Friday, January 12, 2018

Professional Left Podcast #423: Our Eighth Anniversary Show


"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."
-- Pat Robertson, God-Fearin', Lifelong Republican
Don't forget to visit our new website -- http://www.proleftpod.com -- for all of the sweet bells and whistles:  there are links to donate to our podcast work at that site, as well as links to our swingin' Zazzle merch store,  our respective blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Kittehs! and much more. Many thanks once again to @theologop for building it all for us!


Links:


The Professional Left is brought to you by our wholly imaginary "sponsors" -- 







-- and real listeners like you!




2 comments:

dinthebeast said...

The way I heard it, the "clean up" tweet was written by Kelly, so we don't even have evidence that Fergus knows which way his own policy goes, even still.
Your section on language made me think of my own online writing voice, which I have adopted deliberately. I feel there needs to be more forceful and direct language deployed by liberals online when they talk politics, policy, or government, so for myself, I have adopted a cross between the bikers I grew up around and the Rude Pundit. Profanity, not just for its own sake, but in the service of the tone I try to achieve. Kind of like the accent marks on a page of music.
There's a book by Daniel Quinn called "The Story of B" that I think about quite a bit. In it, a Catholic priest is sent to investigate a man in Germany who is preaching a new kind of gospel, one more in line with animism than Catholicism, and mostly concerned with the damage we are inflicting upon our planet. The man calls himself "B" and he has a few followers who, to varying degrees, are fluent with the message he's delivering. After B is murdered, the priest tries to take up his mantle and become "B" himself, and at the end of the book, Quinn intimates that the reader, by virtue of having absorbed the information in the book, have themselves also become "B".
In a way, it's a bit of a cheap literary trick to invite readers to more personally identify with a message he believes to be important, but I've seen it work in real life, and have been searching for ways to employ it among people I know.
I have it easy in that respect, though, as there aren't many Republicans in my personal orbit (read that: one) so for me, it's more about encouraging people who already agree on one level or another to pay more attention and take it more seriously.
Thank you for eight years of these excellent podcasts, and for making four of my friends' cats famous...

-Doug in Oakland

Robt said...

I can't believe the word "Shithole". Came out of a penis hole.

The hole where Putin likes to put his penis when meeting with Trump.