Thursday, January 10, 2008

PhysioProf Speaks His Mind.




Just as I was sitting here in a puddle of my own sweat wondering how-oh-how am I gonna get a late-afternoon post together AND give myself that at-home pedicure and wax I had promised myself, a mysterious stranger slipped something over the transom...


From PhysioProf:

Speaking of journamalism, while I was in the gym this morning, I watched some of a show (as much as I could stand without ripping the arm handles off the machine I was working out on) called "Morning Joe". It seems that the guy who runs the show is called Joe Scarboro, and he has a female sidekick called Mica something-or-other. Here are a few thoughts that ran through my head while I watched. (I'll leave out the vast majority of the "are you fucking kidding me!?"s.)

(1) The mode of verbal discourse on this show was like a group of 14-year-old high-school girls sitting in one of their bedrooms giggling and fawning over each other and figuring out which of their other friends is cool and which is icky. Joe and his sidekick made all sorts of little oblique inside references to personal characteristics of one another with lots of eye rolls and giggles.

Jesus Fucking Christ! This is what passes for a news show!? It was like fucking Tiger Beat on teevee.

(2) The corporatist agenda is so transparent, it's hard to imagine that anyone sees these jokers as anything other than shameless shills. Joe and his sidekick were discussing the economic outlook with their "economic correspondent at the Stock Exchange" (i.e., another 14-year-old sitting on the edge of the lace-trimmed bed in the room with pictures of Scott Baio on the wall).
The question they were addressing was what the Fed is going to do: (a) keep lowering interest rates so that "the economy grows", but at the expense of "inflation", or (b) don't lower interest rates, which keeps "inflation" in check, but at the expense of "growth".

Let's analyze what this economic jargon really means to real people, and then see if you can guess what 14-year-old Scott Baio fan thought was the best fucking thing to do for the "economy".

Option (a): "Keep lowering interest rates so the economy grows, but inflation rises". This means keep floating cheap money to the already-rich so they can continue feeding their compulsive gambling addiction to the financial markets, while poor and middle-class people on fixed incomes keep paying more and more for the shit they need to survive.

Option (b): "Keep interest rates steady to stabilize inflation, but at the expense of growth". This means make the rich stand pat with the grotesque wealth they already have wrested over the last decade from the pockets of the poor and middle-class, so that these poor and middle-class people can survive on their fixed incomes and the piddly wealth they still have left.

Do I need to tell you what was best for "the economy"?

(3) Piece de resistance: Jonah "Doughy Fucking Pantload" Goldberg was "interviewed" about his "analysis" of current Republican electoral prospects and his "book", "Liberal Fascism". I won't even go near the latter, as it has been necropsied at length by my blogosphere betters. I will say a few words, however, about the former.

Joe and his sidekick asked Doughload why he thought Republican Party electoral prospects are so completely, utterly, totally, gobsmackingly fucked. Doughpants said, and I swear on a stack of "Liberal Fascism" I am not shitting you, "Conservatives are victims of their own success".

Conservatives are Victims of Their Own Success!!??!! The mind boggles.

No more "TeeVee News" for me, I tell you what.


Methinks PhysioProf needs a blog.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just as the late, great Steve Gilliard spawned bloglings, so too is it time for driftglass to bring forth the fruit of his keyboard in the form of little bloglings of his own. How dear. I hope the waxing works.

Phil said...

Me thinks you're right, he has no valid excuse, like I said. AND...
I gave him .....the link...
BWAAHAAHAAHAHAHA!

Phil said...

Damn nice of you to give him his very own, way cool, avatar, too.

res ipsa loquitur said...

economic correspondent at the Stock Exchange

Must have been Erin Burnett, a/k/a "La Bella Fascista." Her corporatist agenda is beyond transparent. Favorite Burnett moment came when the lead-laced Chinese toy recalls were big news. She read the report, all the while scowling. When it was over she and Scarborough had the following exchange:

La Bella: "Joe, let me ask you something. When you were little, did you play with toy soldiers?"

