Tuesday, March 19, 2019

David Sirota To Bring His Mad Ninja Skillz to the Sanders Campaign



So Jill Stein flack from The Intercept --

-- and The Intercept Wannabe guy are going to run coms for Bernie Sanders.
What makes this especially perfect is that it comes almost exactly ten years after Mr. Sirota's tearful, smarmy Letter of Resignation from The Internets.  Ironically, OpenLeft, where this was originally published, has gone the way of all flesh.  But thanks to the amazing Blue Gal and her magical ways with the Internet Wayback Machine, Mr. Sirota's kiss goodbye to political activism and writing as the work of intellectually unserious goofs who will never live up to his standards will live forever:
In Case You Think I'm Dead and Gone...
by: David Sirota
Mon May 18, 2009 at 17:12

So a brief programming note: May 31st, 2009 will be my last day as a full-time political blogger, and, really, my last day as a full-time political writer of any sort. This is (obviously) a major change for me. 

After long discussions/deliberations with various members of my trusted Kitchen Cabinet (which includes, among others, Chris Bowers), I'm making a bunch of career moves/adjustments, admittedly very quickly and very abruptly (that's how I roll, I guess). If you care what this means - whether because you are interested in my work, in OpenLeft in general, or just out of voyeuristic pleasure - read on. If you don't care, skip this post, move on, and try, if you can, to control your desire to snipe in the comments section. 

From May 31st to June 17th, I will be Mostly Off the Grid on stateside trips to conferences (the America's Future Now conference in particular) and at the Jersey Shore with family. From June 18th to July 12th, I will be Completely Off the Grid in China. When I get back, I will no longer be employed by the Campaign for America's Future and my role here at OpenLeft will be reduced to the Morning Blogger - that is, I will be posting one post a day in the morning, and that's it. Additionally, I am curtailing most of - and likely all of - my direct political activism indefinitely.
...

The reason for this change is fairly simple: I'm in need of something more creative, and I want to get back to the basics of writing. It is my passion, it is what I love - and I am interested in more than just the hard-core political world, whose media (blogospheric/magazines/TV shows/etc.) and activist outlets in the Dear Leader Era I believe are becoming less and less creative, more and more sycophantic, and ultimately, completely unstimulating.*

I say that with an asterisk, though - and that asterisk is In These Times and OpenLeft. Those are two of the few places where I think generally creative and bold-thinking writing is still being done - by journalists, front-pagers, diarists and commenters. That's why, in fact, I am going to keep writing on a limited basis for both...
So that never happened.  At all.  Instead Mr. Sirota went almost immediately into the lucrative business of slagging Barack Obama as Worse Than Boosh!

Well the years pass, and the Sanders campaign is free to hire whoever it believes gives them the best chance of winning.  So perhaps, to demonstrate their commitment to transparency and good faith, since they're apparently never gonna release ten years of Senator Sanders' taxes, the very least they could do would be something like, say, releasing the last ten years of Mr. Sirota Tweets, warts and all.

Oops.

Never mind.

Also this:





Behold, a Tip Jar!

5 comments:

jsrtheta said...

Well, there goes any hope of truth emanating form the Bernie Machine.

Sirota said writing is his passion? Funny. I thought it was lying.

Lawrence said...

I was a Bernie guy last time. Yes, I voted for HRC in the general, happy to do it. I even gave her campaign money a couple of times. And I had never done that before. But I think Bernie has done his job by changing the conversation. Now I always liked Elizabeth Warren best. I was told by HRC partisans last round that No, this absolutely did not absolve me of my obvious misogyny for preferring someone other than HRC. Reasons. But my first choice is taking a shot this time. So I like that. But again, there's Biden and fucking Beto O'Rourke sucking all the air out of the room. Obviously the courtier press does not want an actual FDR Democrat on the ticket. They just want to go back to the way things were. But there's no going back. And I do not like this Bidenmentum Steve M is writing about. Even if it is just anecdotal.

jsrtheta said...

Have you ever reported for a newspaper or worked in electronic media? The "courtier press" just wants stories. They really don't care about who wins. Seriously.

Robt said...

I recall Al Franken on the Air America who regularly brought on guest David Sirota. Who always projected a smugness of a Discipline GURU of the ideology of facts with no nuance.
Franken enjoyed teasing him in discussions.
Sirota has been around a while and has made tread marks for police to make molds of to track down.

Your right, if Sirota can provide fast response comms with quip also in detail that is meaningful and strengthens Sanders campaign. countering the Trump kindergarten level Trump opposition. Well, I am for it and not against it.
You point out that Sirota pointed out disagreements with Obama and focused on where he did not perceive. Criticism can be overcome but feeding the right with hate filled substance knowingly is not progressing.

There is one thing in particular I see in Sanders that I am looking for in the other candidates.
Something Beto for instance (not only him) have expressed. "I will work with republicans".
I want the Teddy Roosevelt or FDR approach to the republican party.

Not just because they have it coming. That they will obstruct their "perceived" enemy every which way possible with no restraint.

They don't think Obama tried to work with republicans over the Judge Merrick Garland nomination?

VonWenk said...

Did Sirota have a show on Air America Saturday nights or Sunday afternoons.

Regarding Sirota's farewell post: "Smarmy" is right. It reads like a low-rent Turkish version Walter Cronkite signing off from The CBS Evening News for the last time. Although, to be fair, that part about political commentary becoming more sycophantic than creative sounded "truthy."