Friday, June 18, 2010

Imagine a $1,900 Berluti Loafer


stamping on a human face --forever.

As I have said on this blog many times (and as George Carlin said long before me), if you want to understand Chicago politics, or big business, corporate media, academia or, really, any large, modern institution that has been captured by the "New Capitalism" philosophy of perpetual disorientation, perpetual dislocation, and pauperization of the great majority of society at the bottom in order to indulge the perpetual winner-take-all, zero-accountability ideology of the tiny, privileged minority at the top...you have to understand the Two Commandments:
1. There is a club.
2. You ain't in it.

(Above, various participants at the 2009 Futures of Modernity Symposium wrap a lot of insightful language like "risk is a consequence of elite solidarity" around the subject.)

So many of the tragic and infuriating failures of modern American life are created by this simple, binary state of affairs, which is why, on all the many occasions I have worked this idea into an essay, I have never intended it to be taken as hyperbole, but as a plain and literal truth of our age. And as Blue Gal and I began working up subjects for this week's podcast (and possibly next week's, because I am a friggin' chatterbox) it surfaced again as one of the topics we are probably going to touch on under the general heading of the Preconditions of Reform. Not the desirability of reform -- I assume anyone with functional frontal lobes and access to the news of the day can see that our culture is horribly broken -- but the principles on which any hope of effective and humane reform depends.

And so to pre-iterate (tm) what you may hear in tomorrow, or next week (or never, if my constant swearing and uncontrollable Charlie Callas feernt-feernt effects

render that portion of the recording unusable) I do not believe that fundamental reform is possible if we do not return virtues like honesty, duty, excellence, experience, responsibility, labor, craft, patience and honor to positions of respect at the center of our civic and economic lives. These virtues do not come from On High; they are all learned behaviors, which means they must be deliberately manufactured, transmitted and reinforced by our cultural, political and media institutions.

Take a good, hard look at the leaders you see -- the ones that actually affect your life, from your boss to the CEO of multi-billion dollar, transnational corporations -- and ask yourself to what extent they actually embody traits like honesty, duty and a commitment to excellence, and to what extent they mouth those words due to social obligation, but will betray those ideals at the drop of a hat, or the whiff of a marginal increase in their bottom line.

Take a good, hard look at the institutions that intersect with your life and ask yourself to what extent they embrace and reward experience, labor and craft.

Take a good, hard look at the authorities who have real power over your life and ask yourself if you believe that, behind closed doors, they behave honorably, responsibly and patiently.

In a culture where these virtues are publicly and privately practiced and rewarded with the same kind of zealousness that the Right now rewards Sarah Palin for being a wincingly-ignorant, amply be-titted demagogue, or that Wall Street rewarded Lloyd Blankfein for being a rapacious, economy-wrecking vampire...then reform is possible.

In a culture where these virtues are merely ritually and perfunctorily intoned in public, while they are openly scorned and evicted from the corridors of power, this is what the future looks like:



A $1,900 Berluti loafer stamping on a human face — forever.





13 comments:

US Blues said...

Brilliant and concise. Actually behaving in a positive way, an idea whose time has come.

Greendayman said...

Or - we arm ourselves and take back our democracy. I'm almost there.

Rehctaw said...

I don't know how you do it. So succinct and precise. Undeterred and un-distracted by the keening noise with their 50,000 Watt AM blowtorches and multi-synched geo-stationary satellites beaming non-stop, irrational, irrelevant excrement into homes and minds, 24/7.

NOWHERE in their poo-poo parties is there even a shouted down whisper of the simple truth you lay down. You'd think with all of the airtime they consume, there might be an opportunity for truth to leech out. Sadly, No.

Oh yeah, and Greendayman?
I don't think you've thought that plan through. If the shootin' starts, what lies at the other end of that rainbow will be far from a democracy.

Greendayman said...

Rehctaw, intellectually I know that you are right - but, there may come a time where armed insurrection is our final option. How many more dollars 'till the revolution? How long will we let corporations run our country for their benefit and the middle class's demise? Privatizing profit while socializing losses? How obvious does it need to be that our three branches of government have been taken over by the top few percent of moneyed gentry and multi-national corporations?

We did all we could to get Obama elected and see what has happened. Same shit, different day. I am getting old. Maybe have cancer. It would be my dying pleasure to off a few of the most egregious offenders that are destroying the country that I love. I have watched the whole thing from Viet Nam to Nixon and Lee Atwater, Rove, Bush I and II, Cheney and now Obama. Life is just not the same. My kids are going to feel the penalty of not inheriting their fortune and finding that the ladder of opportunity has been pulled up by the "chosen few".

