Thursday, September 29, 2011

Empathy, Bitches!


You know, sometimes it's overrated. (The Limits of Empathy By DAVID BROOKS)

But maybe not.

There are a lot of books that say one thing, but there's this other book that says something else.

Let's say empathy is like, well, like a stream of piss. Sure, it feels great, but it's better to pee in a urinal or toilet and not just walk around peeing randomly on people's shoes. Because this is not good for you, or the shoes, or the person on whose shoes you are peeing.

Unless that person was on fire.

Like finding a dime in a phone booth in 1970 (I know it doesn't make any sense so just keep moving along), it would be OK to pee on them -- empathetically or not -- if (and I cannot emphasize this strongly enough [which reminds me, did you ever notice that word "empathize" and "emphasize" sorta sound alike? Anyway...]) if you are peeing on them to put the fire out.

Like in "The Adventures of Gulliver"!

Boy, was that ever a cool teevee series, even if it did come out while the country was positively infested with hippies! Let's see, there was Gulliver and Glum...and Eager and Bunko...and Flirtacia and Tagg...

...and Jesus, but doesn't that sound an awful lot like the output from a Sarah Palin Random Baby Name Generator!

Maybe I should write a bestselling book about it?

Anyhoo, I don't think the animated kid's series had anyone being peed on, even though is was produced by Hanna-Barbera, who I'm pretty sure were high all the time.

But as I understand the Wikipedia notes on the book that the cartoon was based on, Gulliver got in big trouble by peeing out a fire at the castle of the Lilliputian king. Gulliver was all bemused and mocking about it when he was peeing on the Lilliputians, but people forget that he was later picked up by the Brobdingnagians, to whom Gulliver seemed just as petty and boastful as the Lilliputians had seemed to him.

I am almost positive that there is a lesson there, and in my next bestselling book I shall explore this deeply.

After all, some Nazis cried when they killed people.

Sometimes.

Early on.

And those Milgram Experiment subjects -- while they were a little too sweaty and ethnic -- did seem to demonstrate some consternation about the people they thought they were electrocuting.

Which is why empathy sucks (or maybe not) and moral codes rule, bitches!

People who live by strong codes of conduct are awesome. Like John Carter of Mars. Or Darth Vader. Or David Koresh. They all lived by powerful codes larger than themselves.

Or so I am told.

They weren't just out there sparking up marijuana cigarettes and then not giving me any, or fucking practically every guy in the dorm except me.

No, sirree. They believed in shit, man! Big, important shit that you, Mister-always-showing-off-that-your-emotion-chip- wasn't-removed-as-part-of-a-monstrous-Faustian-bargain-you-made-with-William-Buckley could not possibly understand.

And even though no one anywhere has ever suggested that empathy could or should be seen as some kind of free-floating haint (look it up) sylphing (look it up) around the moral universe sapping our precious fluids somehow by its utter divorcedness from moral codes and/or rational policies, I am going to infer just such a thing to be true.

Because inventing imaginary controversies and then writing about the imaginary conflict's imaginary Reasonable Middle Ground gives me something to turn in to my rubber-stamping bosses at the New York Times today.

In fact, I'll go further and infer with no evidence whatsoever that there is some pandemic level of unfettered, nekkid, lusty empathy being wallowed in by unspecified groups of people, and that this rampancy of fellow-feeling is a direct, oppositional threat to....something?

Wall Street maybe?

The military?

Jesus, I'm halfway though one more of these on-the-one-hand-but-on-the-other-hand book reports and I have no idea what the fuck I'm even talking about.

I've got one of the the most important columns in the most important paper in America, and what the fuck am I even talking about? This isn't even creative typing, This is...reflex gibberish. Machine-generated mad-libs of what a David Brooks column looks like. Like one of those vacuum molded insta-sculptures of animals you usta could get at the Zoo for a quarter.

Hey, remember that plastic smell? And that fastfastfast, repeater-rifle clacking noise the machine made as it shot the goop -- black for panthers, brown for monkeys -- into the mold?

Remember that adhesive sucking noise it made as your treasure was dispensed, and you could watch the whole thing happen under the gadget's clear, Lucite dome?

