Tuesday, June 12, 2012

One More Rat Flees the Good Ship Atwater



Far too late.

From "The Cagle Post".

Blah blah blah..."rock-solid Republican"...yadda yadda yadda..."my law school’s chapter of the Federalist Society and its Republican club"... and then:
MICHAEL STAFFORD

Why I Gave Up On Being a Republican ...

...
I came to the decision to leave the GOP not with a heavy heart, but with a broken one. I reached this point through a long series of awakenings and realizations- a path marked by literally years of wrestling with, and finally accepting, the political implications of a number of difficult truths. It involved ever-increasing levels of cognitive dissonance, as I tried to square my experiences, concerns, and knowledge, with my continued loyalty to the GOP.
...

From the moment the Tea Party emerged on the scene, I had a premonition that I would eventually have to leave the GOP. But my mind conjured innumerable reasons for delay- for putting off the day of reckoning in the desperate hope that some game-changing miracle would occur, such as a victory by Governor Jon Huntsman in the Republican presidential primary.
...
Not to worry, my fellow America-hating Commie-symps; David Frum is asserting that Mr. Stafford is still steering clear of our wretched hive of Liberal scum and villainy and instead "reaffiliat[ing] as an independent".

So he's got that going for him.

5 comments:

Jack said...

We're about at a point, now, where "the left" in America is people like this Federalist Society doucebag (Stafford), David Frum, and Jeb Bush, while the right are neoconfederates and Birchers.

So where does that leave moderate conservative Republicans, like Barack Obama? He now occupies a position of radical disrepute in territory somewhere between George McGovern and the Black Panthers.

We're so screwed.

I've decided it might be easier to take the next 30 years if I just look at it anthropologically; there was never any reason to believe America *had* to be the home of the free forever, that it always had to be the shining example of the best humanity had to offer.

That distinction, if it survives anywhere, will have to be carried on in some other part of the First World. Europe? Latin America? Asia?

Time will tell. But this country? We've already lost it to the pig people. All that's left now is for them to tear the nation's carcass to pieces.

Anonymous said...

...which is nice...

Anonymous said...

At least when people flee the Klan, some of them have the decency to use their knowledge of it's inner workings to help try and bring it down. Frum and the rest of the "sinking ship-jumping-rodent" ilk, just try and repackage their stupid into a softer, more gentile form of the same old crazy. I am sure there will be a seat at Maher's round table for this new mild epiphany in the near future. Also:Didn't their great reasonable hope (Huntsman) support the granny starving Ryan plan? Oh yes, he would have fixed everything...
We are truly screwed;they have re-framed the debate, moved the goal post..ad nauseam..This good side isn't even playing the same game anymore.

JHB said...

According to Amazon, the top quotes of his book highlighted by Kindle users are:
“Conservatives need to adopt a more proactive policy in helping people instead of just leaving them alone to the barren marketplace.
Highlighted by 3 Kindle users

This does not mean abandoning the market-oriented policies of conservatism but instead suggests that we temper the private sector and the public sector with the civil society sector.
Highlighted by 3 Kindle users

Of course, a word already exists to describe people who advocate these things. The word is Liberal. He was in nursery school when Reagan took office, so it's possible he just needs time to purge his system after being fed horseshit for his entire life, but that's in the "the way I hope, not the way I bet" department.

Anonymous said...

He was in nursery school when Reagan took office

I was in kindergarten, which makes me maybe a little older than him, and I never fell for it. Even in the single digits of age, I could see that Reagan was a fraud, and the Soviet Union as it then was, was a paper tiger that someone had glued really big teeth on.

What makes me different from him? I dunno, but I never got 20 years of wingnut welfare out of the deal...