telecommute related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on work from home jobs I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on work from home jobs and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the work from home jobs related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hi
One of the best blogs I've come across. Most impressed. I'll certainly be back. You've got a good resource there.
Regards,
internet business from home
internet business from home

Anonymous said...

Searching through blogs for information is like chasing rainbows. I can get close to what I am looking for, but never really find the "pot of gold". Regardless, I am glad I came across your posts.

--Take care,
work at home business testimonials

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on telework I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on telework and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the telework related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on work from home I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on work from home and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the work from home related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Lose Weight Now. Fasting, when done peoperly, can be a basoc part of a solid weight loss plan. If done correctly it can ne a great start to your new way of life.
Link to this site. 3 week rapid weight loss

Anonymous said...

Lose Weight Now. Fasting, when done peoperly, can be a basoc part of a solid weight loss plan. If done correctly it can ne a great start to your new way of life.
Link to this site. teen weight loss plan

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Found your blog the other day while checking out home business sites. Bookmarked it so I could make a return visit. I would like to mention another site worth checking out as it access 10000 plus home business opportunities. If you have the time worth looking at
All The Best,
home based business

Anonymous said...

Hi There,
Caught your blog by accident. Really impresive site. You might like to check out a similar site with access to over ten thousand money making ideas.
Regards,
building a home internet business

Anonymous said...

This is a great opportunity. Just push a button 4 times per day and make $1,000's per month within one year.

Anonymous said...

Some of these signs of a cheating spouse are "Tongue in cheek" while others are tell tale signs that commonly appear with a cheating husband or a cheating wife, there is no copyright.
Link to this site: relationship abuse
http://relationship-faq.info/

Anonymous said...

Some of these signs of a cheating spouse are "Tongue in cheek" while others are tell tale signs that commonly appear with a cheating husband or a cheating wife, there is no copyright.
Link to this site: mother daughter relationship
http://relationship-faq.info/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Blog. I really enjoyed it.

As you are interested in Make and Sell DVD's, I thought you may like to check out a new opportunity:

http://www.inforatreat.com/dvd

It is a great new way of making money. There is lots of advice even if you don't purchase. So hope you like it.

All the Best

Make and Sell DVD's

jacko492 said...

Hey, not too bad! I'm looking around to get ideas for marketing my site http://jacko492.mp3center.hop.clickbank.net . Don't worry I'm not trying to sell you anything, I'm more interested in the way the site is put together. I'm trying to cover words like download songs and similar topics. Nice job!---Jack---
download songs

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I will definitely be coming back some time

Thanks,
enjoyable

Anonymous said...

I just read your blog, � very nice.
I made myself a blog, I have a movies downloads site. It pretty much covers movies downloads related stuff. Check it out if you have the time.

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on telecommute I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on telecommute and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the telecommute related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, with all the information on work at home I became very overwhelmed. Anyway, I was online doing a specific search for the most current information on work at home and somehow I ended up on your site. ##NAME## to be frank, ##TITLE## wasn't not the exact match to what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I'm here. You've certainly managed to grab me attention and peak my interest. I must say this is a great blog and I'm most certainly happy that I stopped by eventhough it wasn't the work at home related information I was looking for. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

a great opportunity, no selling, no phoning, no recruiting PERIOD!

Anonymous said...

I am planning to share this with my work friends. Hey man you have a really insane personal blog here. I would appreciate it if you took a peek at my site and told me what you think. help me stop smoking

Anonymous said...

Hey!! Very good information here :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my car. It is my prize posession. Took me 3 hours though. So I settled down into my office and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my associates degree and have spent the last 6 months researching quick weight loss diet. In the middle of my browsing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am invading but I must say it is great blog. Even though your blog is way off base from quick weight loss diet I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote down your url and feel free to visit me here at quick weight loss diet. I am so busy so I can only update my site weekly. Keep up the awesome work.

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my banner engineering site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my auto refinance bad credit site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my south texas hunting leases site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a wholesale wicker gift basket
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a wholesale western gift site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit loan secured site.
Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

1 Referral = $3.904.00 per MONTH!
2 Referrals = $5,856.00 per MONTH!
...Imagine what YOU can earn every month with our multi level marketing!

No Recruiting! Fully Automated!
Never pay more than $10 per month..with this great multi level marketing