That little ridge-line that ran all the way around it? And how warm it felt in your hand, especially if you were visiting the Zoo on a cold Fall or winter day?

The sun was so bright then.

The colors -- even the brown leaves and brown grass -- so damn vivid and sharp. And the scent of musk and ancient danger in the Lion House.

Hard now to believe that at the same moment an impossible plastic tiger or crocodile was being fabricated just for me and dropping into my little hand by a gleaming American-made machine, my country was napalming the hell out of some corner of Vietnam jungle.

Hard now to believe that as I was curled up with a cup of cocoa watching "The Adventures of Gulliver" my country -- the country to which I'm sure I had repeatedly pledged allegiance to earlier that week -- was feeding young men into a mindless, monstrous, futile meatgrinding machine 10,000 miles away and in my name.

Damn!

What is wrong with me?

Did one of those "Occupy Wall Street" hempathy-Nazis slip me some bad acid, and I've just been sitting here for hours? days? obsessively re-litigating the pros and cons of imaginary unicorns?

Have whole weeks slipped by and I have just forgotten it?

What else have I forgotten?

Oh my God, have I forgotten how to breathe? I mean, when was the last time I did it? And would I even be thinking about my breathing or peeing or empathy if I hadn't been dosed by some horrid little hempathy-goblin?

Am I still on deadline?

Is this some old column I wrote years ago and I just think its new?

Did I really just base a whole column on picking a fight with empathy? With fucking empathy?

Dear Lord, why didn't I just go all-in and punch a baby in the face on "Meet the Press"?

Have I just been sitting here for months? Decades? Typing meaningless strings of letters like this
Empathy makes you more aware of other people’s suffering, but it’s not clear it actually motivates you to take moral action or prevents you from taking immoral action.
and this
You may feel a pang for the homeless guy on the other side of the street, but the odds are that you are not going to cross the street to give him a dollar.
over and over again?

"Pang"? "Pang"? Oh God, now I can't stop thinking about it!

"Pang"?

I mean, is that even a word at all?

Is this Hell? Am I in Hell?

Maybe.

Or maybe this is just highway hypnosis. White line fever. Very, very white line fever. Zombied out from watching my fingers type out slight variations of the same damn Broderian column year after year.

Heck, maybe I'm hammered. Lubricated just enough again to get over the intense feeling of self-loathing that my contribution to humanity amounts to making crap like this up twice a week?

Which. like empathy and so many other horribly shameful bodily functions, might be necessary, but is also fundamentally embarrassing and something you really should only do in private.

In the dark.

When you are "crushing your flower".

If you know what I mean.


Also my Fall Fundraiser will begin in a day or so, but if you want to beat the rush...






21 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm....sounds like somebody just got their hands on the sekrit Bobo algorithm....enter a small set of initial parameters, touch a button, and whoosh! watermelon martini time!

Anonymous said...

Gawddam,that was painful to read! DG, please don't channel your inner Bobo again. Go drown him in Lovecraft or something. Feed him to Cthulhu.

Mike.K.

Mister Roboto said...

Something to which you might enjoy making passing reference on some future podcast. I found it funny, perhaps you will also.

Cinesias said...

You're criticism of Brooks is always the best. Hilarious as always.

Anonymous said...

"I Bobot"?....very clever.

David in NYC said...

As soon as I saw the column title at nytimes.com, I thought "Oh, goody! Driftglass will be taking this down!" And then I didn't even bother to read it, because I knew your take on it would be all I needed.

Thanks, both for your post and for saving me the time I would have wasted on the original.

daver said...

I associate those plastic statues indelibly with Chicago. My father grew up there, but I only got to visit once or twice as a kid. Gorillas at the zoo, U-505 submarines at the museum.

I was a math genius at 10, and the Museum of Science and Industry was my god. All the chemical elements on display, just like in the Time-Life book. After seeing that I collected 50 of them in pure form by the time I was 14. (Can you imagine an OSU Prof. sealing fragile glass vials with pure potassium, sodium and bromine in them for a teenager today? Potassium explodes spectacularly on contact with water, as we both knew perfectly well....) The gift shop had a wire puzzle shaped like a bicycle, and a chinese puzzle box that took 55 moves - $5 I didn't have, sigh. (I still sigh after 45 years.)

