Tuesday, October 18, 2005

In Colin’s Fields **

In Colin’s fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Colin’s fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Colin’s fields.

**(From "In Flanders Fields" by Lt. Col. John McCrae, M.D. (1872-1918))


It’s not terribly original, but the deja vu-abattoir-Merry-Go-Round waking nightmare that is Iraq has made me so sad for so long that it feels these days like an old and dreadful companion. The monster in the next room that won't be still, won’t let us sleep, and won’t go away.

Americans who used to be horrified enough to call for the end of a conflict if a handful of American soldiers perished, have long since stopped noticing that there is a pre-loaded “Death Box” in every major paper. Like the horoscopes or the crossword or the sports scores, the dailies have set aside a few square inches of holy ground for the numbers of Americans who have died due to George Bush’s folly each and every day.

And it is every day now, isn’t it? Or damned near. A bomb. A picture of smoke and the burnt out husk of a vehicle. The number of dead Iraqis, who might as well be so many Pac Man dots, so little do they matter to us as real, live human beings anymore. Not that they ever did, really.

And the number of dead Americans.

Yesterday we saw this story:

Iraqis Say Civilians Killed in U.S. Raids
Military Asserts Fatalities in West Were Insurgents
By Ellen Knickmeyer

Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, October 18, 2005; A01

BAGHDAD, Oct. 17 -- A U.S. fighter jet bombed a crowd gathered around a burned Humvee on the edge of a provincial capital in western Iraq, killing 25 people, including 18 children, hospital officials and family members said Monday. The military said the Sunday raid targeted insurgents planting a bomb for new attacks.

In all, residents and hospital workers said, 39 civilians and at least 13 armed insurgents were killed in a day of U.S. airstrikes in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province, a Sunni Arab region with a heavy insurgent presence.

The U.S. military said it killed a total of 70 insurgents in Sunday's airstrikes and, in a statement, said it knew of no civilian deaths.

At Ramadi hospital, distraught and grieving families fought over body parts severed by the airstrikes, staking rival claims to what they believed to be pieces of their loved ones.

...
Residents and the U.S. military gave sharply different accounts of the air raid.


And a lot of us probably read right on by.

What the story is describing is a massacre.

When you call in air strikes because you are stretched too thin, or are unwilling to roll in the infantry, and your civilian-to-bad-guy kill-ratio is 3-to-1, that’s a fucking massacre pure and simple.

And it’s the kind of thing that most Americans used to get really furious about.

Of course the straight story is hard to pin down, and what the government said happened “sharply differs” from the accounts of residents. And were this 2000, I might be inclined to believe the government’s account of what happened.

But this is not 2000, and I am not so inclined for the simple reason that the government of my country has done little else but lie to my face every day for the last five years. Lied about every single detail regarding Iraq. Lied about 9/11. Lied about torture. About their cadre of fake reporters hires at taxpayer expense to lie to us more effectively. About Social Security. About FEMA. About global warming. About the budget. About the environment. About Valerie Plame.

Lied about pretty much everything you can possibly lie about, which is exactly the kind of thing that most Americans used to get really furious about.

In fact, we used to impeach people over it.

From Bush I never expected anything other that cowardice and mediocrity, and from Cheney I never expected anything other than bile and theft. They have traversed no moral arc: they started out as despicable and there they have stayed.

But from Powell I expected more.

Powell was the one man in the whole reeking whorehouse I had a little faith in. The one who lent integrity upwards, to those who did not deserve it.

Powell, who knew better enough to starkly warn George Bush of the consequences of being even a little bit wrong, but in the end found it easier to serve a bad President than a good principle. Who allowed himself to be tricked out like a hooker, and turned out on the corner.

Without Powell, there is no Iraq, because there is no one else of sufficient stature to close that deal: Powell the Statesman, reduced to Powell the Salesman, and finally to Powell the Sellout.

Powell is the one who took his beloved military up in his arms, carried them out into the desert, and left them there to be slaughtered.

