Saturday, January 17, 2009

Thank You


So I went to that place on the corner where they do the dogs just so and the mustard’ll Mike-Brady-perm your nose hairs, puffed out my chest, and asked: “Hey, any discounts for, say, recent weblog award winners?”
“What the fuck is a fuckin’ 'wee blahj'?"

So no joy there.

At the Dirty Hippy joint?
“Fuck you. Narc.”

The drink-slinger absently planing condensation rings and peanut shells off the bar at the Irish pub?

“Whoozat? Blagoozavitze’s cousin?”

"Sweet, slam-dancing Jebus," I wept. "In a world where no country but Iceland honors web-based awards as legal tender, how could we expect the global economy to have gone any direction but tits-up?!"

And trudging home -- dogless, un-fair-trade-coffeed and undrunk through a Chicago winter cold enough to suspend atomic motion -- I discovered one place where being a 2008 Weblog Award honoree counts for something.

Turns out here at the castle, it means a lot.

It means that people I respect and admire in a community that has accepted me as a member think enough of what I do and how I do it to stop by and give me a pat on the ass. And to those of us out here in the tall grass of the digital exurbs, that exchange -- irrespective of contests and awards -- counts for so very much.

There are a lot of people to thank, but I want to single out the sentimental favorite for Best Liberal Blog in any arena, the cruel terminatrix of Taylor Marsh’s dreams of glory, and the Digital Den Mother to half the dirty hippies in New Gauchington, our own Blue Gal.

Thank you, BG!

Many thanks, too, to Shakes and the denizens of Shakesville.

To the whole crew at Crooks and Liars: that Big Blog with the Little Blog touch where I hang out sometimes.

To the General, whose het-abulous manliness is the towering tree in which the rest of us build our treasonous nests.

To Rawrahs (and his lady fair).

To the indispensable Jon Swift.

To Ms. Susie Bright, writer extraordinaire.

To the cats and kittens at the Group News Blog.

To the other, overlapping clowder (look it up) of cats and kittens at Fighting Liberals, where I post from time to time.

To the splendid Mock, Paper, Scissors.

To every last hussein at Brilliant at Breakfast.

To the filthy bastid ‘Ristocrats.

To Bill “Absolutely Not Safe For Work Unless You’re Larry Flynt” in Exile.

To FranIAm

To Darkblack (whose Sekrit Tribal Name is He-who-hath-stolen-the-Devil’s-Own-Photoshoppe-grimoire (look it up))

To Phydeaux and Phriends

To the Ornery Bastard

To Last Left B4 Hooterville

To Welcome back to Pottersville

To Impeachment and Other Dreams

To Wonkette and Sadly, No!, whose ICBM throw weight made such a huge difference.

To Mike, the Mad Biologist.

To Yoga Korunta

To “Berwyn Talk Forum”.

To Swimming Freestyle.

To the Pajama Pundit.

Thanks to Lindsay at the mighty Majikthise for her skill and wow.

Thanks to The Anchoress for her gracious comment.

Thanks to the late Steve Gilliard, blogger of the First Water, who kicked my ass out of the nest and got me started doing this stuff.

Thanks to my astonishing family and that cadre of dear friends who also know me in civilian life and keep my secrets.

I’m sure I missed a bunch of people because, well, (to steal from Digby, as we all do) I’m dead inside. So forgive me that, and accept my thanks.

And now, on with the circus…

Best,

driftglass.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMmmm. . . Happily Left of centrally located in the bunch of missed admirers, We grovelers at USojo still can slobber with the best of yur rabid FANnatical followers, and point out what a consummate gentleman you are even after you've brutally laid waste to teh otehr "wee blahjs."
You deserve it, bro. Thanks for everything you do.

Now customize that ugly purple 'n pumice placard with some DG goodness before we do it for you.

Anonymous said...

You are so welcome DG, I never fail to be amazed at your writing and photochopping skills. You'd get a free cold beer in my joint anytime, or a hot joint, your pref.

Keep up the good works.

ps, is this award in any way related to your decreased use of the word 'poo?'

Anonymous said...

Thank you Drifty. Steve brought me here, and I will always be grateful.
Love your stuff.

darkblack said...

Blue Gal's cross-face clothesline on Taylor late in the 4th quarter took her helmet right off - NFL Films, take note - it's a highlight reel moment.
...
Sometimes the good guys win.

Congratulations to one of the finest modern writers I've had the privilege to read, D.

Now, don' leddit go to youse fuckin' head, awright

;>)

Anonymous said...

I also award you the exalted rank of Scissorhead First Class. Now there's one you can frame and hang on the wall with pride!

You deserved it. Hands down (but visible, please).

Regards,

Tengrain

Rehctaw said...

It puts the lotion on its skin!

Anytime you're in the vicinity of the west end of the blue and/or red lines, you are entitled to a liter and a half of nicely aging single malt from the Driftglass shelf. A CLEAN glass. Ice and water upon request.

More than enough to put you in your triumphantly celebratory cups. There are many fine gin mills within staggering distance with a slightly different measure of cups.

On any given night, I'm sure your award would swoon and awe them into many enjoyable compromising positions.

This stands as an open invitation.

Your victory also entitles you to the following: late night ride privileges in Crook, Dupage, Kane, Will or Lake Counties, immediate rescue from dire straits (with appropriate logistical support for extractions), a hide-out, safe-house(s) and whatever resources are at my disposal. This also includes post-haste bailing out services.

