Saturday, May 13, 2006

The robes are cute,


but now get your ass back into that nice crotchless number I bought you.

And do that little dance you do. Uncle Jerry luuuuvs to see his ladies shake their sassy Corinthians one and two.

Really brings in the carraige trade.

C'mon, chop-chop. I runnin' a business here fer Christ's Sake!

This from the WaPo.

McCain Reconnects With Liberty University
Senator May Have an Eye Toward 2008 as He Reaches Out to Religious Conservatives
By Dan Balz

...
LYNCHBURG, Va., May 13 -- Six years after labeling the Rev. Jerry Falwell one of the political "agents of intolerance," Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) delivered the commencement address Saturday at Falwell's Liberty University, and vigorously defended his support for the war in Iraq while saying that opponents have a moral duty to challenge the wisdom of a conflict that has exacted a huge toll on the nation.

McCain's presence on the campus here was as remarkable as what he had to tell the graduating class of 2006, given his clashes with religious conservatives during his 2000 campaign for president. His appearance continued a rapprochement that has been underway for months with a critical constituency in the Republican Party as McCain prepares for another possible campaign in 2008.
...

Neither McCain nor Falwell made even an oblique reference to past differences. After his loss to George W. Bush in the South Carolina primary in 2000, an angry McCain went to Virginia Beach to challenge the power of Christian conservative leaders in the Republican Party and singled out Falwell and the Rev. Pat Robertson by name. Unexpectedly, he set fire to his own campaign.

His differences then with Falwell and Robertson came principally over campaign finance reform, but his words carried a far harsher message about the power of the religious right. A day later, McCain used the word "evil" to describe his opponents, but afterward, he and his advisers regretted it.

Falwell's visit last September began a process of reconciliation between the two men. "The senator did what I do quite often: spoke out of his emotions and later felt bad about it," Falwell said of that 2000 incident. But in their meeting, he
said, "no apologies were asked for or given."

Asked whether he believes their reconciliation helps McCain politically, Falwell, in a telephone interview on Friday, said, "I don't think there's any question about that. There are 80 million evangelicals in this country. My intent was to say that John McCain and I are friends, that I respect him and that there are no problems with yesterday."

...
Others said McCain will have to demonstrate more consistent respect for religious and social conservatives. "John McCain has to get in line behind a number of other people that have already won our respect and admiration and, in some cases, already our support," said the Rev. Louis P. Sheldon, chairman of the Traditional Values Coalition.
...

Wow. So in other words once you’ve decided to sell your soul and your last shred of dignity out to the Right, you now actually have to stand in line -- hat in hand, dutifully knobbing all the Christopath Frat Brothers -- to complete the transaction.

Well at least we finally, definitively know who wears the jodhpurs and carriers the crop in that loveless marriage.

And as the Christopaths move in for the final killshot on what little scrap of rag and bone was left the Conservative Movement, in came this spoonful of vomit (via Steve Gilliard) from the Fake Left...

Is she nuts?


Silly slackers, vote for me

'SLACKER' ATTACK ON HILL

EXPERT: SHE'S WRONG -
GEN. Y SAVVY & $TRONG

By IAN BISHOP and DEVIN SMITH

May 13, 2006 -- Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton got it half right when she told the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that the instant-gratification generation thinks "work is a four-letter word," the chamber's expert on young employees told The Post.

The work guru, Rick Corcoran, said Clinton hit the nail on the head when she insisted Generation Y has an sense of entitlement - but missed the boat when she accused them of not pulling their weight in the American economy.
.......................

"They're going to find, in their 20s, the work-life balance that their parents have sought their whole lives."

But it's the Gen Y'ers in their 20s and tail end of Generation X'ers who've been driving the economy by dominating the high-tech field - the scientific sector that Clinton and President Bush agree America needs to dominate in order to succeed in the future.
..................

Clinton touched off the generation war Thursday, saying Gen Y'ers "don't know what work is. They think work is a four-letter word."

