Thursday, April 28, 2005

U.S. Energy Policy Part II.


Trofim Denisovich Lysenko sez: your Energy Policy is ready Mr. President. Posted by Hello

Part Two is the fun flip side of the Evolution issue, or what happens when dim-bulbed people who have a fundamental(ist) contempt for science get to sit in the Big Chair. It’s what happens when your religion requires that your higher brain functions be obliterated and yanked out of your skull with a crochet needle…

This from Akhet Egyptology:


“When a body was mummified the internal organs were usually preserved in some way. This was not true of the brain which was often just discarded. This was usually done by inserting a hook up the nose and using it to slice up and remove the brain tissue, with the cavity then being washed out.”
Sure sounds like Fundy Sunday schools to me.

And once your ability to reason has been fragged, bagged and tagged, all you are left with as a tool for comprehending the world is the faux virtual illumination of superstition. Like the drunk that looks for his car keys a block from where he dropped them because the light is better, once rationality has been blotted out, anyone can be led anywhere by any unscrupulous bastard with a single, flickering birthday candle.

So to understand the Fundy (and hence, the White House) take on Science, you have to understand that they don’t just hate it…they fear it.

It is the means by which their whole ignorant medieval, voodoo cult theology can come crashing down, because the single, Jesus Bolt holding the whole contraption of Biblical Literalism together is that none of the faithful are allowed to even contemplate the possibility that the Bible is factually wrong about anything.

Doesn’t matter how tiny or seemingly trivial it may be (like the Spinning Mary in the Garden of Gethsemane), they are barred from any admission of any error of any kind…because if they admit one, then who’s to say there aren’t two? And then ten? And then soon nobody’s upending their changes purses into the Love Buckets, and no one’s signing over their Social Security checks to Big Jerry’s Wee Church o’ the Holy Odium.

And much worse than the fiscal downside, these fuckers actually do believe the shit they trowel out like it's, well, The Gospel :-) Their whole persona -- their whole self -- rests completely on caissons sunk a mile deep into the Literalist bedrock of their faith. Science (Hell, basic critical thinking skills) prowls around them night and day, threatening to destroy them and threatening to drag others down into the febrile swamp of Sinful Secular Science.

They’ll die to protect their delusions. And they’ll kill anyone who tries to take them away.

They are stranded one bad precedent and bad thought away from hard slide down a terminally slippery slope, so no admission of any glitch, no matter how microscopic can be tolerated, which means they can never get close enough grasp what science is, and what it isn’t. So for them, Science is Magic. Incomprehensible, probably evil, but certainly Magic, and since it's Magic, there is no reason why it can’t grant any wish at all. And no reason why its wizards shouldn't be made to bend in any political direction at all.

Which is why Stalin liquidated a whole lot of his scientists who made the mistake of advocating, well, science, and promoted the likes of Trofim Denisovich Lysenko.

Which is the kind of stunningly idiotic paralogia we see burbling out of the Bush White House on virtually every issue, but especially on energy matters.

This snipped from the Skeptic’s Dictionary summarizes the Lysenkoism pretty well.
Lysenkoism refers to an episode in Russian science featuring a non-scientific peasant plant-breeder named Trofim Denisovich Lysenko [1898-1976]. Lysenko was the Leading proponent of Michurianism during the Lenin/Stalin years. I. V. Michurin, in turn, was a proponent of Lamarckism...According to Lamarck, evolution occurs because organisms can inherit traits which have been acquired by their ancestors.
...
Lamarckism is favored by those who see will as the primary driving force of life, e.g., the 20th century French philosopher Henri Bergson. Darwinism, or natural selection, is hated by many of those who believe God created everything and everything has a purpose: the fundamentalist teleologists of the world.
...
[Michurin's] views on evolution found favor with the party leadership in the Soviet Union. When the rest of the scientific world were pursuing the ideas of Mendel and developing the new science of genetics, Russia led the way in the effort to prevent the new science from being developed in the Soviet Union. Thus, while the rest of the scientific world could not conceive of understanding evolution without genetics, the Soviet Union used its political power to make sure that none of their scientists would advocate a genetic role in evolution.

It was due to Lysenko's efforts that many real scientists, those who were geneticists or who rejected Lamarckism in favor of natural selection, were sent to the gulags or simply disappeared from the USSR. Lysenko rose to dominance at a 1948 conference in Russia where he delivered a passionate address denouncing Mendelian thought as "reactionary and decadent" and declared such thinkers to be "enemies of the Soviet people" (Gardner 1957). He also announced that his speech had been approved by the Central Committee of the Communist Party. Scientists either groveled, writing public letters confessing the errors of their way and the righteousness of the wisdom of the Party, or they were dismissed. Some were sent to labor camps. Some were never heard from again.