Void where prohibited by topography. Contents may settle during shipment.

So you got that going for you.

Fran / Blue Gal said...

What makes me laugh so hard is that The Opinionated Catholic considers me and anyone else who drummed up votes for you to be part of the vast Obama Internet Conspiracy.

What would they think if they knew I'm actually part of the not-so-vast Kucinich Internet Collective?

Oh well.

(Love on you Driftglass. You're the best writer in New Gauchington. xoxo)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, dg. You deserved the award and all the ones you've won in the past.

Anonymous said...

Well, congratulations!! And what REALLY blows my mind is the fact that I'm browsing and commenting on Saturday the 17th and yet you posted this on Monday January 19th... Wow! Let's do the time warp again...sometime!

mark hoback said...

Kristol, Krauthammer, all of the K's as a matter of fact (including Kafka, Kierkegaard, and Kitty Kelly), they all send this video, kurtesy of Kostello.

http://www.youtube.comwatch?v=7OR25MqPWuc

Caoimhin Laochdha said...

Gracious.

Well Deserved.

< < clapping > >

slainte,
cl

Anonymous said...

I don't comment very often but I do stop by daily. Got a file folder full of prints of some of your posts right between Steve's and Billmon's folders. This award is much deserved. Congrats.

mikefromtexas

Fran / Blue Gal said...

A fix on Hoback's link. (perfect as usual, Hoback)

Anonymous said...

Brownian motion endures even in the depths of Chicago winter, although air molecules are bitter and unwilling, and get even by inflicting maximum pain upon any animate or inanimate object they happen to meet.

So after you finally listen to the ghost of Orien Samuelson and junk your car at Victory, get up off your laurels and put up a friggin' tipjar. No more excuses. You're the best at what you do. It's what Steve would tell you to do. Every fine citizen of da great State 'a Chicago knows appreciation is best expressed with small, unmarked, non-sequential bills. You're in this for a while yet, so stop cheating by keeping us from getting our hooks in and putting some skin in the game. And remember the last words of The Hunger Artist? Whether you accept it or not, you're the best. If you stop blogging, I'll have to start. It'll be ugly. I just might ruin the internets.

One other thing. If you get a friendly pat on the tochis from BG, give her one back for me.

Scott said...

Congrats! You are the best and you've got the fuckin' trophy (of sorts) to prove it.

Anonymous said...

Tho itz all about the journey,
after the last California mile..

and over in alter-ego universe,
DG, BG, and SteveG bring it on home..

slainte'!

Anonymous said...

Congrats driftglass! It's a well-deserved award. And yes, it is extremely unfortunate that we are unable to hock our wee-sidebar badges for anything substantial. Onward!

Thanks for the shout!

Fran said...

So glad that you were recognized. You so richly deserve this.

Now that was my primary reason for promoting the hell out of your race.

That said, as a woman and as a Catholic, that Anchoress is an abomination to me.

That you two were even in the same competition is beyond me.

Bill said...

We loved you before the awards. Stay strong... fame can corrupt the spirit.

Let me be frank and remind you: you did it... your way...!

Anonymous said...

I feel proud to have done my humble part with my vote. I can think of no higher compliment than:

"Damn, I wish I had thought of that!"

Selah.

CAGary

Phil said...

Fuckin' A Jack, I would buy you a drink with my last nickel.

Good on ya man, it is so well deserved.

Myrtle June said...

Yes! Blue Gal ROCKS!!! :-)

I'm firmly ensconced in my San Diego digs for two weeks.... right now sitting on the patio, bare feet and shorts.... ahhhhhhh. Sounds from the Gas Lamp District just outside this courtyard and I must go investigate! The long drive and the afternoon at Dog Beach/Ocean Beach and my dog is a sweeeeeeeeeeeeetie! So had to tune in to say a BIG official YOU DESERVE IT, Driftglass!!!

YOU ROCK!!

Anonymous said...

yay!

David Aquarius said...

Congrats, Driftglass. Well deserved and well received. Damn, you're good.

Let's hope your sanity is contagious.

Since my blog has been getting a few more visitors than just myself and my pet squirrel, I've added your name to the list. It may take a year or two, but someone may find their way here from my little dusty corner of oblivion.

Fantod said...

Congratulations, driftglass!

From a lurker who voted for ya.

Anonymous said...

I second Stony Pillow. Many congratulations. I emptied my cache for you many, many times.

NOW PUT UP A F-ING TIP JAR. By Grabthar's Hammer, man, we are BEGGING to give you money! People with NO money are begging to give you money. Hello!!! McFly!! Tip Jar...

Una Walsh said...

Congratulations Drifty, I'll pat your ass anytime.Living just 40 miles from the Bushmills own self I'll buy you one anytime you're in the neighbourhood. Úna

Anonymous said...

Congrats, drifty. My mom's originally from Chicago, so we know vote early and often.

And because I can't resist a "Wire" reference... Bushmills? That's Protestant whisky.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, drifty, you set the bar higher with every post, and as the last hussein at B@B, I thank you for it.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you're the fucking best!

Now make sure you hold the O Man's feet to the fire!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats drifty. I remember when...

WereBear said...

I voted early, I voted often!

Wear it proudly.