This is not the United States of America that we all know and love - it has become the United States of Capitalism with the emphasis on Randian philosophy - selfishness, fear of the other and if you don't have tons of money, you ain't shit. Theocracy elbowing in with their faith based know-nothing brand of politics will set us back to the stone age. We are witnessing the fall of empire for short term gain. That's all the capitalists know. Short term gain. It makes me sad and when I can muster it - really mad.

tech98 said...

The sharp-elbowed assholes at the top will always grab everything they can. There will be always be opportunists in every country in every field of endeavor, and it is up to civilized society to rein them in before they become destructive.

The real problem is the millions of slaw-jawed yokels who think they are in the club - the trailer-trash Republican voter, the people who demand to be flattered for being stupid and bigoted. They worship power and wealth and exalt bullying and cruelty directed at others not like them.

These are the authoritarian-follwers happy to cheer on the rigging of rules, theft and criminality of those actually in the club because they stupidly think that they will get some benefit out of it, that the system is being rigged in *their* favor.

Tengrain said...

There are so many clubs of which I am not a member. Some of 'em I'm just as glad to be left behind.

Regards,

Tengrain

Monster from the Id said...

GDMan--all "successful" revolutions ever accomplish is to replace the old gang of ruling sociopaths with a new gang of ruling sociopaths, bolstered by a different set of justifying myths. See the original French Revolution, the Russian revolution, the Chinese Revolution, et cetera, ad nauseam. Even the USAmerican Revolution included many slaveholders among the ranks of its leaders.

I've given up on this world. Oh, I have much too strong an animal self-preservation drive ever to kill myself, but I've concluded that the only questions that truly matter are:

[1] Is there an afterlife?

[2] If yes, are there differing levels of accomodation?

[3] If yes, what must I do to achieve the best levels of accomodation?

If there is an afterlife, that is the only thing that really matters.

And if there is no afterlife, then nothing really matters. ("anyone can see...")

Selah.

[Yeah, I'm probably depressed, but I know better than to take any of the inadequately tested happy pills of Big Pharma, and end up killing myself like Del Shannon, or killing someone(s) else and then myself, like Phil Hartman's wife. As I noted above, I have a very strong animal self-preservation drive. -_^]

Grace Nearing said...

I've concluded that the only questions that truly matter are....

Monster From the Id-- Love your list, to which I'd add: (1)Will I have a few more memorable meals before leaving for the afterlife? and (2) Will I have a few more toe-curling sessions of lovemaking before leaving for the afterlife?

knowdoubt said...

I have to respectfully disagree with the list, at least the part:

"If there is an afterlife, that is the only thing that really matters.

And if there is no afterlife, then nothing really matters. ("anyone can see...")"

on the grounds that I don't believe in an afterlife in the religious sense of the world, but I don't share the belief that if there is no afterlife, "nothing really matters." The list seems to suggest that without religion there is no morality, spirit, etc. and I just have to beg to differ on that. In fact, I think things would be a lot more ethical/moral/humane without it.

Monster from the Id said...

Knowdoubt--if that works for you, cool.

As for me, however, I have realized that I can be neither a happy orthodox believer nor a happy secular humanist, as I've tried both.

I probably can't be a happy anything, but I fear the inadequately-tested mind-altering pills of Big Pharma too deeply to seek THAT course of relief. I don't want to end up killing myself like Del Shannon, or other(s) and THEN myself, like Phil Hartman's wife. At least my current mental illness does not make me dangerous to myself and/or other people.

Perhaps it's an inherent neurological difference, but for me, there are only two choices.

If I can believe in one or more gods, I will be a Gnostic of some sort.

If I can't believe in any gods, I will be a nihilist--though not a criminal, mind you, as there would still be the criminal justice system to consider. ;)

Anonymous said...

Greendayman, all you're going to accomplish by attempting armed insurrection against a modern military force -- and it will be military, both because our "civilian" police are already two-thirds there, and because you know damn well the elite will kick posse commitatus right to the wayside as soon as it suits them to do so -- all you're going to accomplish is to get yourself killed first, in a particularly ugly way, and probably your family as well.

And, y'know, in a rueful way, I'm amused at this kind of talk, because how much do you want to bet that thoughtful Iraqis were thinking in exactly these terms circa 2002, early 2003?

-- Aaron (aaron@acephalo.us)

Anonymous said...

Monster from the Id: Personally, I'm hoping for nonexistence after death. Can't speak for anyone else, of course, but about all I've got left to hope for at this point is that I'll have an opportunity to rest.

-- Aaron (aaron@acephalo.us)

Greendayman said...

Well, Aaron, I'm not in the least amused. Are you willing to watch the decline of the middle class passively? Maybe you are one of the elite that benefit from high unemployment and low wages. Are we amused now? Fuck you.

How many more dollars until the revolution?