Under Lysenko's guidance, science was guided not by the most likely theories, backed by appropriately controlled experiments, but by the desired ideology. Science was practiced in the service of the State, or more precisely, in the service of ideology. The results were predictable: the steady deterioration of Soviet biology. Lysenko's methods were not condemned by the Soviet scientific community until 1965, more than a decade after Stalin's death.
Sound familiar? Tediously, nauseatingly, “I can’t believe anyone brighter than crab lice could really fall for this drivel” familiar?

Well, welcome inside the Fundy Biosphere at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, where once inconvenient science is banished, any crazy shit goes as long as the Dear Leader wishes it to be so.

And then, since it’s all just magic, the True Believers all drool over the idea of a pure, theocratic state where Demon Science is finally caged and enslaved and can be tasked with granting each and every one of their deprave desires. Smartass science, that has always made the inbred homunculi of the Right Wing feel impotent and inferior, can at last be made to kneel and grovel and beg and say whatever the fuck Jerry Falwell tells it to say and do whatever the fuck George Bush wishes it to do.

That Creationism is the one and only Truth.

That the whole of the Cosmos is an illusion.

That Global Warming is a Bad Magic chimera made up by crafty, America-hating liberals.

And that Technology is Good Magic and can save us from the laws of cause and effect.

And just to repeat it yet again, if you are a Moderate Republican, you are specifically and personally responsible for this insanity.

42 comments:

Mister Roboto said...

Well, I think it bears pointing out that fundamentalist skeptics can be irrational, neurotic wankers, too. I would not argue, however, that the red-state fundies are a lot more irrational and that their neurotic wankerism is that which presents the greatest threat to the health of the republic and to the general welfare.

Mister Roboto said...

Oops! I meant to say that I would not argue against the second contention in my above comment, so I should have said I would not dispute that etc., etc.

Eli said...

Well, science is all about uncovering reality - what could be more anti-Republican than that?

driftglass said...

loveandlight,
True enough: In fact some of the nuttiest folks I've met have been via, say, the Mensa circle. However I also agree that "guy furiously asking ridiculous questions about the hull integrity of a neutronium-jacketed spacecraft" is annoying, while "Senior Cabinet Official Fundy Wingnut" makes me wake up in a cold sweat.

Anonymous said...

I think it's also worth mentioning that -- although the teaching of genetics suffered in the U.S.S.R. -- they still managed to produce some brilliant work in other fields, like aeronautics and physics. The Party definitely had an ideological bug up its butt over Mendalian genetics, mostly because they preferred to believe that human nature could be forcibly remade by the proper system.

The worst you can say about the Lysenkoists is that they continued to cling to an ideologically-driven theory about a mechanism of evolution, in the face of a mounting body of negative evidence. They didn't deny the fossil record, or believe the Earth was only 6,000 years old.

The Biblical Literalists, on the other hand, really do have a Medievalist attitude toward Science (and just about everything else). Their greatest enemy is creative thinking, period, except in its most trivial and utilitarian applications.

In that sense, they have a far more dire impact on education in this country than Lysenkoism ever did in Soviet Russia.

driftglass said...

prof fate,
True. Too true.

Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed

Unknown said...

Man there is alot of comment spam I have noticed. Is there any way to remove it from the blogs?

Anonymous said...

Hi, sorry to intrude but could you please refer me to an online pharmacy that can be trusted. Thank you and good luck with your blog.

Anonymous said...

I have, like 3 minutes, to type this, but I just wanted to say thanks for the good blog. I like to search for different things on the net. My boredom led me to search for car part san antonio the other day, and it led me to to total obscurity. Never know about he SE's.

Anonymous said...

Non ho avuto una probabilit� parlare con il mio socio a tale proposito.Genuinely, Shandi Manhattan cosmetic surgery

Anonymous said...

Wat zijn er bang van te zijn?Genuinely, Evangelina texas abdominoplasty

Anonymous said...

What's there to be afraid of?So long, Kandis african american rhinoplasty

Anonymous said...

Er zijn waarschijnlijk weinig plaatsen die dit beter dan dit doen.Toodle-oo, Joi cosmetic surgery

Anonymous said...

