Monday, August 19, 2013

A Sermon on Conservatism

UNITY
From Isiah, Chapter Five, "The Song of the Vineyard",

I will sing for the one I love
    a song about his vineyard:
My loved one had a vineyard
    on a fertile hillside.
He dug it up and cleared it of stones
    and planted it with the choicest vines.
He built a watchtower in it
    and cut out a winepress as well.
Then he looked for a crop of good grapes,
    but it yielded only bad fruit.
“Now you dwellers in Jerusalem and people of Judah,
    judge between me and my vineyard.
What more could have been done for my vineyard
    than I have done for it?
When I looked for good grapes,
    why did it yield only bad?
Now I will tell you
    what I am going to do to my vineyard:
I will take away its hedge,
    and it will be destroyed;
I will break down its wall,
    and it will be trampled.
I will make it a wasteland,
    neither pruned nor cultivated,
    and briers and thorns will grow there.
I will command the clouds
    not to rain on it.”

Conservatism went mad and died because of the crop Conservatives planted 40 years ago and have been lovingly tending ever since.

They sowed the wind and are reaping the whirlwind.

All else is merely commentary.

6 comments:

Lawrence said...

The vines, in this case, are not grapes, but some hybrid of a blackberry and a nightshade. They have the tenacity and softness of the former while bearing the fruit of the latter.

Jack said...

Yeah. I think we're all reaping the whirlwind. And it's only getting whirlwindier.

Very few things aggravate me as much as liberals who say that the GOP is in the process of self-destructing. Conservatives/wingnuts/extremists/loons are as powerful as ever, and getting more powerful by the day.

Especially with this Snowden thing: places I used to go (online) where people were mostly anti-GOP and pro-Obama/pro-Democrat (if only reservedly), are now openly spewing Glenn Greenwald/Glenn Beck talkings points to the effect of "OMFG Obama is a dictator king and he's reading all our emails!!!1!"

There have been so many lies told about what the NSA is up to, and so many people accept those lies uncritically, I don't think we will ever get the truth out.

Mark Twain was obviously stuck in the 19th century when he said that lies can make it half way around the world while the truth is putting it's boots on. I think we're at a point now where lies can make it half way to Alpha Centauri - and the truth will never be known. Let's face it: The damange of Greenwald's Rand Paul-friendly lies about the NSA will never be undone.

BTW: Like you and Blue Gal, I was bitching about the Bush/Cheney police state twelve years ago when it started, and spent a decade complaining about it until I was blue in the face. But no one cared. For our efforts we were called "traitors" who wanted the terrorists to win.

But now we have to accept every jot and tittle of Greenwald's deranged meanderings or we are *apologists* for the surveillance state?

Sorry; I'm not going to be lectured to by that asshole or the neo-Confederate libertarians he's in love with.

Anonymous said...

I have a little garden

A garden all my own

And there it is a carefully tend

The seeds that I have sown

Anonymous said...

Jack,

I remember telling conservatives back in 2003 that they wouldn't like those surveillance powers when President Clinton would be exploiting them. I was only wrong about which Dem would be in charge.

Now I get to be called a partisan bootlicker by people who don't care about getting the facts right so long as the distortions serve their grand purpose; so ironic.

-- Nonny Mouse

Unknown said...

Not a 'partisan' bootlicker - but a bootlicker of the ruling class in general and its repressive apparatus in particular.

Facts are stubborn things. They remain despite the character flaws you discover in Greenwald, Snowden et al. They remain even when Droneglass and his followers don't wish to be informed (without NSA approval).

Anonymous said...

That's nice, Lumpy. Having seen quite a bit of your character, I'm content with your scorn.

The facts are not in dispute.

The way those facts are used by biased parties is what is objectionable. That you cannot wrap your head around this distinction, or don't care to acknowledge it, is why 90% of what you say is insults, slogans, and screeching.

-- Nonny Mouse