Scarborough: "Yes."

La Bella: "Were they lead soldiers?"

Scarborough: "Yes, Erin. I believe they were."

La Bella: (Smiles in a way that communicates "I rest my case")

It's like that every morning on "Morning Joke."

Welcome to my world.

res ipsa loquitur said...

(Sorry, Scarborough is the show I love to hate ...)

Mika is "Mika Brezinski," daughter of Zbigniew. The only time the show takes a turn for the better is when Zbig is on. Mika is cute, but she is one of the most frustrating co-hosts ever. She barely ever calls Scarborough on his bullshit and when she does, she backs down in the face of his phony attacks that are straight out of Gingrich/Delay 101. Mika will make a comment and Scarborough will say something like, "Mika, how disappointed would your dad be? He fought Communism and you're a Marxist!" Mika just smiles and says nothing. (Yes, I realize that he's her boss.) Anyway, Tweety's infamous comment of yesterday went down on Scarborough. Missed it? Here it is:

Let’s not forget and I’ll be brutal, the reason [Hillary Clinton] is a U.S. Senator, the reason she’s a candidate for president, the reason she may be a frontrunner is her husband messed around. That’s how she became Senator from New York. She didn’t win there on the merits."

Mika tried to call bullshit, but she's just not a strong enough on-air personality. They should let me on that show. I'd take care of Scarborough quicker than whoever killed that intern that wound up dead in his office.

(I'll stop now.)

Anonymous said...

You're a heartless bastard. I need a blog like I need another fucking hole in my head.

Phil said...

Heartless bastard(s), plural.
What?
Ya ain't got time?
Bullshit.
I think I have seen at least five other people urging you on,you got good stuff.
I'll leave it alone but I said my piece.

Fran / Blue Gal said...

I am Spartacus, the heartless bastid. It's spelled bastid. And I write for five blogs. Shut up and write ONE. You posted today for crying out loud.

Steve would be really proud of you right now, dg.

Phil said...

"It's spelled bastid. "

Great.
I just ordered stationary too.

http://ornerybastard.blogspot.com/

Frank said...

hi

Frank said...

Surprisingly Jonah was telling the truth. If the Republicans hadn't successfully gotten so many scumbags elected to high office Americans wouldn't have had such a good object lesson on how fucked up the Republican agenda is.

Anonymous said...

OK. I'm gonna do it, mainly because a shitty punk like me actually having the incredible honor of being the Grandblogson of Steve Gilliard is so ridiculous that it appeals to my sense of the absurd.

My blog is at

http://physioprof.wordpress.com/

There ain't jack shit there yet, but I'm working on my blogmission statement, which I will post soon.

Phil said...

Woo Hoo!
I already bookmarked it and left a comment.
Right on dude.

Mr. Natural said...

Right ya are Phis! I happened to click up MSNBC this morning only because I occasionally enjoy Olbermann and thought there might be other good stuff on it. Didn't see ANY of the aforementioned 'good stuff', just what you so accurately described. What a shame - such a shitty shame, I think it should be some sort of crime against humanity.

Jill said...

Hey, Physioprof...consider yourself blogrolled as soon as I get home tonight. And if you think you might find yourself wanting to spew some bile about Tweety, e-mail me at brilliantatbreakfast at gmail. I'm still looking for a few good contributors to Sweet Jesus I Hate Chris Matthews.

Anonymous said...

Just blogrolled Brilliant at Breakfast.

Woody (Tokin Librul/Rogue Scholar/ Helluvafella!) said...

Mika just smiles and says nothing. (Yes, I realize that he's her boss.)

to be fair to Mika, she mightn't want to piss off a guy in whose offices there has already been found the corpse of one dead girl...

Anonymous said...

Nowadays Teevee shows are just presence to create controversies, if they didn't get any then they'll go for a silly shows like this. Their moto is nothing but increase the viewer ship and revenue...
Breakdown Recovery