Pretty crumbly plastic, but it won't melt again. The U505 stood on the dash of my '76 Datsun for 25 years; it stood the New Mexico sun just fine. Funny industrial smell to the plastic (when fresh) though, even to a 10-yr-old nerd....

K. Ron Silkwood said...

A reference to John Carter, Warlord of Mars, is worth a drink, any time of the day.

Anonymous said...

Yes, David Brooks, cold, hard, unapologetic Galtian self-centerdness is just what this country needs in these troubled times--governed by a firm code of conduct, of course...

Geez, how does he write this stuff, with his head lodged so firmly up his ass?

deering said...

Good Christ, drift. _Please_ post something to let us know you're alright after delving in that ghastly toxic psychological stew. That was too scary...

deering said...

Hee--my favorite reader comment on this shit:

"At this time and this place I am sorry to say I find your essay absolutely disgusting although quite worthy of the leader of Sodom."

I've thought for a while now that Brooks has well-perused de Sade first editions in a prominent place in his library. :P

Rev.Paperboy said...

In the monotone words of Glum: "we're doomed"

I'll be hitting the tip jar so you can replace the scotch it took to write this. I suggest all others do likewise.

Fran / Blue Gal said...

Anon wins the internet for "I, Bobot." And yes pay the writer, and yes...

...you're amazing.

Anonymous said...

Keeping in mind that David Brooks is the elite class talking to itself, apparently the top 1% is working on some weird, smushy feelings--and maybe a bit of fear-- that might come from their uncomfortable awareness of the growing plight of bottom 80%. His columns read like mumblings because he is given a list of intellectual agenda items which it is his professional responsibility to convert into persuasive anecdotes for the top managers. Any random grouping of words may serve if they convey the proper inflection, helping management stay on message and on course. So I imagine today's agenda item is something along the lines of buttressing the push for austerity and new burdens on the backs of the masses while not becoming distracted of unfairness of it all, especially as evidenced by the masses on the streets outside, which happen to include a notable contingent of top-level-but-still-vulnerable technicians (e.g., pilots), not unlike like David himself. The upwelling of feelings that must attend David as he sees the reaper come for his ilk may seem scary, so a puff piece on ignoring feelings is appropriate to be able to keep taking everyone else to the cleaners. That he directly invokes homeless people then Nazis puts the collective managerial inner conflicts into perspective and proves they know their agenda is devastating. For now he is still safe, but that might change? I smell a strong whiff of cognitive dissonance coagulating into major neurosis in Brooks' word salad, and it may be that unexpected feedback into his mythology from outside sources (maybe even from places like driftglass.blogspot.com) is affecting him. Dont get your hopes up for change: he's likely to become severely pathological before he comes around to another way of living, as evidenced by rhetorical nuggets like "are we different from adulterers or drug dealers?" That he falls back on stiff upper lips and don't be lead astray from the needed solutions shows he's still up to his tasks. Yet his ending on a pseudo positive note shows the trouble in his heart: he admonishes that if they are to make the world a better place, management must help the masses understand the plight of the rich--who don't always have it easy--and that just because an elite creed conflicts with the masses needs, it's still possible for the masses to to be made to understand, reform, revere and enact the needs of the rich, and so demonstrates the professionalism that keeps David Brooks in extra-high-grade milk and cookies as he edges his ilk towards job-related insanity.

Mister Roboto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mister Roboto said...

BTW, funny column. If that's the way David Brooks's writing really reads, then perhaps he needs to step away from the medicine cabinet.

Anonymous said...

Chris Hedges at #OccupyWallSt (youtube)

Ormond Otvos said...

Tipped and recced as they said at DailyKos b4 they threw out all my bots. Say, Markos has been rubber facing on the TeeVee lately.

Fantastic tour de force of da BoboPit...

Anonymous said...

We are the 99%

prof_fate said...

Stream of un-self-consciousness.

Thanks for another masterful serving of Bobo Flambe, drifty. Nobody does it better.

sjelly said...

Oh dear, driftglass, don't do it again! That was so true to the bastard that I am afraid for your soul. He is so vile it should be legal to slap him into a coma with spiked gloves.