Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Five Year Blogiversary


So it turns out that, as of today, I've been running this little pie wagon of mine for half a decade.

That's longer than I stayed in any one school since I was 12. Longer than most of my relationships or paying jobs have lasted. Longer than Sarah McQuitter was governor of Alaska, or Barack Obama has served in the U.S. Senate and White House combined. And begun in the Ye Olde Timey Days before Twitter, YouTube, MySpace, Facebook and iPhones. Before The Huffington Post and The Daily Beast.

Back when the Death of Journalism was a vicious Liberal rumor instead of a daily obit in the online editions of what remains of America's newspapers, Blogger 1.0 crashed oftener than a student driver wasted on cough syrup, and Gilly and Billmon were two of the few bright lights shining in the dark.

Yeesh, no wonder I'm sleepy.

That averages out to about 1.3 posts a day, every day. Still mostly my own stuff. Still with handmade graphics. Still longer than two sentences and a link.

In other words, still doing it all wrong :-)

My heartfelt thanks to the support I get every day from all my readers, lurkers, commenters, emailers, contributors, honest critics, well-wishers, peers and colleagues.

Now I'm gonna record a podcast, sleep for 12 hours and then go see what Bobo is up to.

Hugs, handshakes and ass grabs all around.

driftglass

P.S. While I know George Soros and many of his minions read this blog every day, Mr. Soros' donation counter still sits at zero. Which means that everyone who has ever contributed anything to this blog has kicked in more than George Soros has.

Also more than Arianna Huffington, Pinch Sulzberger and Tina Brown.

Combined.

So, realizing that George is a very busy man, I thought I would do my level best to help the poor guy by making it as easy as possible for him to
find
his
way
into
the
light.



28 comments:

Fran / Blue Gal said...

Here's to the next five. I'm ready to do the podcast recording when you are, you assgrabber, you.

Unknown said...

Congrats Drifty and hopefully another half-decade has begun!

So..you are one of the senior citizens of the blogosphere? ;)

Habitat Vic said...

Hale and hearty congratulations, Drifty.

It was W's re-election that sent me into a political tailspin and the need to find kindred spirits on the web. DailyKos lead me to The News Blog, then to Whiskey Bar, then to Driftglass in late 2005. Though a lapsed Catholic, I sincerely mean it when I say God bless you for what you do.

On a lighter note, your video forced me to relisten to Shatner doing Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds. Oh, the humanity.

David Rice said...

Happy Blogiversary, Driftglass!

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

congrats, drifty, and thanks for all the posts over the years.

When I make a couple of bucks again, I am definitely hitting your button over there.

And great work on the podcasts, both of you, btw.

CapD said...

Five
Five bloggin'
Five bloggin' years long.

Phil said...

Congrats Drifty, you are an inspiration and one of my personal heroes.

Keep after the rotten sonsabitches.

Greendayman said...

Happy fifth Driftglass. Thanks. When my blog grows up I'd like it to be more like yours.

Lessee now, 5 years in the blogosphere converted to computer years is about 15 dog years or 105 total years by teabagger math.

I bet it feels that way sometimes.

Thanks again, Drifty. -g

darkblack said...

I knew you were older than me.

;>)

Congrats, D.

running dog press said...

Happy versity Driftglass.

BG's Dad

Anonymous said...

Congrates, Drift!

Don't stop now, we're gettin' to where we like it. :o)

greatestwirefan said...

Happy Anniversary and keep on doing what you do so well!

Mermaid said...

Heartfelt congratulations on continuing to do, most excellently, what you have done for as long as I've known you. . . . GETTING IT SAID in a way that fires us up and makes us smile at the same time. Simply put. . .you are THE BEST!
Mermaid aka Mom

Palamedes said...

What're you doing reading all these scribbles, Drifty? You have the existence of whole Emperors' wardrobes to disprove!

:-)

Live long, and prosper.
Promise.

Myrtle June said...

Happy Five, Driftglass :-)

pwapvt said...

The innertubes wouldn't be the same without you DG. Congrats on the anniversary.

Comrade PhysioProf said...

You're the fucking best, holmes!

Unknown said...

Keep on doin' it all wrong!

slainte'
Mazel Tov,
Jump up!

Capt. Bat Guano said...

Bravo, encore......I wish I wasn't so late to the party. But now I know where it is.

The Minstrel Boy said...

i applaud not only your tenacity, but the sheer brilliance of that.

you stay, you write, and you do it all with great verve.

i'm very glad you have been able to stick it out and keep pounding away.

felicidades mi amigo.

Lindy said...

Bobo says: When you can steal an election, you can steal anything. How will we get this guy to curb corruption when his whole election, and previous tour in office, were built on corruption? How can we be operating a clear, build-and-hold strategy that depends on us bringing good governance to ...wait for it...Afghans when the head of the government is so duplicitous?

Lindy said...

I've been reading you since day one and don't regret a moment I've spent here. Happy Blogiversary, Drifty.

Batocchio said...

Happy blogiversary! (I hit 5 later this year, too.) Here's to doing it all wrong!

chautauqua said...

I almost made it through minute 1 of the video.

But I have been here through all of the last five years.

Congratulations!

bluepillnation said...

Drifty, I thank you for the laughs, the catharsis and the inspiration to start writing again (albeit sporadically) - looking forward to the next five with great antici....

...pation.

Cirze said...

Sorry I missed saying "Congrats!" yesterday.

Got some bad news from my family.

But the good news is that you've started the next five!

Never stop telling the truth.

It drive the bad guys nuts and makes the rest of us feel good all over.

Ya can't lose there.

S

P.S. My word verification was "gramenzi." Does this mean "Long Live Driftglass" in Italian?
____________

Asian-American Pundit said...

Congrats!! And might fine five years it has been.

Thanks for all ya do.

Caoimhin Laochdha said...

Hardly a week goes by (or less) that I think back to something Billmon wrote or remember how much I enjoyed his style.

Frequently I have those flashbacks when I read this site. Billmon will always be the Platonic Form of new media expression and you Drifty are among the tiny handful who circle in that orbit.

sláinte,
cl