She added: "America didn't happen by accident. A lot of people worked really hard. They've got to do their part, too."

Clinton grumbled that today's youths "think they're entitled to go right to the top with $50,000 or $75,000 jobs when they have not done anything to earn their way up."

She made no mention of her daughter, Chelsea, 26, who snagged a six-figure consulting spot in the New York office of London-based McKinsey & Company after receiving her master's degree from Oxford in 2003.

The comments by the Democrats' 2008 White House front-runner is surprising considering how she's rolled out a massive marketing blitz to court them into her camp - and so far it has worked. Polls show 18- to 35-year-olds are her biggest base of support.

Lazy? This from a woman who's Oxford educated daughter is a consultant at McKinsey, best known for Enron and making six figures a year?

...

Come on, who can defend this stupidity? Fundraising with Murdoch, insulting her base voters, talking up how nice Bush is? What the hell does she believe in anyway?


McCain and Clinton were reportedly last seen in the Senatorial Showers, dosed to the retinas on crank and absinthe.

Scrubbing each other down with steel wool and stool softener.

Weeping.

And loudly ranting out a filthy sea chanty about pirates and whores and how astonished they were to find they were both appearing, along with Jerry Effing Falwell, in this, driftglass' 600th post.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fine piece of writing to celebrate the milestone. I look forward to the next 600. May you blog in interesting times, so that your material will practically write itself.

Mr. Natural said...

Fuck Hillary AND those two puke bags at the top of your post! What rotten people. I hope when the gates of hell drop open they end up in dogshit to thier shoulders alongside Bush and the rest...AND that there is a viewing platform!

FUCK EM, YA HEAR ME?

Anonymous said...

..."looks like i picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue"....

congrats on the staying power drifty....

Eli said...

I wonder how much I could get for *my* soul on eBay.

roxtar said...

So, you've got 114 to catch the Babe and 155 ties you with Hammerin' Hank. Suppose the other blogs will interrupt regular programming as you approach these milestones?

Anonymous said...

What the fuck!?!
Sorry, man, I was raised in a very, very, very, did I mention very, conservative "christian" home/community. Anything about these assholes just pisses me off. They are the evil opposite of anything Christ-like. I think Jesus would be appalled. That whole, "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; ......
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart form me, ye that work iniquity."
Matt7:21/23

Or how about Matt 25:41-43: "Then shall he say also unto them...Depart from me....For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not."

Sorry, man, but I'm posting on a Sunday morning, the correct time to preach a sermon, eh? ;-)

Guess that I'm "in the spirit" because yesterday I started an interesting book "Stealing Jesus:How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity." I'm not very far into it, but am already struck by how different my upbring was from the author's.

People who don't know how the fundies are from the inside out, people who are thoughtful and reasonable; just don't have a clue how horrible it is in there. Whew. I could not run far enough away!

As for Hilary. She's just wrong for America. I hope that she does not get the nod as the dem to beat. She cannot win. And if she did, I don't think she would be the answer to what ails this country.
Of course, that begs the question, who is the answer? Damned if I know. We're in a deep hole here, and no one seemed capable/interested/honest enough to lead us out of this mess.

And the kids today aren't slackers. Trust me here. I work with a bunch of twenty-odd year olds. They do their work. They just don't want to be consumed by their work. They want a life as well. And more power to them.

Jesus Christ, these is long. I will step off the soap box, and give someone else a chance to weight in, gees.

Oh, congrats on that 600th post. Just keep rolling 'em out and shockin' and awin' us. Thanks man.

Anonymous said...

"this" is long
d'oh!

Mister Roboto said...

Guess that I'm "in the spirit" because yesterday I started an interesting book "Stealing Jesus:How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity." I'm not very far into it, but am already struck by how different my upbring was from the author's.

People who don't know how the fundies are from the inside out, people who are thoughtful and reasonable; just don't have a clue how horrible it is in there. Whew. I could not run far enough away!


Just so I'm absolutely clear, you're saying your upbringing was more unpleasant and dysfunctional than the author's?