Powell is the one who has broken “faith with us who die” and the dead -– the civilian women dead, the children dead, the fathers dead, our soldiers dead, ALL the dead -- want to know, Colin, why you have abandoned them?

These tragic ghosts that cannot sleep, though poppies grow
In Colin’s fields.

54 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Exactly. Colin Powell is the one I mourn. His appointment by Bush seemed to be an anomaly - a momentary and accidental drift into sanity. Powell struck me as a man of character, of morals - someone who's hand you could shake without hastily counting your jewelry after. So did McCain, for that matter. The rest are simple whores and thieves, with a goodly dash of psychopaths sprinkled in for additional seasoning and it was apparent from the git go what they were. No surprises there. But Powell seemed different, better, well above the slime he was slogging around in, and his betrayal is all the more cruel because of it.

That said, I think that germ of a human is still alive in him, and that he knows full well the depth of his actions, and suffers for it. I hope so.

Anonymous said...

Re-read your Vietnam war history. Powell was the master of the whitewash for those officers senior to Lt Calley in the My Lai massacre. Thanks to Powell everyone up the chain of command got a free pass. He is what he has always been. Speak not of his beloved army, his love is only to the perfumed princes of rank and the civilians holding the purse strings.

Anonymous said...

Well DANG. I am NOT an Anonymouse, or any other kinda mouse. I mean, I like Cheetos and all, but I haven't lived with my parents for a good 30 years and if I dress funny, it's my own fault. Lesee if I can work out this here signature stuff...

driftglass said...

punkster,
Welcome :-) Anons aren't per se good or bad...just when they lose it loudly and never get it back.

ck,
Valid point, and I don't expect much from politician, but Powell violated his own "Nero/Truth-teller" narrative, while the rest of the Clowns just lived up to theirs. Ditto McCain and his nuzzling up inside the ass of the man who smeared and slimed him.

And Powell stayed dead quiet since he left the gov't, which compounds the crime by an order of magnitude.

Anonymous said...

Bush, Bolton stick it up the Swift Boat Boys' Asses.

Anonymous said...

yes, Powell and McCain, a special place in Hell for them

qwerty said...

To demonstrate how open-minded I was, I used to tell people that there were two Repugnanticans I'd at least consider voting for if they ran for president: Powell and McCain.

I stopped saying it about Powell when he went to the UN and lied for Bush, and I stopped saying it about McCain last year when he toed the party line and supported the man who'd spread black bastard baby lies about him four years earlier.

Anonymous said...

Question: if the majority of the Iraq people want the US to leave, can they still be termed insurgents? Or should we then start naming the minority (who supports the US occupation) collaborators? Just wondering...

Anonymous said...

Needlenose has been suggesting that Powell has been very helpful to Fitzgerald in giving evidence to go after Cheney, so in their own little world they do shank each other.

http://www.needlenose.com/node/view/2113

Not that it helps the dead.

Anonymous said...

Powell has never let an entirely bogus reputation for integrity get in the way of political expedience.

Nick said...

Absolutely brilliant post - it still puzzles me what on earth our Prime Minister thought he was doing when he went along with your idiot government & involved British troops in the invasion: against the advice of his generals, his diplomats, his intelligence agencies, his party & his voters . . .

Neil Shakespeare said...

Beautiful piece. Problem is these bastards are 'crime-a-day' people, and it's hard to remember all the shit they've done. One day's crimes push the previous day's aside. That's their masterplan, I suppose. Count on our short memories by giving us a new horror du jour.

jurassicpork said...

All roads lead to Baghdad.

It amazes me that we think along parallel lines, DG. My next post will be about Iraq, with a Jim Carey tiwst.

(See what you started, you silly twit?)

After a whole month of blogging about almost but Cindy Sheehan (remember her?), it's good to shift gears once in a while.

Thank God for assclowns.

I feel like a kid in a fucking candy store, Drifty. I don't know what to write about, next. Scooter going down, Cheny may be going the Agnew route, Miers about to testify in front of the Committee... So many assclowns, so many scandals, so little Internet time.

Thank God we're not the only bloggers in town.

Anonymous said...

