Saturday, March 12, 2011

Trouble, Trouble...


Trouble, Trouble...

(With apologies to Meredith Willson)
...
I smile, I grin, when the gal with a touch of sin walks in.
I hope, and I pray, for a Hester to win just one more "A"
The sadder-but-wiser girl's the girl for me.
The sadder-but-wiser girl for me.


Having played with this trope before (along with "West Side Story"

["Something's coming" Act 1 here] ["When you're a Jet..." Act 2 here] ["Officer Krupke" Act 3 here] and a few others) I trust me when I tell you that the entire songbook from "The Music Man" is almost eeriely perfect for parodying into the life and times of Newton Leroy Gingrich and his latest trophy spousal upgrade.

So we'll see...





4 comments:

RockDots said...

Seems more like a Shelbyville idea to me.

Anonymous said...

I thought TED talks had jumped the shark when Bill Gates kept coming back as an expert on malaria, then nuclear power, then state government finances.

Now David fucking Brooks has a TED talk.

Anonymous said...

Just finished watching TED/David Brooks. The first part is a stand up act where he mocks liberal stereotypes, the rest is him praising all the human qualities that he is unaware that he lacks.

Please please please dissect it on your podcast...

David in NYC said...

Greatly appreciate the Meredith Wilson material. Wonderful stuff.

But, to placate Marian the Librarian, I think you need to change that to "the amnesiac man".