Saturday, February 01, 2020

Today In Failing To Control Your Environment News


Why does this sound so familiar?

Oh yeah...
Newt Gingrich Says His Patriotism Made Him Cheat: What Are The Worst Excuses For Cheating You've Ever Heard?

Recently, when defending his past adultery in advance of a potential Presidential run in 2012, New Gingrich said this: "There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate." Cheating for your country. Amazing.
I plan to gladly and unreservedly support the nominee of the Democratic Party, whoever it turns out to be.  Period.  Full stop.

However it would make life for sellout Obot corporatist drones like me considerably less uneasy if the accretion disc of heartfelt supporters, zealots, trolls and political toddlers which surround the Sanders campaign -- and frequently presume to speak on behalf of the campaign -- were to caucus together and pick one of these two, mutually exclusive positions on the subject of Hillary Clinton.

Position #1: Hillary Clinton -- the Democratic Party's candidate for president in 2016 who won the popular vote by three million and for whom more people voted than any candidate in history other than Barack Obama -- remains so influential and holds so much sway over so many millions of Democratic voters who still stand with her, that she even though she is now a private citizen who is as entitled to her own opinions as anyone else, she should nonetheless keep her opinions to herself and stay out of the 2020 election.

Position #2: Who cares if we bag on Shillery! She's a neocon corporatist DNC monster! And if her dopey supporters don't like it, fuck 'em. After all, who needs 'em when we've got Hugh Hewitt and Kevin McCarthy and Michael Moore and Ben Shapiro and Joe Rogan and Jill Stein and Donald John Trump on our side!

"Politics," Hunter Thompson once said, "is the art of controlling your environment."  And if the Sanders campaign cannot control the environment of the Sanders campaign, then they are in very big trouble down the road.

So just pick a position on Hillary and run with it.  Because hopping from one to the other depending on which way the wind is blowing on any given day makes you look ridiculous.



Driftglass Legal Defense Fund

3 comments:

Robt said...

We're quoting the Newtie?

Well there is another quote of the Newt. I paraphrase

"yes, I have been corrupt, have indulged in lustful sins, bared false witness. I am a horrible person who hates everyone else. Especially those that do not obey what I say they should.
But the important thing is, people need me to tell them these things. It is more important what I say as a leader. Not what I do as a person. It is everyone else that I hate that does not obey my every pronouncement ?.

The do as I say-not as I do (saying) that Newtie takes the scenic route to tell.

I can't understand why Newt did not follow thru with his "match.com" selected soul mate, of Peggy Noonan. Was dismissed for Calista of the Vatican.

Jonathan said...

There is no action or position (short of dropping out) that Bernard Sanders or his fans (also known as The Left, sorry) could take which could bring the end of Bernie Bro narratives, because it's not being pushed in reaction to an actual situation, most times.

I don't know what you'd expect Bernie or his campaign to actually do about the bad actors they, like every movement, do have within them, or associated to them, or just giving them a passing endorsement. I don't think you know what you'd suggest, either.

I guess that's fine. Wokescold finger-wagging and a refusal to substantively engage with the needs of a population crushed by neoliberalism and angry at the established powers worked great last time.

Chan Kobun said...

"Wokescold".

Yeah, that totally doesn't betray you as the rightist you are.