Ich habe auch einen Aufstellungsort auf bariatric surgery west chester ohio, aber sein nicht au�erdem zusammengef�gt als Ihr.Adieu, Edna bariatric surgery west chester ohio

Anonymous said...

Great blog. In case you care to know, I was searching for trace adkins honky-ton and your blog came up. I am glad I found it though.

Very nice.

Anonymous said...

It is great fun to read all these good blogs. Your's is very nice. I have been looking for information about is a high protein diet bad for your kidneys and have not really found it anywhere but here: http://atkinsdiet.find-it-first.biz

Has anyone else seen it elsewhere?

Anonymous said...

I blij is er een plaats om over beaumont cosmetic surgery. Dank te spreken voor het hebben van het.Compliments, Morris beaumont cosmetic surgery

Anonymous said...

Je suppose que quand il vient aux personnes diff�rentes du wedding planning idea ayez les diff�rents besoins.Best Wishes, Shaquita wedding planning idea

Anonymous said...

good info

Anonymous said...

good info

Anonymous said...

Es gibt definitiv etwas �ber es da� Interessen ich.Good Wishes, Sherell boca raton gastric bypass surgery

Anonymous said...

Fasting can make you look much thinner in only a couple of days. You may not lose a significant amount of weight, but it will look like you have. It can make your waist noticeable thinner and clean up blemishes or skin problems.
Link to this site. woman healthy weight loss

Anonymous said...

You may not be able to take Didrex, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.

Anonymous said...

If you are over 65 years of age, you may be more likely to experience side effects from Pentazocine/Naloxone. Your doctor may prescribe a lower dose of the medication.

Anonymous said...

Hello! While I was searching for info on as seen on tv diet I somehow landed here. I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for as seen on tv diet. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I 110% agree with the last few comments. This blog has great opinions and this is why I continue to visit, thanks! Mr.Hoodia diet

Anonymous said...

I am going to add a link on my site if you dont mind. Excellent work on this personal blog. If you want to you could take a look at my website and let me know if you like it. augmentation advice

Anonymous said...

Hey man you have a really extreme personal blog here. I have just added you to my firm favourites and will defintely come back again soon. I would appreciate it if you took a look at my site and told me what you think. augmentation advice

Anonymous said...

I am going to tell my family about this personal blog. Where do you get your ideas from. Perhaps you will want to take a look at my personal blog and give me an idea how to improve it. breast augmentation advice

Anonymous said...

I have just added you to my firm favourites and will defintely come back again soon. Hey man you have a really excellent blog here. I would like it if you took a peek at my site and told if you like it. help stop smoking

Anonymous said...

Just checking out blogs, and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam I DON'T but if they don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... I also have some of the most informative sites on yoga and baby gifts and baby showers. Hope you enjoy. Thank you.wedding vows children

wedding vows children

Anonymous said...

Just checking out blogs, and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam I DON'T but if they don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... I also have some of the most informative sites on yoga and baby gifts and baby showers. Hope you enjoy. Thank you for your time.wedding blessings

wedding blessings

Anonymous said...

Hey, I 110% agree with the last few comments. This blog has great opinions and this is why I continue to visit, thanks! Ms. San Diego weight loss surgery

Anonymous said...

Good comments. But, I do not agree with most of them. People sure have a lot of time on their hands.

blogsurfer said...

Hi, I found your site while looking for wedding planning and wedding gift ideas. Even though you didn't have exactly what I was looking for I did get some ideas. Check out my link here if you need any wedding info/ideas for your use. You'd be surprised how cheap some of these items really are. I sure was!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have to say that your blog hits the spot!
I was out looking for information on rash guard but found your post to be far more interesting than what I was looking for. Quite a good job you're doing on your site here... I'm thinking about making a blog about rash guard I want to make it look like yours here. If you have any tips or secrets maybe you could share :)

It was great to visit your blog, thanks.

Anonymous said...

fat burner I have found a proven way anyone can lose weight within a week, without any crazy dieting. This product is a no-nonsense solution for obesity. People just like you are losing weight right now! Stop worrying about being overweight, Start living your life the way YOU want to! - Please visit fat burner

Anonymous said...

Nice blog you have. Recently I created a site about Make Money Online and would love you to take a look to see what you think

Anonymous said...

loved the content of your site. Please feel free to visit mine at hypnosis spiral

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my used car seattle site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hello. I was just browsing the web to find information about las vegas wedding for my site.You can find it at: http://www.forevervows.comTake care!Jimlas vegas wedding