I just emailed my Repub boss that if all of this shit happened in a Dem government, he'd be calling for lynchings on The Mall. (He despises Bush.) What the hell does it take for Repubs to reject, publically, the current Repub Party? Indictments, I guess. I hope the average Repub has seen enough. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

I said it before and I'll say it again, Powell is no saint, just a petrified piece of horse dung dropped in the rock tumbler for a while.

Why? Remember when Clinton was President, before that slavic guy with the hard-to-remember name was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs? It was Powell, and what did he do during the Kosovo Experience? Talk about how what Clinton wanted was damn near impossible, contradicting his orders, basically impeding the CinC's wishes.

To be clear about this, Clinton was President, which makes him Commander in Chief. Powell was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, which makes him a soldier.
Question: When do soldiers contradict their commanders?
Answer: When they're insubordinate.

What most civilians don't understand is how political the officers' corp is. It is very policical. Very.

Thanks
JFP

Anonymous said...

"It is very policical."

And it's even more "political"

JFP

driftglass said...

Just back from a long day working.
Thanks for all the insightful conversation.

Too beat to type anymore than this today, and tomorrow beings in five hours.

Sheesh.

Although I'm not getting shot at in Iraq, and an act of nature hasn't smashed my world and almost everyone in it flat, and some very cool people come around here and share their thoughts. So to be fair, all things considered, I've got it pretty sweet.

g'night.

An Angry Old Broad said...

I just watched the Fog of War a couple of nights ago,there are lots of stunning parallels between Vietnam and Iraq.(nice morph from McNamara to Powell btw)The more things change,the more they stay the same.

I too got fooled by Powell,I figured he'd be the voice of reason until I saw the cartoon pictures he presented to the UN,along with his little bottle of"anthrax".Stage props.I remember thinking at the time "Well,that's it then,we're fucked,and not in a pleasant way either". I threw something at the TeeVee too,there's still a big scratch on the screen to remind me.

jurassicpork said...

A U.S. fighter jet bombed a crowd gathered around a burned Humvee on the edge of a provincial capital in western Iraq, killing 25 people, including 18 children, hospital officials and family members said Monday.

Yeah, I mentioned this on my last Assclowns of the Week because it caught my eye. It was mentioned fleetingly in the article that was more concerned with the referendum than this horrid loss of human life.

I still haven't forgotten that house in Iraq that we'd bombed last January in which we killed 15 people (and several children) and the Pentagon tried to plea-bargain the actual number down to 7 or so.

I was on a conservative blog recently and I mentioned that Bush and his goons have killed upwards of 100,000 innocent Iraqi civilians.

Instead of refuting this, you wouldn't believe what one commentor wrote to me in response:

"100,000 is something 0.04 of the Iraqi population. Nothing to get worked up over."

True blue conservative. Compassionate conservatism in inaction.

God, where do these fucking people come from, DG?

Anonymous said...

jp:

Re your "compassionate conservative": Hey, we can play the percentage game, too! 3000 victims of 9/11/2001 divided by ~250,000,000 U.S. population is .000012, or roughly one thousandth of one percent.

So what's the big deal? "Nothing to get worked up over", right?

I'd say the time's long overdue for "compassionate conservative" to replace "military intelligence" as the archetypal oxymoron.

jurassicpork said...

prof fate:

But... but... 58,000+ 'murricans were killed in Vietnam over 14 years, which is more per year than we've killed in Iraq.

So, there!

Yeah, the 3000 deaths on 9/11 occured to me but you know what?

Life's too short for these assclowns. Although sometimes... sometimes...

jurassicpork said...

Btw, this is my take on the Iraq war, so far.

It would've been longer and much more in depth but we had a family crisis last night and this morning (actually a couple) that's just winding down.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Colin spoke regretfully of having "to live with" his fucking U.N. dog-and-pony show.

I imagine he's tormented by his dreams (nightmares?) of walking down a long, long, hall, with the oval office clearly visible at the end, but receding faster than he can walk OR run.

And then, there are all the Iraqis, and the "coalition of the unquick", who no longer have to "live with" the great Phineas Taylor Barnum WMD circus, but, simply, "died with it"....

eRobin said...