I wish more people had access to such information. The modern fundies have a mastery of proppaganda that would have Joseph Goebbels have spontaneous multiple orgasms. They're really good at trotting out people who say they were "saved" from whatever (New Age theology, atheism, the "homosexual lifestyle", etc.)by being "born again", and now they're so happy and content fulfilled and know in their hearts and souls that they've found the one and only true way.

It's my evaluation that there are a lot of decent and otherwise intelligent people out there who are very vulnerable to this sort of evangelism because they're lonely and insecure in a fucked-up society. Knowing what the fundie subculture is really like would probably give them "the other side of the story" that they need to hear.

Anonymous said...

Conga rats, driftglass!

Hillary & McCain...feh, they're whores.

Falwell...there is no word in any of the three languages I know that is filthy enough for him. I think a new language needs to be invented, which should consist purely of vituperation and epithet, to be used solely to describe the GOP.

Anonymous said...

Terry: I have "Stealing Jesus" in my bookcase. I don't agree with every last thing Bawer says, but he makes sense about 99% of the time.

L&L: I recommend "Stealing Jesus" if you can find a copy.

Eddie: Surely you can't be serious!

Drifty: Kudos on reaching 600!

"And the seasons go round and round/And the painted ponies go up and down/We're captive on the carousel of time/We can't return, we can only look/Behind from where we came/And go round and round and round in the circle game"--Joni Mitchell, "The Circle Game"

[I turned 43 yesterday]

From the swamps of Arkansas, Kid Charlemagne

jurassicpork said...

What's with the Manos, Hands of Fate robe that Falwell's wearing?

Does that make McCain Torgo?

dcnative said...

Congrats to Kid Ch and you too, DG, on your respective landmarks.

Re: the fundy question - I do worry that, as much as we bash them, they still are Kings of Organizing and Proselytizing not just their religious beliefs, but their political ones too. I hope we learn from them that we have to get away from our computers and get out and get involved this election cycle to beat them.

Falwell got McCain to kow-tow. Hillary, well... she's looking for the highest part of the middle road in a desperate attempt to win for herself, not the country. And she doesn't think much of us bloggers. We need to prove Dean right in his fight against the DLC, Podesta and his ilk, that engaging us makes a difference.

I don't want us all weeping in our cups in November, blaming voting machines when we might be needing to point the finger at our very talkative but inactive selves for losses in Congress, state houses and governors' races.

Start looking for ways to get involved this summer. If they can do it for Jehovah, we'll need to do it for our cause too.

jurassicpork said...

Hey, btw, congrats on your 600th post. Doesn't look as if I'll be catching up with you any time soon. I've barely cracked 500, myself.

Btw, I'll be mentioning Falwell and McCain in rather vivid terms in my upcoming Assclowns of the Week: Happy Motherfucker's Day Edition.

Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ! Charlemagne, Arkansas is the place that I ran so far away from.

And L&L, yes my upbringing was very different than the author's. His family's religious history was both Protestant and Catholic. His neighbors were Catholic. He went to a Protestant Sunday school. His classmates were Jews. His mother was very clear that he was to be baptized only when he felt ready.
He was exposed to different people, faiths, and ideas. His mother defended his right to explore different "brands" of faith, to see what appealed to him.

My religious upbring was more like: You are going to Hell. Even if one bad thought crosses your mind, it will negate all the good that you have done. All those other "religions" out there are cults. Cults, I say! Southern Baptists? Goin' to Hell for being too liberal. Don't ask questions! (And I was really bad about this, even as a kid.)
Anyhoo, that's it in a nutshell.

I have read a little more of the book today, and I think the author, Bawer, has hit the nail on the head, by dividing Christians into legalists and nonlegalists: or the Church of Law and the Church of Love. And pointing out that the self-described "Christians" of one group, would strongly disagree with the other group self-describing themselves as "Christians."
Who is more Chist-like? Who decides what "Christian" means? These are good questions.

