Monday, May 02, 2005

Don't blame me.


The Budda made me do it. Posted by Hello

This from Humble Pie...

"Chicago Green, talkin' 'bout Black Lebanese
A dirty room and a silver coke spoon
Give me my release, come on
Black napalese, it's got you weak in your knees
Sneeze some dust that you got buzzed on
You know it's hard to believe
30 days in the hole
30 days in the hole
30 days in the hole
That's what they give you
30 days in the hole
I know"


Well, like the Budda said about computers viruses that are spread via email...all suffering comes from attachments, so I decided that it was time to move the furniture around a bit and try a new template.

And it seemed like a good time for it. The old look – classic driftglass, if you will :-) – was a little hard on the eyes and didn’t lay out in a way that I liked very much. Old starter-dishes that look fine on the milk crates, but nothing you want to serve a lover breakfast on.

Also it’s been a month since I packed my bindle and left Gilly’s house for my own trip down Glory Road. Been a weird month, packed inside what is shaping up into a weird year, seated inside what I would charitably describe as not the very best five-year stretch I’ve ever seen. More losses than gains by a measurable amount, but I’m not chopping cotton and I’m not sniper bait in Bagdad, so I count myself a lucky man.

A month.

For those of you that comment (which I do enjoy reading, even when they are perhaps steeped in a little wine. Who among us, after all...) or email, I’ll say that – discounting the voices in my head -- it’s just me doing this solo. And that I really do have three (well...2.5) gigs that I work to keep the Weasels of Doom from my door. And so I do sort of bang this stuff out on horseback between here and there, so I’m quite as surprise as anyone that some of it bricks together as well as it does...even though it’s just riddled with inflection. ;-)

Right now I’m listening Leonard Cohen’s “10 New Songs” and wondering whether I have to go Full Metal (Double) Windsor tomorrow, or I can make it a more casual day. It’s been cool and drizzly here all weekend long, and I have so much work already stacked up and so much more barreling down the pike, I can hardly believe it, but then don’t we all.

On the top of my To-Read pile (next to my Lou Reed pile), unopened copies of “The Art of High Stakes Decision Making” and “Massive Change” stare balefully up at me, and I wonder which one I’ll tackle next. And I know in my heart I’ll go back the bookshelf and pull out “Will You Please Be Quiet, Please.” before I crack either one.

It all feels a little...contingent...at this hour.

On thing’s for solid-sure, though: it has been a month.

30 days in the blog, so to speak :-)

Imagine that.

20 comments:

Eli said...

Ack! You changed your format!

Now I'm all disoriented and bumping into the furniture.

Anonymous said...

You're too humble. But Happy Anniversary, anyway!

Anonymous said...

Driftglass- congrats on the first month. You keep writing, and I'll keep adding to the chorus in your head...

Anonymous said...

And a well-spent and thoughtfully pissy and funny thirty days it has been.

Happy birfday, many rowdy returns!

Anonymous said...

#@^&*JW##*!!!

That shoulda been "Tanbutt"...

Anonymous said...

What? Only a month? You mean that I actually got in on something good *early*? Great, now a year from now I can complain about "newbies" and long for "the old crowd" and wish for a return to the "classic" posts

egggggcellent!

Anonymous said...

So yeah, did you hear about the Buddhist burger joint? They'll make you one with everything.

Yeah, and cool layout. At least now your blog doesn't default to the system font in Firefox for Linux.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Driftglass, from another of your vast multitude of admirers.

Well, ok, it may not be a multitude yet -- but if this last month's blogging is any indication, the legions of fanatic adherents are sure to follow.

Anonymous said...

2 fundies are talking; one says to the other, "I heard the other day that we only use 1/3 of our brains."
The other one says, "I wonder what we do with the other third?"
Congratulations on one month...
hawiken

Anonymous said...

A month? Is it too early to complain about how there's an "in crowd" that shuts out all us newcomers?

parsec

Anonymous said...

I've only been addicted to reading blogs for about a month, so it seems to me that you've been here all along. You've been the most reliably, funny, interesintg, stick-it-to-'em blog that I've read.

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

triozyg --

If you want to see what great influence shaped driftglass's blogger sensibilities go to Steve Gilliard's site. Do not miss Steve's observations on the proper tender romancing of one's bride-to-be.

parsec

driftglass said...

A very sincere, "Thank you" to you all, from me and my imaginary legions. You done my heart good with all of your kind words.

Gentlemen, a hearty handshake for each and every one of you, and the bartender will take care of you for the rest of the evening

Ladies, you look a little warm. Why don't you make yourselves more comfortable and slip out of those heavy clothes?

Slooowly ;-)

Unknown said...

Good post

Anonymous said...

display your RSS feeds on their web sites for content.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I m going to bookmark this and come back. I have a friend of mine interested in bar supplies and he may like to see this Blog.

This is the first time I 've read a Blog like this. Gotta go still looking for info on bar supplies.


You and your readers are always welcome to visit my favorite Las Vegas directory.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Due to visiting your site today, I have learnt lots of new staff. I really, really feel like I know all there is to know now. Thanks for your help!

Thanks,
spotless

Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!