Great post, but I'm with everyone upthread who've got Powell's number. He's a hack and he's always been a hack with no integrity to lose since his part in My Lai.

CK had it:

Speak not of his beloved army, his love is only to the perfumed princes of rank and the civilians holding the purse strings.

Anonymous said...

There you go again, With the so-called bitching of spamming.

Unknown said...

Good post

Anonymous said...

RSS Announcer instantly and automatically submits your RSS feeds

Leif Wheeler said...

Hey, Great Blog!
Your visitors may also enjoy visiting this site.
consolidation loan

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am really impressed by your knowledge of making a family budget. I would love to know what you think of my site about making a family budget. Please take a look and tell me what you think here making a family budget

Anonymous said...

can i get more info?

Anonymous said...

Open the door to the world. that's the magic of the Internet. Your blog is very nice and I am happy to post here. Searching for lots of stuff today. Bug spray, tents, purses, spy glasses. It's just fun to see what comes up.

Anonymous said...

Aloha, I'm just a retiree from Hawaii surfing around the net and looking for
interesting blogs. Came across your blog and thought I 'd say hello.
Keep up the good work. Mahala.

Regards,
Ponti


bad credit debt consolidation

Anonymous said...

Hi there blog owner! I am searching blogs to find information and sources to help with my website:http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com/horse_games.html My site is fairly new about 8 months old and have a google pr of 3 and get about 50 people a day to visit. My site has adams horse and pet supply and is all affiliate merchandise.
I have been in MLM companys for the past 8 years offline mainly and have never made a dime. This is a new frontier for my wife and I and don't have very much experience but a friend suggested searching blogs to get ideas about how people sale and also what kind of information they offer their customers and clients. We are begining to make some good money selling adams horse and pet supply related articles but I also want to offer my customers some quality information to go along with good deals. If you make it to my site and can offer some constructive critisizm I will take it into consideration or if you have some ideas it will be greatly appreciated. Remember we are on a budget and we do all the work ourselves.

Thank you for your time.
Prosperous Regards,
adams horse and pet supply

Anonymous said...

I really like the last couple of comments.Cashing out, just finished my report on debt consolidation services.Working hard,debt consolidation services.

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to what you're going through your mind. John Tacker

Anonymous said...

nice information

Anonymous said...

Hi, Thank you for having this info on the web. I enjoyed your post. If you may have any interest in
debt consolidation Debt Consolidation loan
then I know where you may get your solution. For your comfort, I have enclosed the link, so if needed you can visit the site. Thanks again for your lovely blog

Anonymous said...

Thanks for creating this blog, aren't these a great place to express whatever you feel

Regards,

dog lover clothing

Anonymous said...

Meandering thru the blogs has lead me here, thank you for the interesting read.

Fellow blogger,

apparel for dog lover

Anonymous said...

I agree about 75% with the last comment.To much blogging, back to writing my thesis on consolidation debt most reputable service.A New Starter,consolidation debt most reputable service.

Anonymous said...

I agree about 75% with the last comment.To much blogging, back to writing my thesis on new york debt consolidation service.A New Starter,new york debt consolidation service.

Anonymous said...

Tell me more about that last remark. I am not sure I fully understand.Need to finish my paper on consolidation service debt settlement.Great time,consolidation service debt settlement.

Anonymous said...

Already starting to get ready for another hurricane season in Florida. Starts in June. Not sure how it will effect my real estate work. Tough business right now. So I enjoy taking a break and seeing what other people are up to. Enjoyed visiting your blog. Visit my site if you have a chance.

Anonymous said...

Blogging is not always a rewarding journey, but I ran across yours on this trip and it was a good break from my own real estate work. Thanks. Keep up the interesting work and visit my site if you have a chance.

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my sub prime financing site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a stolen credit cards site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my arm mortgage rates site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a bad credit bankruptcy personal loan
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my bad credit florida mortgage ocala site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit home mortgage site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a bad credit interest only mortgage site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit mortgage lenders site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... »