L&L, addressing that whole issue of "lost" (in every sense of the word) souls who are looking for answers, looking for someone to tell them how to live, I want to share something. I remember when a local hospital put in a prayer garden with a labyrinth and got a write-up in the local paper. Someone wrote a letter to the editor saying how foolish people were to walk in circles and meditate/pray, because all one needs is Jesus. Like one prayer, to accept Jesus, answered all his angst, and ended all his questioning. Like only a damned person would need to reflect on God. Only a damned fool (a damned-to-hell fool) would walk in a circle.

Driftglass, sorry. I seemed to have highjacked the thread.

Anonymous said...

"Rapprochement?" McCain is seeking a "rapprochement" with the fringe fucktards? Isn't "rapprochement" French for flip-flop?
Oh, and insulting the 20-somethings? Smart, Hil. Real smart. That scolding, it worked real well for Joementum. It'll seem even smarter when they rise up and vote for Feingold in the primaries. "Feingold Shocks Clinton" will be the headline in the Manchester Union Leader.

Anonymous said...

Terry--I understand the reasons Bawer chose the names he did, but I have trouble seeing law as a bad thing, so I prefer "Church of Peace" and "Church of War", which seems especially appropriate in the Doofus Maximus administration, since the Church-of-War folks tend to be among the most enthusiastic about the war.

I have mixed feelings about Arkansas, but I never loathed it strongly enough to move heaven and earth to leave it.

Drifty--I notice Bushevik cultists almost never show up here, unlike on The News Blog, from which you're something of a spinoff. I find that a refreshing change from David Corn's blog, where I still post sometimes, though not so frequently as I once did.
I wonder--do they simply not know you, or do they fear your katana-like mind?

Anonymous said...

Why is John McCain smiling at Baron Harkonnen?

Anonymous said...

What time does the blimp go up? Isn't overindulging on food a sin?

Conservatism is an illness.

Anonymous said...

Drifty: Congrats. For really scary stuff, check out the website Butterflies and Wheels-I need to get my passport, because we are heading for Handmaiden's Tale at a more and more rapid pace

Terry: Given the basic theme of Christianity (Old Testament Plunder and Rap and Torture aside) is "Accept the one single plan (i.e., that I, the Lord God, tortured myself/my own son for YOU) or you will be tortured forever and ever," forgive me if I find the Gnostic heresy more believable (i.e., Jehovah as one messed up, mean, evil (God of this World) fragment of the true Godhood.

Anonymous said...

USBlues: "A fine piece of writing..."

It sure was. :o)

Will McCain and Hillary have a coin-flip, to see who gets to pimp whom?

John:

"Hil, you've got a snatch. It'll be easier for me to run you. 'umkay""

Hillary:

"True, the "snatch" part, John; but YOUR bunghole, ever since John Keating so lovingly probed it, and then little george, down in South Cackalack, so joyfully reamed it, has name recognition that Paris Hilton would kill for. And now that Jerry Falwell and his "80-million evengelicals" have carnal knowledge of your anal shpincter, how could I possibly match that?
"Pimpin' hole" is a great street term but there wasn't specificity about WHICH hole got pimped. With the way things are going, at this point, Halliburton and Bechtel are as gender-neutral as a bunch of classical Greeks.

So, John-boy; your lust for the chance to do corporate soixante-neuf on the oval office rug, is probably 2 microns stronger than mine. Bend over and spread your cheeks. With what you've been taking up the poop-chute, no vaseline needed."

Anonymous said...

'Pork, I, too, was wondering about Jerry's raiment-so-fine. :o)

In his black-with-red-service-hashmarks-jalaba, He looks like a cross between some Heironymus Bosch version of the robed anti-christ and Jabba the Hut.

tech98 said...

Where's Princess Leia with the gold bikini?

Anonymous said...

Git een mah belly!

What a foul, corpulent scrotepuscle.

Anonymous said...

Kid Charlemagne,
From my experience the "church of law" was correct, unless you prefer "church of rules." Not just "thou shall not kill." But: no drinking, no dancing, don't say that word, don't watch that movie/tv show, don't listen to that music, don't be friends with that person, don't dress that way, don't buy this company's products because they are a satanic company, blah, blah, blah, ad nauseum.

Brian Miller,
Um, did I leave you with the impression that I was *for* Jerry Falwell and his ink? I'm confused by your statement. To be clear, I am not a fan.

Anonymous said...

Not at all, terry of the c.a. I wasn't menaing to dig at you personally.

I was just expressing my more general distrust of the desert monotheisms. A God who could condemn us all for eternity of torture because we are inherently made "flawed" unless we for some reason find solace in the horrific self-immolation. Wasn;t there a reason, perhaps, that 1/3 of the angels rebelled? Jehovah is the God of this World.

Anonymous said...

Brian Miller,
I didn't take it as a personal dig; I was just confused.

Anonymous said...

I belong to a church (I'm United Methodist) that doesn't put a lot of emphasis on hellfire. The evangelist Dwight Moody, although he believed in a literal hell, did not talk much about it, either; he said "Terror never brought a man in yet." All understandings of God, whether mine, yours, or those of the Church Fathers or writers of Scripture, are incomplete understandings.

Justice was a brutal and grim affair in the old days, so they saw post-mortem justice in the same light. They did not understand that torture was sinful in all circumstances, even as punishment for legitimately guilty people, just as they did not understand that slavery was always sinful.

I do not say this to disparage my predecessors in the faith. To borrow Newton's comment on scientific progress, if I see farther than they, it is because I stand on their shoulders. (I had a long night at work, so this may sound a bit disjointed.)

I think Hell is a "hospital" of sorts, for sick souls. Also, it is not a physical location, but a spiritual condition (same for Heaven, for that matter). I don't think God turns His back on his errant children after death, either. To Him, what's the huge difference between 10 minutes before death and 10 minutes after? I suspect the REAL answer is that a God who is that utterly merciful and seeks TRUE, redemptive justice rather than bloody-minded vengeance, is a God who is quite useless for frightening exploited slaves, peasants, and other workers into obeying an unrighteous social order--which has been a major function of the Church ever since it became the official religion of the Roman Empire, thus acquiring vested interests in an unrighteous social order, based on slavery.

I find some attractive features in Gnosticism, myself. It has occurred to me that now that we no longer require any guiding intelligence to explain the origin and function of the material universe and the living things in it, a truly monotheistic Gnosticism is now possible: the Gnostic need no longer postulate a second, less benign and/or less wise, godlike entity (the Demiurge, as he's called) to make the physical universe of pain and death--NO ONE made the universe.

Grace and Peace, Kid Charlemagne

Anonymous said...

Wow. A great essay, K.C.

Makes my somewhat petulant (and immature) agnosticism a little less defensible. :) (I'll admit it)

Sadly, as many of us "fallen away" folks would attest, we do associate "God" with all the negatives of oppression, fear, and control that you list. We have allowed the darker forces that have dominated organized religion to define spirituality.

Still: I'm not sure, and that's why I claim to be a "militant agnostic." There are things described in the Life of Christ that bother me a bit, quite frankly. The very idea of God torturing himself to save us from breaking his own rules bothers me.

Oh well. We shouldn't hijack Drifty's excellent thread. :)

Anonymous said...

"We shouldn't hijack Drifty's excellent thread"
Oh, it's waaay too late for that! (chuckles)
I also apologized for that once already, way up thread.

I personally don't associate "God" with all the negatives; I associate "church" or "religion" with all the negatives.

Now I think I will go read all that great new stuff that Drifty has posted up topside.

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

I really liked of your site. I love finding sites and blogs that have interesting content. If you have time please visit mine at hypnosis

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Oyez legal stationery Pornstar tiffany A and s travel Executives of fremont investment and loan Boating classified acuvue contact coupon code chela student loans atlanta commericial estate loan real Nvidia ultra tnt2 video card poor credit home loan peatross rosacea chemicals used in freezers Meryle norman cosmetics